2018 EDC flashlight

Brigadier

Enlightened
Once upon a time I liked multimode lights more. But when it came to practical application I have noticed that I start to hate designs where the only option to get low when you are on medium mode is to go through high and turbo :) Then I faced not life and death, but moments when you need to produce an appropriate amount of light immediately and, the hell, you don't remember what mode was the last with particularly that flashlight. There comes minor stress and the F-word :)

Then, spoiled with Elzetta Bravo and Surefire Fury, I started to realize that in most cases 2 modes are sufficient. Especially when they are free from ambiguity.

And, you know, in total darkness 10 lm are damn bright. EDCL1-T is declared to be 5 lm at low mode, but it is twice as bright in reality. Surefire style oopsie :)

Finally, it is damn nice looking one :D

Hence why I am EDCing an LX2 Lumamax, even in 2018.

moltenmag

Enlightened
OQxKl
While we are on the topic, what happened to the LX2 Ultra? 15 Lumen low. 500 Lumen high. Anyone have one? I saw some pictures of them at the 20113 Shot show...

Colinlim

Newly Enlightened
Hi Colinlim,
I own both lights in multiple versions(Emisar D1, D1S,D4 in Green, Black & Grey with 18350, 18500 & 18650 and also the D4VN as well as the Convoy S2+ in Black, Green, Red, Blue, Tan & Silver, all in 18650 & 18350. No, I am not trying to brag about my collection... (there are another 300+ lights too). I bring it up to say that I really like both lights. I value the flexibility of having the run time of an 18650, the small size of the 18350 and the compromise of 18500. The flexibility of selecting four modes or seven modes on the Convoy or even using a "drop-in"if I desire a different LED or Driver. On the Emisar, I love the Narsil M programming, the various options and clean simple lines. Between these two lights, the Emisar is the most intuitive to use-the Nichia 3
219 LED gives a high CRI so colors are more true to life. The Convoys also give you options of cool white if Lumen rating is important to you, but neutral white is also a choice. Since you asked specifically about these two lights, I will refrain from commenting on any other lights. If you can tell
us a little more about the circumstances in how you will be using your light and what your needs are perhaps we can be of more assistance. For entry level, economical lights, both have their place as valuable flexible lights with options. I look forward to hearing more about how the lights will be utilized so I can provide further input...

Hi guys,

thanks for your great advise,

I am open for more flashlight option, like rechargeable etc.
The flashlight I opt for is more toward EDC light and easy to carry.

Keitho

Enlightened
I'll add one more voice saying Zebralight, especially since you want easy to carry. The sc64's are as small as you'll get for an 18650 (with a pocket clip that works great), and ZL is as efficient as you'll get at a given tint/power combination.

For me, rechargeable (non-removeable battery) doesn't work for EDC--when I need to recharge, I don't want my light sitting on a charger, I want it back in my pocket where it belongs.

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally I think the D4 is a better value.

But, I also have to vote ZL. The SC63/64 is a bit more then the S2+ or D4 but, it is a much better quality light and is a more practical EDC option imo.

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
While you're contemplating larger lights, go ahead and get a Maglite Solitaire LED for your pocket.

HaileStorm

Enlightened
These are in my edc rotation which I think are really suitable for urban environments.

For stronger output, I use my S1 Baton, EA11 or my trusty SRT3 Defender.

I'm more inclined to edc smaller lights though so if I dont really need more than 100 lumens (which is 98% of the time), I usually go for my single AAA lights.
7b928c1b4690cc0b077f3d27b2ab8288.jpg

EDIT:
I'm looking to buy a Lumintop Tool in AA format as well, imo it'd also be a great choice to throw into the mix.

Colinlim

Newly Enlightened
These are in my edc rotation which I think are really suitable for urban environments.

For stronger output, I use my S1 Baton, EA11 or my trusty SRT3 Defender.

I'm more inclined to edc smaller lights though so if I dont really need more than 100 lumens (which is 98% of the time), I usually go for my single AAA lights.
7b928c1b4690cc0b077f3d27b2ab8288.jpg

EDIT:
I'm looking to buy a Lumintop Tool in AA format as well, imo it'd also be a great choice to throw into the mix.

Wow, there are many light there... O O
The number 4 is that Thrunite flashlight?

I currently own a Lumintop SD4A, but is too bulky..

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast

Isn't that the model that can run at reduced output on a single D cell?

I've been thinking about getting one of those to be a battery omnivore, but haven't convinced myself that I really have a need for one.

--flatline

HaileStorm

Enlightened
Wow, there are many light there... O O
The number 4 is that Thrunite flashlight?

Yes, it's the current Ti3 with the XP-L but in cool white, sadly. I couldn't find a warm/neutral white version.

Initially, I just bought it so I could use tge Ti3's head on the Tool's body but the head of the Ti3 is narrower in diameter and shorter in length compared to the Tool's. The anodizing is also "shinier" than the Tool's flat-black anodizing so it kinda looks off on the Tool's body.

If you don't need the firefly mode of the Ti3, the Tool is a much better choice. Heck, I would prefer the Jet-U over the Ti3 if only it had a firefly mode.

I'm not particularly impressed with Thrunite's build quality judging from the exposed solder points inside the Ti3's head near the positive contact. And the Ti3 is a bit hard to operate single-handed since it's hard to turn the head. I find it too stiff (that's what she said). Knurling is good though. On par with the Tool's knurling. The XP-L led leaves a bit to be desired given the shallow reflector.

Using the Ti3's head on the MT06MD is a different story though. The output is awesome [emoji106]