$21 for a flashlight?!!

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have those I need. Yes, it is rational.
I don't get your point.

I wholeheartedly agree that we are all different, but to a certain degree rationality is objective.

If you want to buy an expensive paperweight for aesthetic purposes be my guest, the money's yours. However, you really should first care about things that might spare you a fall and broken bones, and that might just save your life in some situations. I don't see how people can not understand this, and yet they don't. That is not rational, no matter what spin you put on it.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I have those I need. Yes, it is rational.
I don't get your point.
Denial is the first stage. :naughty: With over 2,000 posts I wouldn't be talking. :poke:

My flashlight insanity is going to CPF every day because I am waiting for the Optimus. I have a U2 that I am perfectly happy with. But I come here...everyday. I am off my rocker.

I agree with most of what you said. My previous sentences are meant in humor. Now go back to bed and then get out of the right side of the bed. :kiss:

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Denial is the first stage. With over 2,000 posts I wouldn't be talking.
Well, I enjoy posting here. I *still* don't get the point. :p

I agree with most of what you said. My previous sentences are meant in humor. Now go back to bed and then get out of the right side of the bed.
I'm feeling slightly better. Hope it stays this way...

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have to agree with you Falling Water. It seems that most are blessed with such stability (economic and political) that the focus seems to have shifted from preparedness and survival to standing out and individual achievement. I guess it's a sign of the times.
Does anyone remember the name of that stupid show about "man pimping" with all the characters with ridiculous names (What, Mysterio, J Dawg, and "The Matador"? lol)and getups. And no, it wasn't pro wrestling.
Anyways any one of those guys would have made an excellent mark in a rougher neighborhood. I guess survival skills are contextual in a way. :shrug:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with this thread. It's kind of irritating to find someone will pay a lot of interest to a light you have, then be completely turned off when you tell them the cost even if it was only a £20 light.

An example of this is my father... he has the insane £150 logitech keyboard, but finds £20 on the expensive side for a flashlight.

As fallingwater told me in another thread the best thing to do is accept that people don't understand and don't care, and swallow it - rather than getting worked up about it.

Sometimes it's hard to hide the irritation though when you see someone who has clearly spent a lot of money on other decent tools but can't begin to fathom why you might also want a decent flashlight.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
If they are smart they'll figure it out by themselves the next time they find themselves in dire need of light but don't have a flashlight. Amazingly, some people do redeem themselves. :p

1dash1

Enlightened
My view is just the opposite. It's not us that spend too much money on specialized flashlights. It's the uninformed public that spends too much money on junk flashlights.

I can't bellieve what people will buy: overpriced lights, ridiculously overpriced batteries, and/or extraordinarly poor quality (junk) lights. They have no idea what they are paying for.

Worse, some will go off into the darkness totally unprepared - without the slightest inkling of what they should be prepared for. :cool:

zipplet

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've encountered old people (60-70 years old) walking around here in total darkness with a VERY dim minimag (so dim it looks barely even as bright as a candle). Surely someone relying on a light in this manner would look for something better?

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best time to tell someone the price of your light is when they are trying to show off one someone gave them. There's a guy from my church that tried to show off a $60 3 watt l.e.d. Pelican light to me. A friend gave it to him and he had no idea how much the CR123A batteries cost. After I informed him of the $10 per set batteries (told him Surefires were $5 at Lowes), I showed him my Huntlight FT-01. I turned it on and showed him that it wasn't just way brighter than his, it also had five brightness settings, strobe, SOS, could take rechargeable li-ion batteries, and was only $45. He said he'd try to get his friend to send him a case of batteries for his light because he couldn't afford them himself. People will see that your lights are a better value when they have something to compare them to.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
$21!!!! How bargain basement. A flashlight for $21 is on par with digging through the big box of failed 1950's sci-fi and western movies near the checkout at Walmart.

carrot

Flashaholic
The best time to tell someone the price of your light is when they are trying to show off one someone gave them. ... People will see that your lights are a better value when they have something to compare them to.

Yeah... not here. Non-enlightened are not impressed when you tell them your flashlight cost $500. I just tell them "a lot" and leave it at that. I always get a good laugh out of guesses. "$30?"

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
It really depends who you are talking to I think. My next door neighbor is a hunter who collects guns/knives and he understands and appreciates my collection of flashlights. He will often ask what I pay for them and when I tell him the price he usually thinks it's a reasonable price for all the features and the impressive brightness compared to what's on the retail shelves.

If I were to mention the price of some of my lights (I have nothing over $100) to my sister in law she would think I'm crazy! In her world anything over $5 is WAY too much for a flashlight. At the same time she only wears high end designer clothing that costs a small fortune, but she says it's worth it, because in her words "everyone dresses like this in the city".

If you go out and tell people that you paid several hundred dollars for a flashlight I think pretty much everyone is going to think you need to have your head examined. I mean, does anyone truly need a $1,000+ flashlight? I guess if you have loads of money just laying around then go for it, but for the most part I don't think that's the case.

Latest posts