2018 FENIX TK75 IS RELEASED! USB CHARGING AND 5100 LUMENS!!

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hope there's no real risk or danger in not getting the sequence/comparability correct, because most users are going to assume (rightly so) that Fenix engineered these components with complete backward compatibility.

Strange they didn't though...I guess Murphy has never visited China.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
There seems to be several questions/concerns about the extension tube. This should help clarify several of the questions/comments being made:

1. TK75 2018 ships with a battery carrier that allows you to take the carrier out, leave the batteries inside the carrier, plug the carrier into a USB port, and charge the batteries.
2. If you want to add an extension tube to the TK75 2018, you can use this one: https://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-tk75rk-runtime-kit/
3. The rechargeable battery carrier inside the TK75 2018 is longer than the battery carrier inside the accessory extension tube. Therefore, you won't get the battery carriers confused. The longer carrier looks very different in that it has the USB port on it and it has a battery indicator on it. Just always put the rechargeable battery carrier inside the TK75 2018 flashlight.
4. Right now, there is no plan to sell an extension tube with a rechargeable carrier in it.

Look at the photo below. This is the base TK75 2018 with three extension tubes attached. The flashlight worked flawlessly.

Screen%20Shot%202017-10-19%20at%207.35.37%20PM_zps3jmgwlq2.png

Hope this clarified all your questions. Thanks for your dialogue.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I read through this thread but still need to clarify one more time: Can I put any 18650s in this light and charge them in your carrier, or will it only charge Fenix batteries?

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
You can use any 18650 battery with 3.6 Volts. We have found Ultra Fire batteries normally do not operate effectively with our flashlights.

Of course, you will ALWAYS want to use PROTECTED batteries in your light. Here is a good explanation on why you should make sure your batteries are high-quality, protected batteries. https://www.fenix-store.com/blog/wh...en-protected-and-unprotected-18650-batteries/

Never cut corners on 18650 batteries!
I read through this thread but still need to clarify one more time: Can I put any 18650s in this light and charge them in your carrier, or will it only charge Fenix batteries?

PaladinNO

Enlightened
That is EXCELLENT, Fenix!

Thank you very much for clarifying.

EDIT:
Ultra Fire batteries normally do not operate effectively

No kiddin'? :crackup:

Been ever using 8x Panasonic NCR18650BP's in my TK76. I've never really known why I should, but I've always ran with identical batteries in any multi-battery light. And I already got 4 more on the way to accommodate the new TK75 - and what will be 3 battery carriers. :)

Last edited:

NorthernStar

Enlightened
You can use any 18650 battery with 3.6 Volts. We have found Ultra Fire batteries normally do not operate effectively with our flashlights.

Of course, you will ALWAYS want to use PROTECTED batteries in your light. Here is a good explanation on why you should make sure your batteries are high-quality, protected batteries. https://www.fenix-store.com/blog/wh...en-protected-and-unprotected-18650-batteries/

Fenix:Thanks for clarifying the questions regarding the extension tube and carrier. You say that one can use any 18650 battery with 3.6 Volts. In my TK75 2015 i use protected 3400 mAh 3,7 Volt 18650 batteries. Is there any difference in performance over using 3,6 volt 18650 batteries over 3,7 volt 18650 batteries? :thinking:

Spacemanspliffy

Newly Enlightened

Hello,
2 days ago I received my new TK75 2018 and know that you can only use 18650 batteries with bottum top. So not 18650 flat top battery... This has to do with the small + connection button in the battery holder. It isn't big enough to connect with a flat top battery. This is also what is written on the dutch Fenix website....

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
We checked with the Fenix engineers and found this:
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The TK75 2018 is compatible with the button-top battery only. The flat-top battery is not able to be used in the TK75 2018.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT]
Hello,
2 days ago I received my new TK75 2018 and know that you can only use 18650 batteries with bottum top. So not 18650 flat top battery... This has to do with the small + connection button in the battery holder. It isn't big enough to connect with a flat top battery. This is also what is written on the dutch Fenix website....

NorthernStar

Enlightened
Now i have received my TK75 2018 light.

I have not yet got the time to test it fully.

To the left the new USB rechargeable holder and to the right the battery holder that comes with the extension tube.

Battery indicator at the end of the USB rechargeable holder.

Indeed the extension tube fits and works together with the 2018 version.

Capolini

Banned
^^^

Enjoy it David. Remember you told me what UI meant??!! It was over 4 years ago when I was new!!!

Here are my STATS for my 2015 TK75vn QUAD.

TK75_STATS.jpg

NorthernStar

Enlightened
^^^

Enjoy it David. Remember you told me what UI meant??!! It was over 4 years ago when I was new!!!

