I am seeing no significant advancements with 2xAAA penlights - my favorite EDC format.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
The Streamlight Stylus Pro 2xAAA with the Fenix LD01 (XR-E, /not/ XP-G) head was the very best forward-clicky penlight for most of my time on CPF; I went through a couple and they were among the very top of my EDC lights.

The ~224 lumen (I remain skeptical of that output) two-mode Pelican 1920 has been 'ok' in the years since then, but it has remained at that same output spec since I bought it - back in 2019 !!
Plus, the head really is fatter than it needs to be. :-/

Anything else a little more modern out there ? Forward-clicky is still a must; AAA Eneloops (w/ numerous reloads) are still the fuel of choice.

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
The Streamlight Stylus Pro 2xAAA with the Fenix LD01 (XR-E, /not/ XP-G) head was the very best forward-clicky penlight for most of my time on CPF; I went through a couple and they were among the very top of my EDC lights.

The ~224 lumen (I remain skeptical of that output) two-mode Pelican 1920 has been 'ok' in the years since then, but it has remained at that same output spec since I bought it - back in 2019 !!

Anything else a little more modern out there ? Forward-clicky is still a must; AAA Eneloops (w/ numerous reloads) are still the fuel of choice.

Some have outputs to 500. No idea on switches.

turbodog

Flashaholic
If willing to compromise on battery... more options available.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

nevermind, out of stock everywhere (AceBeam PT10-GT)

Last edited:

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened
If you can find one in a BST thread since the penlights were closed out for around $9 in early 2022, I highly suggest the Wurkkos WK02. Forward clicky, 3 modes without memory, and 4000K combined to form a popular light, which I carry regularly.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use my Streamlight AAA's. I just decide, it is what it is and still use them. I don't see any custom maker modifying them.

Check out the following:

NITECORE MT06MD / 180 lumens max / 4 lumens on low / Nichia 219B emitter / 5000k / 90+ CRI / RG0.
35 hours max runtime on low, using standard Eneloop cells. Mode sequence is L-M-H, always starts on low (4 lumens). RG0 is a medical-grade light designation, designed to eliminate the blue spectrum frequencies and thus deliver a more accurate color picture, and safer pupil inspections. Designed for Medical / EMS / first responder use. Produces a really crisp, clean light.

Lumintop IYP365 / Two versions, one at 4000k, and one at 6500k.
Nichia 219CT emitter (4000k @ 93 CRI) - 125 lumens max / 1.5 lumens on low.
XP-G3 emitter (6500k) - 200 lumens max.
Both versions: L-M-H with mode memory.

Klarus P20 / Medical grade penlight / 5000k / Gorgeous, exceptional tint; RG0 / Nichia 219C emitter / Low - 4 lumens / Max - 230 lumens.
This is a ruggedly built penlight, able to withstand hard use. Mode memory.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened
If willing to compromise on battery... more options available.

Like a million options that we all could say. But they specifically asked for 2 x AAA. Why do persons always change threads form the original request? I know you are and experienced poster, and I am a rookie., but I can read.

JoeJoe

Newly Enlightened

Apparently not. The experienced just recommend what they have and then go into other battery options which is not what you asked. The answer is NO, so you are correct.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
It seems as though dual fuel has caught on in the aaa size, but the overall scheme of things has gone flat over the last few years. Perhaps due to the size of the fuel cell. Nobody would buy a penlight that can put of 900 lumens for 1.2 minutes but 60 on low for 6 hours?.....

But who am I to ask? I still like the Husky 2aaa clicky that puts out 125 blumens on new batteries, then fades from there.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Like a million options that we all could say. But they specifically asked for 2 x AAA. Why do persons always change threads form the original request? I know you are and experienced poster, and I am a rookie., but I can read.

I did post several 2aaa models. The other one was the same form factor, which appeared to be the overriding design criteria (pocketable). Given that this 2aaa "size" is an uncommon size, it's pretty hard to find lights to fit the bill. The non-negotiable item, the switch, is harder to determine as it's not listed in details for any of the lights that I saw.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sort of wonder what "significant advances" are expected, other than perhaps better LEDs and/or longer runtime. I used a $5 2xAAA LED penlight for over 4 years almost every day at a recent job, simple but got the job done. On/off, lightweight (1.5 oz.) and slim/compact works for me. Rugged and water resistant/proof are always good. No forward clicky on this one though.

Dave

1695221823990.jpeg

Last edited:

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The lumintop pk27 has been the only 2aaa light to impress me this year. With the osram emitter and decent size reflector, it's 300 lumens that throws 270 meters. I'd like to see more companies try and make some aaa throwers