2009 smart fortwo, Are Daniel Stern's 65W H7s a Safe Choice?

jzchen

Enlightened
Hi,

Better ask the experts whether the 2009 smart fortwo wiring can handle the extra wattage? Or what would be the best choice if not? (Thank you in advance! It's for a smart (owner) pal of mine, another SCoA forum member).

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Yes, Stern's 65 watt H7 bulbs will be safe and effective with the '09 Smart ForTwo headlamps and wiring...assuming the headlamps are aimed correctly and in good shape (no lens haze, etc.)

jzchen

Enlightened
Ugh. I got excited because the "Family Data Sheet" has a release date of "November 10, 2021" then upon careful reading of the fine print saw:

"Only applies to the respective countries in which there is approval and the vehicle models and light functions currently listed in the compatibility list."

Sigh...

-Virgil-

Flashaholic
Osram's H7 LED with German national approval in certain specific headlamps is old news...see here. Even if we take the maker's hype at face value as written, the fact that a given bulb (such as one of these H7 LEDs) in a given headlamp (such as one of those on the magic list) might produce a beam pattern considered adequate/legal by a given country...none of that necessarily adds up to meaning the beam pattern is better than (or even as good as) the one produced with the halogen bulb the headlamp was designed to use.

Zooming-in closer on Osram's hype:

up to 220% more brightness compared to the minimum requirements of ECE R112

Whoopy-doo! The minimum requirements of R112 are pathetic. The main seeing points are (0.57D, 1.15R) and (0.86D, 1.72R) with a minimum of 10,100 candela; and (0.86D, V) minimum 5100 candela. A headlamp providing these levels of illumination could only be described with words like "feeble" and "inadequate". Multiply the values by 2.2 (Osram's "220%"...we're disregarding the up-to weaselwords) and the result can be described as "less feeble" and "less inadequate", but pay careful attention here: they're saying this bulb gives performance up to 2.2x the minimum requirements in certain headlamps. Yeah? So? A plain old H7 halogen bulb can do that same exact trick.

up to 5 times longer lifespan compared to halogen lamps

We have to give them this point; it's a gimme.

and an additional 50% less glare.

An "additional 50% less glare" (what does that even mean?) less than...what? I guess that information is on a need-to-know basis.

As Debbie Harry (as "Blondie") sang in her 1981 smash hit "Rapture"*: Don't strain your brain! Just put in the 65w H7s and drive off with significantly better headlight performance and no real downsides or asterisks or cagey language.

*Now I'm really dating myself...