Here are my STATS for my 2015 TK75vn QUAD.

TK75_STATS.jpg

I will sure do! :)

Yes,i remember when you where asking,Roberto! Time goes fast and you have learnt a lot since!:thumbsup:

Those STATS for your 2015 TK75vn QUAD looks awesome!

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I'm not sure if this is the place to ask for technical assistance on this particular product, but I got some questions regarding battery specifics.
I use this light with 4x Nitecore NL1835HP 3500 mAh 8 Amp rated, which works fine on their own, no problems.

However, when I introduce the light to a battery extender (AER-TK75), and change the batteries to 8x identical, fully charged Panasonic NCR18650BP 3400 mAh, the integrated battery checker gives me a green light, all okay, but when using the light, well, with strobe, I get about 3 flashes before it shuts down. Or a steady beam until I set it to either of the 2 highest modes, before it also shuts down within 2 seconds.
Tried rotating the carriers, reseating the batteries etc., but same result. The same 8x batteries works just fine in my TK76.

Are the Panasonics not delivering enough Amperes at higher output modes? They are basically brand new - and as far as I can tell authentic - so what could the problem be?
I'd like to know for sure what the issue is, whether it be the batteries or a physical compatibility issue with the extension tubes/carriers, before I take the step and buy another 4x NL1835HP's, as those weren't exactly cheap.

EDIT:
So to actually ask a specific question: How high Continous Discharge rating does this light require from the batteries?

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Thanks for coming here to get the correct answer from the Fenix engineer. We will send it to him and should have an answer in 1-2 days. We will post the answer here when we hear back. Thanks for being a Fenix customer.

I'm not sure if this is the place to ask for technical assistance on this particular product, but I got some questions regarding battery specifics.
I use this light with 4x Nitecore NL1835HP 3500 mAh 8 Amp rated, which works fine on their own, no problems.

However, when I introduce the light to a battery extender (AER-TK75), and change the batteries to 8x identical, fully charged Panasonic NCR18650BP 3400 mAh, the integrated battery checker gives me a green light, all okay.
But when using the light, well, with strobe, I get about 3 flashes before it shuts down. Or a steady beam until I set it to either of the 2 highest modes, before it also shuts down within 2 seconds.
Tried rotating the carriers, reseating the batteries etc., but same result. The same 8x batteries works just fine in my TK76.

Are the Panasonics not delivering enough Amperes at higher output modes? They are basically brand new - and as far as I can tell authentic - so what could the problem be?
I'd like to know for sure what the issue is, whether it be the batteries or a physical compatibility issue with the extension tubes/carriers, before I take the step and buy another 4x NL1835HP's, as those weren't exactly cheap.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Thanks for coming here to get the correct answer from the Fenix engineer. We will send it to him and should have an answer in 1-2 days. We will post the answer here when we hear back. Thanks for being a Fenix customer.

^ And THIS is why I like Fenix so much, and continues to buy Fenix products. :)

Thank you.

I forgot to add: This is the specifications on the Panasonic batteries:
https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1SBeMQFXXXXXTXFXXq6xXFXXXj/221236860/HTB1SBeMQFXXXXXTXFXXq6xXFXXXj.jpg

"Continuous Discharge Current (max): 4,875 A"

I tried finding the Ampere demands for this specific light (I have seen some extreme draw lights come with this number), but have been unable to do so.

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
Great! We will add that to the message to the engineers. We heard back from Fenix last night and the engineers are out of the office til next week--at a show. So we should hear from them around mid-week. Thanks!

Thank you.

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1SBeMQFXXXXXTXFXXq6xXFXXXj/221236860/HTB1SBeMQFXXXXXTXFXXq6xXFXXXj.jpg

I tried finding the Ampere demands for this specific light (I have seen some extreme draw lights come with this number), but have been unable to do so.

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
We heard back from the Fenix and this is the message they sent you:

Yes, I have checked on this with our engineer and we are still not very clear about the problem as the customer mentioned below.

One thing for sure, it is not related to the discharge current of the batteries. Could you please ask the customer take a video or provide more details about the problem to make it clearer?

Thank you.

PaladinNO

Enlightened
Okay, I don't really know what to say.

So here's what I have tried: Fully recharged batteries - 4x Nitecore NL1835HP, and 8x Panasonic NRC18650BP.
Checked in 2 different chargers, just in case. Rearranged the carriers and carrier holders. Reseated the batteries.

This I've tried on 3 separate occasions. And on all three occasions, the light behaved the same. ~3 flashes on strobe before it shut down. At which point the light appeared completely dead.
Had to remove the carriers to get it to work again.

