"200 lumen" DealExtreme CREE light compared to P1D-CE and Maxfire

Byggeren

Newly Enlightened
My C0D CE with freshly charged 10440 is easily outshined by this light, and that is with the DX light on batteries used approximately 10 minutes. There is a clear advantage to the DX light both ceiling bounce and white wall comparison. My DX light is supposed to be the regulated version. Assuming my C0D CE has an output of 140-150 lumens as indicated in other tests with 10440, I have no problem believing this light puts out 200 lumens.

The build quality is very nice, it's surprisingly heavy built, which I think is a good thing for heat distribution. The size is smaller than I expected looking at the images. The threads on the tail cap are smooth as silk, just the opposite of the gritty threads on the JETBeam C-LE.

The light output on low is very similar to the Elly with the CREE mod, the Elly running on NiMH batteries. In other words not very low, but still a lot lower than high :)

This weekend we stayed at a cabin in the mountains, and I got the opportunity to test the light in the snow. On high the hotspot is blindingly bright, so much that you have to be careful not to ruin your night vision completely, you have to let the spill beam do the close work. Actually when walking in snow it is better to use low mode, and just use the high mode for distant viewing.

I am very pleased with this light

cmaylodm

Newly Enlightened
What is the diameter of the reflector? I think this light modded with a Seoul and a new reflector would be awesome!

doc_felixander

Newly Enlightened
diameter at the upper edge is 35mm (1 3/8"), length is 23mm. however there is a lip on the upper edge and a matching groove in the head (so it doesnt't push against the emitter), this means the head gets a bit tighter after 2 or 3 mm.

i already considered putting in a Striker optics which has the same diameter.

emitter

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the very informative and to the point reviews from Luminari, wmpwi and doc_felixander. You 'made me' order one and the dsd charger, already have a bunch of cells to use. I promise lux measurements with an Extech 401036 unless someone beats me to it. I've tinkered so long fitting a lux iii to a 18650, this is too cheap to pass on.

(OT: great seeing ppl from all over here. I know why cmaylodm needs a light, cause I'm from CNY too and the sun never shines here.)

Regarding total lumens measurement, wouldn't it be simple as recording lux readings from the center outwards at a constant radius to the edge of the spill, then integrating the data? I'm not there yet with the math, but I'm slow. Could measure in 'square degrees' then convert to Sr. Doable? I should do a search.

I should have ordered 2, one to open up and modify...

LightScene

Enlightened
How is the throw compared to a D-Mini/LP-Mini?
From the beam shots it looks like the LP-Mini had a brighter hot spot?

itch808

Newly Enlightened
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here or on DX, but will Ultrafire 2400mah protected cells fit? Or are there issues with their size?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
itch808 said:
I didn't see it mentioned anywhere here or on DX, but will Ultrafire 2400mah protected cells fit? Or are there issues with their size?

The tube ID is 19.5mm, I doubt there'll be a problem.

ksonger

Newly Enlightened
oh well, looks like i am hooked by this light. THis all started when i tried to show off a K2 LED light to my sons who are SF fans. One of my son's took me aside and linked me to a cree light and told me to keep looking as K2's were not going to take over the world! :)

ken

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a question. I put two CR123s in the light and just for a second touched my MM leads to it. It jumped to over 3A. What does that say about the drive in this light?

doc_felixander

Newly Enlightened
that it's not made for 2 cr123s, sadly. i tried the same with rechargeable 123s and fried the emitter.
i mean, i's just a simple boost converter, no buck, and somehow the current limiter freaks out at higher voltages.

Byggeren

Newly Enlightened
itch808 said:

That's the battery type I use, no issues at all.

cacer

Newly Enlightened
hi,
i got this light some days ago and use it with the "prtotected 2400 mah ultrafire" 18650 cell.(the cell fits perfectly)

but:

when i put in the fresh charged cell (charged with the ultrafire charger) the light starts blinking(perhaps switching to low for some milli seconds) on high after less than 1 minute .
the blinking starts slow and get faster every second.
when i change to low output no blinking appears.
when i unscrew the tailcap some threads the bliking stopps for some seconds and sometimes comes back.

but when the tailcap is not thightend the contact between cap and body is not stable and when i touch (pull or wobble) the cap , the light flickers or goes out and on.

after the cell drained down a bit(5-10 minutes) i can screw the cap all the way thight and got no blinking or flickering at all.
nearly at the same brightness(by the eye) till at the end the under voltage protection kicks in and the light goes out.

somebody recognized this too?

i mailed DX(how have we performed), but no response.

cacer

itch808

Newly Enlightened
Byggeren said:
That's the battery type I use, no issues at all.

