4Sevens Preon vs. Fenix LD05 >> New 2xAAA Lights <<

MKLight

Enlightened
I like both. I don't own both but here is my opinion.
The preon has a large jump from med to high on 2aaa if 22lm is enough you have to skip up to 160lm

ld20 32 4 100

The preon has too many modes lose one of the beacons at least.

The Preon's beacon modes are far out of the way if you don't want/need them. You would have to go through 2 full cycles to get to the beacon mode. As 4Sevens has put it, they're hidden away. They won't be a bother to you if you don't want to access them...

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
About PWM I regularly notice it on the Preons when moving the look or the light fast. Also it's visible if fast waving the hand when shining on it. And this though 2,4kHz. This has to mean that the 125Hz of LD05 is way to low frequence and would be really annoying!

Regards, Patric

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I never notice PWM on L1/P2. I just found it by sweeping the light fast in front of me.

Sounds like Preon would be about the same.

That said, I'm just not interested enough to try to buy one.

kwkarth

Enlightened
For all PRACTICAL purposes there is no visible PWM flicker with the Preons.
If a 2.5kHz PWM "flicker" is visible to you, see your doctor, and for goodness sake, never buy a DLP projector! Also avoid all fluorescent lighting at any cost.:thumbsup::ohgeez:

kwkarth

Enlightened
I like both. I don't own both but here is my opinion.
The preon has a large jump from med to high on 2aaa if 22lm is enough you have to skip up to 160lm

ld20 32 4 100

The preon has too many modes lose one of the beacons at least.
:ohgeez:

Demon27

Newly Enlightened
So from reading all the info I could find on the Preon I'm assuming the light has no memory. Am I correct on this? I really like the size and lumen rating but if I can't get full brightness on the first press/click then it's not for me.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not sure as to the point of a 2XAAA light. The only reason why I like 1xAAA is smaller size.
Pen pocket light, or for multi tool flashlight combo belt holsters.
That and it totally PWNS all other "pen" lights. I'm not talking by a small margin, the difference is HUGE.

If you don't believe me just check out the third party reviews. Here is a graph by HJK:
BrightnessMax.png

I pulled the graph from his page here:
http://translate.googleusercontent....&twu=1&usg=ALkJrhjZ4J4-jJeN4L-ueeEyxlfUL71rHA

It's smaller than the classic stylus pro and TEN TIMES BRIGHTER :)
(and it's got three output levels and hidden modes, better clip, better finish, etc etc)

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
[The Preon] is smaller than the classic stylus pro and TEN TIMES BRIGHTER :)
(and it's got three output levels and hidden modes, better clip, better finish, etc etc)

The Streamlight Stylus Pro's forward clicky with makes the light super easy to deploy. Wish there were more 2AAA lights available with this type of switch.

Last edited:

Shur

Newly Enlightened
just wondering can the 4Sevens Preon and the Fenix LD05 head interchangeable?

Also interested.
Will an LD01 head fit the LD05?
Will an iTP A3 head fit either of them? (If Fenix stays true to the threads used on the LD01 than this will be a no for the LD05)

HKJ

Flashaholic
Also interested.
Will an LD01 head fit the LD05?
Will an iTP A3 head fit either of them? (If Fenix stays true to the threads used on the LD01 than this will be a no for the LD05)

Lots of questions, here are even more answers answers:

Preon head and A3 head will fit LD01 body, but the LD01 head will not make contact on the Preon or A3 body

A3 head fit on Preon body, but Preon head does not fit on A3 body.

A3 head fits on Maratac body, but Maratac head does not fit on A3 body.

Preon head fits on Maratac body and Maratac head fits on Preon body

Maratac head will not make contact on LD01 body and LD01 head does not fit on Maratac body.

With "does not fit" I mean that the body and the head only screws partial together, then the threads lock up.

Old and new LD01 uses same threads.

The LD05 uses the same thread as LD01, but the other way around, i.e. you can screw LD01 body together with LD05 body:crazy:

Shur

Newly Enlightened
Lots of questions, here are even more answers answers:

Preon head and A3 head will fit LD01 body, but the LD01 head will not make contact on the Preon or A3 body

A3 head fit on Preon body, but Preon head does not fit on A3 body.
<snip>
With "does not fit" I mean that the body and the head only screws partial together, then the threads lock up.
<snip>

That's wonderful, thank you.

When I tried my:
A3 head on LD01 SS body locks up.
A3 on an L0D body threads and functions
LD01 SS & L0D heads threaded but did not make contact on the A3 body.
LD01 SS & L0D heads and bodies are interchangeable.

LD01 SS appears to have deeper threads than the L0D. SS head on L0D body has a little bit of play 1/2 turn from tight, but not on its own body.

Aside from threading all the way on, are they making contact and functioning?

Someone with enough lights could make a killer franken-light compatibility chart.

Last edited:

snubjob

Newly Enlightened
As the LD05 uses an XPE, it could have more throw than the Preon...
It does. I just went to my backyard with them both. I prefer the ld05. much beefier light. Better switch. Should hold up to my everyday abuse alot better.

anthony_mcbo

Newly Enlightened
I chose the Preon kit for these reasons:

1) Based on specs, the Preon 2xAAA clicky configuration, same as the LD05, is shorter.

2) For the same price, the Preon kit lets me configure as I wish, between the 1/2-cell battery tube and clicky/twisty UI.

3) The Preon 2xAAA has a much higher max brightness, albeit at the expense of some runtime.

A pro for the Fenix LD05 would've been the slightly higher medium mode (32 lumens vs. 22 on the Preon II), but then I don't know whether Fenix uses OTF lumens in their specs.

I own both flashlights and I like them both. Here are a few pros and cons.

-The preon 2 is shorter and slimmer than the fenix which is great but the fenix has a much stronger clip (I'm on my third preon clip) and a stronger less noisy clicky switch, the Preon 2 switch is very loud and you can easily actuate in your pocket to later find out you ran your batteries out, this does not happen with the fenix

The preon 2 has many more modes and is a much brighter light which is why is carry it more often than the fenix but the one thing I really prefer much more in the fenix is the throw. They just don't compare, Preon 2 brighter but the LD05 throws much much further.

-And yes Fenix rates their lights with ANSI lumens

Like I said before I own them both and I cannot rate one on top of the other, it's just a matter of preference.