3AA River Rock Lantern CREE from Target

tritan

Newly Enlightened
I see a one watt BD Orbit. I do not see a one watt Apollo. Is it the Orbit that you meant (the far right choice in the "Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought" box?

I was talking about the 3 watt Apollo as far as I know, at this link. I don't have that light, but I'll see if I can get the person who compared them to post here. I did not find any reviews here either, just some mentions. The River Rock Cree XR-E is also rather new as far as I know, Target has not even updated the packaging.

I also did not find the River Rock on the Target web site. IIRC a review or mention of the earliest version said that one was not on the web site. Perhaps an email or call to Target might get some information. I did link what appear to be some alternate equivalents, and there may be others, but they were not as inexpensive as the RR.

Glad you couldn't find it on target sites thought I was going crazy. correction made on the Orbit /Apollo you are correct. :twothumbs Still want a good review before I buy anything. I am going on a camping/biking trip so size is important. I want as bright/light weight light as possible for the money. I have also toyed with the idea of a fenix with a white diffuser on the end. I just get lost on the fenix site trying to figure out what is the brightess led you can get in a 1 or 2 aa model .

Donald

Newly Enlightened
If you go the lantern route the RR will be less expensive, lighter, and brighter than the BD Apollo. The Apollo will provide more even light. There may be other good alternatives. The white diffuser cone, you mentioned for the Fenix might maximize efficiency.

Ultralight hikers love the Photon Microlight type lights because of the negligible weight. Personally, I have one for a backup, but that would not be my principal light. If I was going as lightweight as possible of the lights I have, I would take my Arc 1 xAAA and keep it on my person, and my Princeton EOS headlamp. The Arc I would have for it's utter reliability and to find my larger headlamp, if necessary. It is also handy having two lights for any requisite battery changes or other maintenance issues. I have had an LED fail....actually in my wife's light, so good to have a backup.

If I was willing to carry more for example, shorter hike, canoe trip without too many long portages, group trip, car camping, etc. I would then consider taking the River Rock--and would probably take it. The additional alternative that I took a few times when car camping with short walks, was a SafeLight (PaLight) as I like the glow feature. I do have a diffuser cone for a PaLight, although I suppose it does not truly fit the newer model. I also find that light very useful at night around the house or on trips.

tritan

Newly Enlightened
If you go the lantern route the RR will be less expensive, lighter, and brighter than the BD Apollo. The Apollo will provide more even light. There may be other good alternatives. The white diffuser cone, you mentioned for the Fenix might maximize efficiency.

Ultralight hikers love the Photon Microlight type lights because of the negligible weight. Personally, I have one for a backup, but that would not be my principal light. If I was going as lightweight as possible of the lights I have, I would take my Arc 1 xAAA and keep it on my person, and my Princeton EOS headlamp. The Arc I would have for it's utter reliability and to find my larger headlamp, if necessary. It is also handy having two lights for any requisite battery changes or other maintenance issues. I have had an LED fail....actually in my wife's light, so good to have a backup.

If I was willing to carry more for example, shorter hike, canoe trip without too many long portages, group trip, car camping, etc. I would then consider taking the River Rock--and would probably take it. The additional alternative that I took a few times when car camping with short walks, was a SafeLight (PaLight) as I like the glow feature. I do have a diffuser cone for a PaLight, although I suppose it does not truly fit the newer model. I also find that light very useful at night around the house or on trips.

not to get to far of topic but is the ldo1 by fenix similar to the aaa arch? I do like the idea of the photon for a backup light. There are so many different kinds of single aa and aaa lights are hard to decide. I don't know if I can get a diffuser for the ldo1 or any other small single cell light for that matter. Then I might have go with a bd orbit to get the lantern effect.

Donald

Newly Enlightened
I don't know. I have seen a similar one and if you are quoting that model Fenix, that is probably it. I'm sure others know.

LEDAdd1ct

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does anyone have the most recent pricing information on this unit? The first post said about $23, and later posts mentioned a great sale. I am just wondering where they are in terms of price right now...

EDIT: 5/19/2009 5:46 P.M.

Never mind! :0)

Last edited:

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Does Target still sell these?

Yes. I picked one up a while back and I've seen them on the shelves recently. They are in a clam shell pack near the RR flashlights.

I'm happy with the purchase. The output is great for such a small package and the construction seems good. The switch feels like it will last (hopefully). :)

BTW, like others have mentioned, the packaging on mine said "K2" but it does have the Cree in there.

Last edited:

dexter49

Newly Enlightened
Does Target still sell these?

Although I have seen these recently in two local Target stores, we just had a brand new "Super Target" that opened last week (includes expanded food section), and this new store does not carry these. The flashlight section is much smaller than the other two stores. Actually, I don't recall seeing any River Rock lights there.

Illum

Flashaholic
My local target pretty much eliminated its designated flashlight section and changed it to the bras and panties section... :rant:

dc42

Newly Enlightened
I purchased the K2 version a couple of years ago on clearance at my local Target (NH), and since then, they haven't carried any RiverRock flashlights. So, YMMV.

banana_clip

Newly Enlightened
I just called up 5 Targets in my area and none of them carry the RR Lanterns anymore....they did have an eddie bauer model. Oh well,

banana_clip

Newly Enlightened
Wow, I apologize for the bad info. I've seen them at both of my local Targets recently.:confused: I guess I should pick up another one.

Hey no problem...I did check out another Target today, an older Target and found the River Rock K2 there for $21.95. I got the last 2 they had, thanks for the info. Here are pics.

6jnkuh.jpg

ryball

Newly Enlightened
I could not pass on these @ $10 on clearance. I bought the two Crees they had and left the K2. I'm thinking about going back for the K2 today.

Patriot

Flashaholic
My local target pretty much eliminated its designated flashlight section and changed it to the bras and panties section... :rant:

:faint: Illum, I would kindly but directly protest this by voicing my opinion with the store manager and Target corporate if necessary. 1/3 of the store is clothes already! We can't have on small rack of batteries and lights? Geesh.

Illum

Flashaholic
:faint: Illum, I would kindly but directly protest this by voicing my opinion with the store manager and Target corporate if necessary. 1/3 of the store is clothes already! We can't have on small rack of batteries and lights? Geesh.

they've since moved it again :ohgeez:
now its between bicycles and dog food. its funny to know that before dog food got there it was the same rack they placed the Halloween candy:crackup:

Winford

Newly Enlightened
I grabbed a CREE greeney for $10.00 and was blown away by how nice this lantern was. Went back and got another one just because of the Value/Quality level these things have; really nice light output for that size of package.

MiniMag_Crazy_Greg

Newly Enlightened
I too snagged a $10 green K2 Cree version and already plan on doing a minor mod. Can anyone suggest how I can pour a glow ring in the deep well of the globe, maybe a 1/4" deep? I've messed around with some "glopaint," a latex (?) based craft paint from Michael's crafts store. It's rather thick and has ok glow-time, but I think I need to step up to mixing my own using some glow powder and an adhesive or clear acrylic filler. Thanks for any tips!!