1x 18650 no mode tiny flashlight

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
the astrolux a01 has "next mode memory". It has memory, so it remembers what mode you used last, but turns on in the next mode. Worst ui ever, and on top of it all it got slow pwm. I owned mine for one day before i gifted it to someone.. in anger.. Use it in med and turn it off. The next time i want to use it, it comes on in hi, because the last mode i used was medium. So lets say i just use the high mode, then turn it off. The next tme it comes on in lo........

And the emisar d4, is small for a 18650 light. Atleast compared with 99% of the other 18650 lights on the marked.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Filled out flashlight template for opening post indicates a desire for 1 to 150 lumens: not sure how that can be done without modes unless maybe a person has a 150 lumen light and is able to throttle it down with finger obstruction or some other method.

Convoy S2+ can be programmed by Randy at FlexPRO to be one mode, with the ability to change it later. Perhaps someone could cheaply make a S2+ with desired feature.

Emissar D4 can be clicked 4 times, putting it in momentary max, though that is too bright.

Zebralight can be used by just holding the button down until desired light level is achieved. Those familiar with the new programmable models could possibly assist in initial programming.

thslw8jg

Enlightened
If you are comfortable replacing a driver, there are drivers with Gppydrv firmware with 22 programmable mode groups available, with single mode as an option

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
@alf_17 well, if I can solder a new board on it, that should be ok

https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/pro...uit-board-Anti-reverse/330416_1008719522.html

https://nl.aliexpress.com/store/pro...it-board-Anti-reverse/330416_32256437472.html

One of those two I assume?

I also found this one, it's the Convoy in single mode but it's UV:

https://www.banggood.com/Convoy-S2-...-1024097.html?rmmds=category&cur_warehouse=CN

@jorn Well, then I guess that was a waste of 5 euro's then. I overlooked thart part. That's a shame even that small light has modes. That next mode memmory thing is very common sadly

@KITROBASKIN I thought most flashlights were below 150 lumens. I prefer usable hours over super bright. I don't care if it's 75 or 500 lumens, as long as I can walk over that dark path without falling, look under the couch, check inside the usb port of my cell phone. Just normal stuff. I can't find Randy at FlexPro but I assume that getting someone to mod a 12 euro flashlight for me is a bit much. Zebralights are expensive, as far as I can tell.

@thslw8jg Sorry, I have no idea what you mean.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is PFlexPRO but may be more than you are willing to pay.

Seems like you are OK with a few lumens or something more powerful. For those people who lose flashlights easily, perhaps the less expensive models will suffice.

What about a MiniMag and forego the 18650 capability?

alf_17

Newly Enlightened

Exactly, dependent on how much power you want in the light.
You could choose the one with 8 pcs. 7135's, and if you find it to make the light too bright you can always solder the 7135 chips of one at a time until you reach a desirable light level.
If you don't want to go by trial and error with removing chips one at a time there is a more scientific method.
Each 7135 delivers around 350mA, so if you know how many milliamps you want to drive the LED with you could divide this by 350 to know approximately how many chips to leave on the board.
You could use a benchtop powersupply capable of limiting the amps to drive the LED directly so you can figure out how many milliamps you want.

As your demand for the single mode is for simplicity, the use of a dedicated single mode board instead of a multi mode board programmed to single mode is preferable, as the dedicated single mode board does not have a microcontroller, which is another possible point of failure.

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
@KITROBASKIN I got 2 of the mini maglites, although a bit older, but they aren't powerful enough to look under the couch or even see my white/amber cat in the dark. Maybe with a LED upgrade they might be fine?

@alf_17 I've made wiring harnasses for multiple bikes, connected all the lights and extra stuff needed like horns, tiny compressors etc. That stuff I get. That 7135 stuff you mention, I wouldn't know where to start. Also, the only benchtop PSU I have is a bike battery.

I really didn't expect this to be such a difficult one. My father is also complaining about his flashlight that it has all those useless modes. Most people I've seen that have flashlights have on/off flashlights.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
How much run time do you actually need?