Then normal mode. Works fine until high and turbo mode. Then it shuts down within a couple seconds. At which point, again, the light appears dead. Not even the integrated battery check works.
And the batteries have to be removed again.

All this, 3 times - not in succession, but on different days - and it behaved the same.

I was making a video now, of what I expected to be proof of the issues...and everything works. Same batteries as before. Same carriers. Same everything. And the light works flawlessly, both on strobe and turbo

UPDATE:
...Take a look at this video (MS Onedrive storage - 39,5 MB, .mkv).
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AuFMZD__7mN2iRGOb4EBkQL8z-Mo

I can change the format, if you want. If you got anti-virus security protocols regarding certain file extensions or similar.

But to describe the problem with one word: "tailcap".
And trust me, this isn't just an issue of it being "slightly loose" - when I tighten, I tighten properly. Firmly, but carefully - you can even see that in the video.
If I were to guess...I'd say the TK75 2018 tailcap causes a short or otherwise improper connection somewhere with the older AER-TK75 battery extender kit.

Setup:
Head > TK75 2018 battery tube (with AER-TK75 carrier) -> AER-TK75 battery tube (with AER-TK75 carrier) -> tailcap. Using the 8x Panasonic batteries.

The cap that does make the light work here, both before and after, is the cap from the TK76. And I know that because I recognise the slight smear of Armytek Nyogel on the bottom of it.
It was the TK75 2018 cap that was utilized all previous times when the light didn't want to work. And this error is 100% possible to reproduce under my testing here.

For comparison, both caps work with the TK76 - though the TK75 2018 cap does not feel as tight a fit as the TK76 cap.

EDIT:
Note that this video was made using 2x AER-TK75 battery carriers. But to rule this out, I just tried swapping over to the new 2018 carrier + 1x AER-TK carrier, and the problem was reproducable.
Conclusion: The AER-TK75 battery extender kit and TK75 2018 tailcap does not mix.

So the question then is this: Where can I buy a spare TK76 tailcap? ;)

Is this what you flashlight "beta-testers" feel when you get sent a pre-production sample for review and testing, and provides feedback to the manufacturer, which often turns into the product being changed accordingly? I kinda like this feeling. ^^
Of course, I did pay full (promo sale) price for my light... And a big reason for me choosing the TK75 2018 was the usage of AER-TK75 extension kits without problems (which I specifically asked about in this thread, before buying).

One would think your engineers would know you actually got three different battery carriers: The original AER-TK75 (which I've got), the later AET-TK75, and lastly this TK75-2018 carrier.

Last edited:

fenix store

Flashlight Enthusiast
Vendor
FOR PaladinNO: Message from Fenix

"Here we wonder the reason why the customer was trying to use the different tail caps to different light models, which is not recommended as they are for two models with different structures and sizes.

Moreover, as mentioned, it is not recommended to use the AER-TK75 into the new TK75 tube due to the different structures and sizes of the two battery carriers even though they may be able to turn on and use, which would probably cause a short circuit or any other problems.

Regarding the customer question below, we don't think they were used in the right way to get the proper connection based on the above instructions and recommendations.

By the way, we don't have any more spare TK76 tail caps but the finished products in stock now. Just FYI."

PaladinNO

Enlightened
I get a clear sense of me overstayng my welcome here now...

Well, to keep it simple: I tried the TK76 tailcap by coincidence, having placed both next to each other, and not remembering which belonged where.

Long story short: As I did have problems with the light, I started experimenting to find out what was needed to make the light work with 2 carriers.
As I understood a previous post here, using the TK75 2018 tube and carrier FIRST was essential - and then add more tubes and carriers after.

BUT to make the light work at all with any 2 carriers, I have to use the TK76 tailcap.
However, I did not use the 2018 tube with a AER-TK75 carrier on its own - that caused the carrier to rattle around, and I didn't try the light without a second carrier.

I've know there is some design differences between the AER-TK75 and the current TK75RK extension kits - in your promo picture in this thread, fenix store,
you posted a picture of the TK75 2018 with original carrier + 3 extension kits...can I safely presume those extension kits were the TK75RK?
Do you happen to have some of the older AER-TK75 kits laying around to test with as well?

Because I get a feeling here my issues are simply due to a slight incompatibility between the designs of the older carriers and the new light.
Using the later TK75RK's might solve my problem, but that would be a gamble, as I'd then have to buy one of them to test with - if I could know for sure beforehand, I will jump right on it, and get one of them.

So if you could tell me why my TK75 2018 doesn't work with the original tube and carrier + 1 AER-TK75 kit - or better yet, tell me what I need to do to make it work - I'm all ears.