1kW Xenon Arc Tank Light

jake-cutter

Newly Enlightened
Picked up my Vss-3 today. It came with the light, mounting plate, cable for light to control box and the control box. Need to have a cable moade for the power source. Is there anybody here that can help me with the power cable? Looking for one to hook into the slave receptacle on my HMMWV and use the vehicle as my power source.

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sure most people build their own. I built one for member BVH a few years back and just finished building one for mine yesterday.
IDK where one would find a stock connector/cable. BVH sent me the connector for mine, not sure where he got them.

BVH

Flashaholic
Picked up my Vss-3 today. It came with the light, mounting plate, cable for light to control box and the control box. Need to have a cable moade for the power source. Is there anybody here that can help me with the power cable? Looking for one to hook into the slave receptacle on my HMMWV and use the vehicle as my power source.

Is that the smaller "remote control" box or the full-size control box. It's hard to tell at the angle? It looks quite different from the VSS-3A box (there is a difference)

I was just ready to place an order to a source in Israel for 4 extra newer style lamps for these lights. Do you want one or more? They are $140.00 shipped to me and then whatever shipping is from me to you. Or if you want to deal with him, I can provide the contact info.

I buy most my connectors from a source here in Calif that is usually cheaper than going with the usual big electronics suppliers. Let me know if you want the contact info.

Last edited:

jake-cutter

Newly Enlightened
Its the full size control box I think see below. For now, I will pass on the spare lamp, but would like to know your source for the connectors. I believe for the power cable I need an MS3108B32-5S as shown in the link below and the connector for the wire to feed through. I have a slave plug already, but would need someone to make the cable for me as my solder skills are lacking.

http://www.galco.com/buy/Fujikura-Formerly-DDK/DMS3108B32-5S

http://www.galco.com/buy/Fujikura-Formerly-DDK/DMS3057-20A

jake-cutter

Newly Enlightened
I will switch the pictures to imgur or another hosting company later this week. As for making the cable FRITZHID, I will probably take up on that. What do you think about using the Amphenol type connectors I listed, about 5 or 6 ft of wire and then a quick disconnect of some sort (similar to welding quick disconnects or flat quick disconnects like the ones in the link below). That way I can add or subtract length and only worry about making a cable with the quick disconnect end and not messing with the Amphenol connector. That way I could mount it on the vehicle and use a short end quick connect cable or in a trailer and use a long cable with the same quick connect end. Just not sure what size wire and the amp is on these lights to know which quick connector is better.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B014FEV6EU/

BVH

Flashaholic
The Amphenol connector numbers are in this old post: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...c-Tank-Light&p=1871898&viewfull=1#post1871898 The connector and strain relief you link are very close, if not cheaper than my source - Connector Distribution Corp. I'd buy em before they raise the price.

I did exactly what you are talking about doing - using the quarter-turn welding quick connectors on the other end of my input cables. They work great. I would not use the 50 Amp connectors you link to. The light runs on about 58 Amps once settled and up to 100 Amps at startup. If you want something like that, go to Powerwerx.com and look at the Anderson variety. They look almost the same. Buy the 175 Amp size - https://powerwerx.com/anderson-sb-connectors-sb175-175amp

Last edited:

jake-cutter

Newly Enlightened
BHV, do you have a link to the welding quick connectors you used? I ordered the Amphenol connectors from Galco so that's at least done.

jake-cutter

Newly Enlightened
Wow another VSS-3 owner with a HMMWV mounting platform. Small world.
Have fun with it.
NL

Yours was one of the two HMMWV's that I found with VSS-3 mounted and I knew I had to have one. Need to fab a mount similar to yours or like the one on the g503 forums that mounts on the regular pintle.

On a side note, does anyone know if the mounting holes on the bottom are in the exact same location on the VSS-3 and the VSS-3A? I would think so, but want to confirm.

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
I would guess so however I only have one so I can't compare . I believe they both fit the same base plate on the tank .
I think they were the same physical se just one had clipped corners.
I can look through my manual and see if it has some actual technical measurements.

nealitc

Newly Enlightened
The Amphenol connector numbers are in this old post: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...c-Tank-Light&p=1871898&viewfull=1#post1871898 The connector and strain relief you link are very close, if not cheaper than my source - Connector Distribution Corp. I'd buy em before they raise the price.
(Yeah, a bit delayed reply.)
Fujikura (Formerly DDK) clones from Galco are significantly less expensive than Amphenol.
jake-cutter has links in this post http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...c-Tank-Light&p=5162424&viewfull=1#post5162424

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
That one has been on and off Ebay for a couple of years. I don't know if it belongs to anyone here or not. Price is high. Nice power supply that goes with it but a bit under powered. The light wants about 100 Amps momentarily when starting and his ad makes it sound like the PS is not really up to the job, having to multiple-strike it sometimes. Steady running is more like 54-60 Amps depending on the fine tuning of the Voltage so it's right at the max of the PS. He's running it at about 27 Volts in the pic. If cranked up to the full 28.8, it would probably be drawing 58 Amps.

Last edited:

Phased_Array

Newly Enlightened
I don't know how many of us have the -3's. I have a source for 11 lamps. I've purchased from them before with good results. Any takers? If all 11 are purchased, we can get them for $125 each shipped to my door and then a few dollars more for me to ship to individuals.

I still have my AN/VSS-3. A complete setup with a 'military power supply' for 110VAC use. I welded up a AN/VSS-3 mount kit for my roof mounted 50cal pintle mount on my HMMWV, plugs right in to the HMMWV power.