Thanks guys, but cacer's post has me wondering if there are any issues with it again. I ordered mine, I'll see what happens when I get it....

LGCubana

Enlightened
cacer said:
...when i put in the fresh charged cell (charged with the ultrafire charger) the light starts blinking(perhaps switching to low for some milli seconds) on high after less than 1 minute .
the blinking starts slow and get faster every second.
when i change to low output no blinking appears.
when i unscrew the tailcap some threads the bliking stopps for some seconds and sometimes comes back.

but when the tailcap is not thightend the contact between cap and body is not stable and when i touch (pull or wobble) the cap , the light flickers or goes out and on.

after the cell drained down a bit(5-10 minutes) i can screw the cap all the way thight and got no blinking or flickering at all.
nearly at the same brightness(by the eye) till at the end the under voltage protection kicks in and the light goes out...
I'm guessing that you need to clean the threads; for better contact.
---
I was going to add one to my DX order today. But Kyle's response on 2/25/07 threw me. He says that the runtime chart represents the (new) 1200mAh, regulated version.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1285

Last edited:

cacer

Newly Enlightened
LGCubana said:
I'm guessing that you need to clean the threads; for better contact.
---
I was going to add one to my DX order today. But Kyle's response on 2/25/07 threw me. He says that the runtime chart represents the (new) 1200mAh, regulated version.
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.1285

i think he was talking about the old (800mah) regulated version?
his answers often got room left for interpretation ;)

back to my problem:

all threads were cleaned by me before , but i did it again (with no result).

is it possible that this behave is caused by the cell ?
perhaps these ultrafire protected cell is too long, so that it will be compressed too much when tailcap is fully screwed on?or the current draw is too much??

this is my only 18650 cell ,so i will try an fresh charged rcr123 with spacer ...

i will report!
cacer

doc_felixander

Newly Enlightened
i don't think that the cell is too long. there's more than enough space in the barrel.
maybe the current is too high, i have had similar experiences when tinkering around with different inductors. i guess at some point the ic's thermal protection kicks in and causes the blinking (no/too narrow hysteresis or current reduction??)

KnOeFz

Enlightened
cacer said:
perhaps these ultrafire protected cell is too long, so that it will be compressed too much when tailcap is fully screwed on?or the current draw is too much??

You could easily check this by not screwing the tailcap on very tight?

If I remember correctly when this light was first on the DX website Kyle mentioned that with the protected 18650 you couldn't screw the tailcap on all the way... but I can't seem to find that line of text anymore. Maybe someone else remembers it too?

KnOeFz

Enlightened
Hmmm... after using it a couple of days mine now shuts of after about 2 minutes on high :rant:The problem doesn't seem to appear on low.

I'll re-apply some thermal compound between the star and the heatsink to see if that solves the problem. I took it apart and took some pics of the inside, don't remember seeing pics of this yet.

U2pil1.JPG

Note the thick rubber o-ring
U2pil2.JPG

U2pil3.JPG

About the head and body, I do think the head is screwed on. Right in front of the silver colored threading there's also threading in the black annodised part. Not sure though as I can't get it loose.

U2body.JPG

cacer

Newly Enlightened
when i unsrew the tailcap , so that only one thread is used and lay the light on the table the blinking do NOT come.
the more i thighten the cap the faster the bliking apears.

after ca20 min of runtime i can can srew the cap all the way on without blinking.

i tryed a aw 14500 fully charged with spacer without any problems !!

so i think the ultrafire cell is defective .

next week i get some pilas ... i will try it with them.

so i think the light is ok!!!

i also remember the line in the describtion of the first run of this light:
18650 are too long.
but it could bee that this line was written in a describtion of an other light?

thanks for your help.
i will be away for some days and will post again after the work.

cacer