Most single mode 18650 powered lights are going to be way too bright for your basic uses you describe.

For looking under the couch for something or under the cat, a 1AA Coast HX5 for $20 or Maglite Solitaire LED for $10 would serve those functions just fine.

The HX5 has a push button tail switch with momentary activation by pushing the button partially and you can lock it on by pushing the button until it clicks.

For the Maglite Solitaire, you tighten the head slightly to turn it on. It is way brighter than your old 2AA Mimi Mags.

I use NiMh rechargables in the above lights and swap the single battery for a fresh one when they start to dim.

The Streamlight Microstream is s another 1AAA light that would likely meet your needs.

My impression is that the multi-mode lights that you've tried operate similarly to many Nebo and other inexpensive multi-mode lights that either require you to cycle through the remaining modes to turn the light off or turn on in the next mode the next time you turn the light on. I also despise lights that operate that way, but there are many mult-brightness lights that can be turned on reliably in the exact mode that you desire without guesswork or surprises after you play with it for a day or two.

I will be interested in what you finally decide on.

Bazar

Newly Enlightened
Most single 18650 lights will have multiple modes. The Emisar D4 has a ramp feature so would not work for you, but if it did, it would be great. Maybe go smaller to a single AA light, the coast hp1 or similar come to mind, one mode. I used mine for a long time until I dropped it crossing the road and it got ran over by a bus, still works but it flickers. A key chain flashlight would even work for most of your purposes.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe go smaller to a single AA light, the coast hp1 or similar come to mind, one mode. I used mine for a long time until I dropped it crossing the road and it got ran over by a bus, still works but it flickers. A key chain flashlight would even work for most of your purposes.

Coast no longer lists the HP1 (my HP1 had 2 modes before I lost it)) on their website, but is still for sale at various vendors. The Coast HX1 1AA is a fine single mode light.

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
@LightObsession

I would like "enough" runtime. That's why I kept searching for 18650 flashlights. I know that most 18650 lights are way too bright, I just hoped to find one that isn't. A light with a good battery that lasts a seriously long time without a recharge.

Maglite solitaire might be an option.

I currently got the Astrolux A01 which is horrible. I mean, it works, but when I bought it, I wasn't aware of the modes. It's a disaster. On high it has a nice light output t hough.

I also have the SingFire SF. WIth AAA it's a good light. With the 10440 lights it's not. You can't run the light for more than a minute because the light get's hot, so I run it with AAA. For a normal small flashlight, it's perfect, but I doubt it has a long runtime.

Brutus

Newly Enlightened
It's a "multimode" but what about the emisar d4? It acts like a singlemode and turns on and off with a simple click, but can do way more than that if you want it to. So the ui is based around a one click on off thing with ramping to the level you want, and shortcuts to all the other stuff you wont need :) Goes from silly bright to really dim, set the output you like and youre done. The emisar d4 thread is looong in here, so i guess there is a lot of flashaholics in here that really love the "ramping, single mode" ui, and the silly brightness in a tiny light. A big plus is that it's fairly cheap and you can choose from many types of led's and coulor tempratures.

i bought it. i can't even. this thing is really really epic. i'm really surprised about this light. it's the weirdest thing ever. it just feels so nice and it's so easy. this is like the exact opposite of the mode stuff i'm used to. this thing works so great. thank you (and a few others) for this recommendation.

archimedes

Flashaholic
i bought it. i can't even. this thing is really really epic. i'm really surprised about this light. it's the weirdest thing ever. it just feels so nice and it's so easy. this is like the exact opposite of the mode stuff i'm used to. this thing works so great. thank you (and a few others) for this recommendation.

Glad you like it ... not surprisingly, this has been one of the most popular recent new flashlights around here

:twothumbs

EDIT - You may want to also take a look at the D1 and D1S, newer models from that same brand

That D4 is also now available in a titanium / copper version :D

Last edited: