4Sevens announces closure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruno28

Enlightened
Finally my order arrived. Added the mini mk2 ti and mini mk2 turbo to the list of 16340 lights.
The titanium is a bit gritty on the twist. While the aluminium is super smooth. With time will the titanium get smoother?
44a7a38d5bb6111d84106a6d94a0829e.jpg
ce68c883e147712c1e43368364998550.jpg

Last edited:

flashy bazook

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another milestone in flashlight development...4Sevens was an important figure, a dealer turned designer.

He has indeed sold a lot of lights to flashaholics here and more normal people elsewhere. It was something of a phenomenon, which I saw in amazement as he changed from a Fenix dealer to the Quark creator. I always wondered which Chinese factory he was using, since of course he didn't have his own manufacturing facilities.

He really did ride up the wave of new tech in flashlights.

To be fair, he was innovative, and there are important people who value his work and contributions. I just recently saw posts by Vihn in his subforum here in CPF praising 4Seven's contributions.

I can also add the writer of the OneBag blog who praised 4Seven creations and recommended them for travel.

But, personally, I have to say I never got into the 4Seven mania and in fact though a big buyer of flashlights never got a single quark product.

Not a tint issue either. Something about the whole thing seemed very marketing based to me, sort of turning around Chinese products and relabeling them.

This is too unfair, of course, since the design elements were there and many people appreciated them.

Anyway, I feel the need to mark the passing of the quark, which in its own way made a big splash and will probably be remembered for a long time among those who have been around the flashlight revolution.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can remember when these board were full of discussion about 4seven's Quarks and other products. Probably the most discussed brand here, a few years ago. But given the silence about the brand over the past couple of years, I don't think any of us should be surprised by this news.

The only thing that shocks me every day: m*g is still in business!?!

jag-engr

Enlightened
Foursevens (or 4sevens as some of us still remember the company) will be sorely missed.

David Chow played a huge part in creating the the modern LED flashlight market that we know today. The company brought many innovations to the table, or at least to the mainstream - constant-current regulation, neutral-tint LEDs (Zebralight also helped), and production titanium flashlights.

I, for one, wish David the best in his future ventures and hope that the new management can continue David's tradition of excellence.

torchsarecool

Enlightened
Well I received my mini turbo aluminium through the post today. Only taken 9 days to reach England which is good going. What can I say... I absolutely love it! It's my first foursevens, and I'm chuffed to bits. It's taken pride of place on my keys alongside my manker LAD and has retired my e05ss

What a great legacy you've left, I wish you all the very best David and team

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Several here have commented on tints of the four sevens lights. I seem to always be late to the party and find out about things after they are no longer available. It's ironic that 47s would be sitting on the warm tinted lights for so long when I would have gladly purchased many 47s lights had they been available in a warm tinted version. By the time I found out they were once made, it was too late, and they never came back. I wonder if warm or neutral would be more successful being that the general public seems to be becoming more aware of things like CRI. Also I feel that LED technology has gotten far enough that the lumens race could maybe take a backseat.

I wish people didn't think it was so cool to have a 1000 lumens light.

I'd take light quality over light quantity any day.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several here have commented on tints of the four sevens lights. I seem to always be late to the party and find out about things after they are no longer available. It's ironic that 47s would be sitting on the warm tinted lights for so long when I would have gladly purchased many 47s lights had they been available in a warm tinted version. By the time I found out they were once made, it was too late, and they never came back. I wonder if warm or neutral would be more successful being that the general public seems to be becoming more aware of things like CRI.

Yes, but 4sevens never pushed their better tints. They buried them, so few people even knew about them. It's no wonder that 4sevens claimed they didn't sell and that cool white was the only thing worth producing. Also, I think 4sevens marketed to the general public that just wants lumens. Which, IMO, was a dumb idea because their lights were too expensive for the general public and they didn't produce the highest output lights anyway.

They had a great niche starting out. I think they just went in the wrong direction and found out there were no buyers where they went.

BTW, I'm using one of my old Quarks right now, tail-standing to light up the room where I'm typing this. Very nice light, even if it's starting to get a little outdated by now.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Yes, but 4sevens never pushed their better tints. They buried them, so few people even knew about them. It's no wonder that 4sevens claimed they didn't sell and that cool white was the only thing worth producing. Also, I think 4sevens marketed to the general public that just wants lumens. Which, IMO, was a dumb idea because their lights were too expensive for the general public and they didn't produce the highest output lights anyway.

They had a great niche starting out. I think they just went in the wrong direction and found out there were no buyers where they went.

BTW, I'm using one of my old Quarks right now, tail-standing to light up the room where I'm typing this. Very nice light, even if it's starting to get a little outdated by now.

I agree 100% The only time I managed to get 47s lights with LEDs I wanted were illumn exclusive Preon 2s and CPF anniversary Atom A0s that used Nichia 219s. And it was only through CPF that I even found out about the Illumn exclusive Preons. Otherwise that would have been another thing I missed out on. 47s lights always look so nice, I wish I would've been on time to buy their stuff when they used warm tints...

Enlightened
Yes, but 4sevens never pushed their better tints. They buried them, so few people even knew about them. It's no wonder that 4sevens claimed they didn't sell and that cool white was the only thing worth producing. Also, I think 4sevens marketed to the general public that just wants lumens. Which, IMO, was a dumb idea because their lights were too expensive for the general public and they didn't produce the highest output lights anyway. They had a great niche starting out. I think they just went in the wrong direction and found out there were no buyers where they went. BTW, I'm using one of my old Quarks right now, tail-standing to light up the room where I'm typing this. Very nice light, even if it's starting to get a little outdated by now.
If I were to guess I'd probably guess less than 10% of the people who read this forum actually make posts on it. The problems with niche forums like this are loud minorities deluding themselves into thinking they represent the majority. Case in point: Post above says general public becoming aware of CRI? Hah! Good one.

Last edited:

Swordforthelord

Newly Enlightened
If I were to guess I'd probably guess less than 10% of the people who read this forum actually make posts on it. The problems with niche forums like this are loud minorities deluding themselves into thinking they represent the majority. Case in point: Post above says general public becoming aware of CRI? Hah! Good one.
I know this is going OT but I think the general public will become aware of the value of high cri; however it will be through household lighting, not flashlights. Flashlight marketing is about the lumens, but nobody wants 32000 lumens by their bed or over their vanity. In those environments, light quality is going to start counting in a big way.

weez82

Enlightened

Right? The general public knows that LEDs are good. And thats about it.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know this is going OT but I think the general public will become aware of the value of high cri; however it will be through household lighting, not flashlights. Flashlight marketing is about the lumens, but nobody wants 32000 lumens by their bed or over their vanity. In those environments, light quality is going to start counting in a big way.

I think you're right, but it's going to be a very very very slow process. At best, I think the average consumer might eventually understand a little about CCT, and they'll pick warm LEDs for home lighting and maybe even a flashlight (maybe!). But, I doubt they'll ever get to a point where they understand anything about CRI or tint. If it can't be explained in 5 words, it's probably too much for most people.

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it can't be explained in 5 words, it's probably too much for most people.

"Colors look better" or "Colors look more natural".

My wife couldn't give a hoot about the specs of any of my flashlights, but she's perfectly aware of color temperature (I can only get 5000k color temperature bulbs because she hates "the yellow ones" (aka 4000k)). And whether she realizes it or not, she's aware of color rendering since she won't let me install LEDs in her bathroom. Apparently putting on makeup is sensitive to color rendering. Who would have guessed?

--flatline

Status
Not open for further replies.