21700 has a long way to go to catch up with 18650

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Gulag analytics results. Seems 18mm is 4 times as popular as the 21mm cell, roughly speaking.

Guess I don't understand the thread. Flashlight manufacturers are who are going to push people to the 21700 cell, nothing else. How do you think 18650 got so popular? It's not because the users thought that was a good idea, it's what the flashlight and other makers did to incorporate that sell into their products.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tesla is the major driving force behind it and will hopefully set the new standard, if it hasn't already.

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lithium ion batteries made 18650 popular. I think flashlights, vapes, etc., started using 18650 BECAUSE they were so widespread and available source of highly dense energy. Then the higher power chemistries showed up, and everybody started pulling apart power tool batteries to get that sweet sweet current capacity, lower voltage be damned!

Anyways, I just mean to say that the flashlight hobby is a drop in the bucket compared to all the other uses of 18650s past and present. I mean, I'd never have thought someone'd make a car that runs on 18650, much less THAT car!

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Industry decided that 18650 was a useful physical size some ~20 years ago and so it remains. TSLA's demand for the formfactor peaked when the Model S/X was a high-volume model for them. Their Model 3/Y transitioned to 21700 some time ago and seems to have again transitioned to the new hawtness - 4680.

Laptops have abandoned cylindrical cells for pouch cells. Power tool OEMs seem to be divided between pouch cells and 21700. e-bike OEMs are seemingly preferring 26800. But due to its past and ongoing ubiquitousness I expect 18650 to remain available - even in new chemistries - for years to come.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Industry decided that 18650 was a useful physical size some ~20 years ago and so it remains. TSLA's demand for the formfactor peaked when the Model S/X was a high-volume model for them. Their Model 3/Y transitioned to 21700 some time ago and seems to have again transitioned to the new hawtness - 4680.

Laptops have abandoned cylindrical cells for pouch cells. Power tool OEMs seem to be divided between pouch cells and 21700. e-bike OEMs are seemingly preferring 26800. But due to its past and ongoing ubiquitousness I expect 18650 to remain available - even in new chemistries - for years to come.
Didn't know that about e-bikes. I'm pretty into e-bikes, and every battery I've seen has been 18650 or 21700. Never even heard of 26800

Last edited: