4xAA Flashlight

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, that sounds neat. Where do you get them and how do you charge them?

They sound like they could be great for 2AA use as well - add some zing to one of the two cell lights set to take the higher current of a CR123 as well.

zapper

Enlightened
Streamlight 4AA Luxeon is a great light for hours of regulation and throw. Too much hotspot for close up work though. Now, if you find the mod thread I or someone else posted, you can install an SSC-P4 U bin for a great increase in total output and still retains throw.

I would also recommend the Solarforce 2AA with .8v-4v low voltage drop in. Multiple levels with tons of total output, throw and great regulation and runtime. I got over 90 minutes on high without much heat or noticeable output drop.

Neither is 300 Lumens but the first has 4xAA as requested and the second approaches the output at least at first with easily over 200 Lumens. My Kingpower also is 2xAA and is close to 200 Lumens with multiple levels and good runtime but not the diameter you're looking for.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PowerGenix NiZn AA cells

Paul, that sounds neat. Where do you get them and how do you charge them?
I get them on Amazon; they're also sold on eBay. You must use one of PowerGenix's two chargers: the so-called "quick charger," aka "1-hour charger," or the "fast charger," which takes 3 to 5 hours. Get the 1-hour charger; its charging profile is smarter and it lets you charge 1,2, 3, or 4 cells at a time. Happily, you can find it for only $10 when bought with 8 AA cells or $15 when bought by itself.

The reason you can't use conventional chargers is that conventional chargers use pulse charging; NiZn cells won't take a pulse charge.

They sound like they could be great for 2AA use as well - add some zing to one of the two cell lights set to take the higher current of a CR123 as well.
Yep. It's brightened my 2xAA P20A2. And the extra voltage makes a Malkoff M30 with 2AAs more usable. But being greedy, I prefer the M30 with 3 NiZns. With 4.8V, the M30 is darn-near bright enough that I no longer covet a Malkoff MC-E.

LiteShow

Newly Enlightened
CarlR:

My brother-in-law gave me a light some time ago. It is a Pelican 2410 http://www.pelican.ca/lights_detail.php?recordID=2410PL

Uses 4AA without battery holder
Not sure what type of emitter - specs says it a 1 watt?
Recoil position emitter - which IMO is the best means to capture all the light from an led
Very smooth beam - beats all my other LED lights!
Only Rated at 84 lumens (OTF - which is quite accurate as compared with my other lights) - might be too low for you

I rarely use the light - but when I do, find it to be a decent work light. Throw is average, but I must say it's got a nice beam with the backward position of the LED (they call it recoil led).

The only thing that concerns me is the heat dissipation of the LED. The LED is isolated - the body is resin (not conductive metal) and from where it's located, it doesn't look well heatsinked. I've used it for burst of maybe 15 - 30 minutes continuous, and so far don't seem to have any ill effects yet.

I'm do not feel totally comfortable recommending this light as I myself have not fully tested it out (and the heat dissipation design) as it is rarely used. Just posting the info to add to your list of 4AAs out there.

Mockingbird

Newly Enlightened
Here's another one. Underwater Kinetics UK 4AA eLED CPO - 120 lumens. Kinda pricey though. BrightGuy has them now.

peterkin101

Newly Enlightened
I own a LED Lenser P14, a bit bulky for a pocket but an exceptional torch.

A brilliant 200 lumen beam, robust construction and ease of use enables it to be an exceptionally cost-effective solution for most requirements.

It doesn't quite have the quality durability of my MagCharger but it is usually cheaper, and in all honesty represents an excellent choice.

LED Lenser is the only brand I've come across so far who may tempt me away from Maglite

Light Sabre

Enlightened
I have a Princeton Tec Tec 40 which is 4AA. Tec 40 | Princeton Tec Put a Terralux TLE1F drop in it. Given decent light output for 9 hours. It is 6" long, flat (1 3/8") with 2 rows of 2 AA's. It was originally an incan. I have both the high power and low power incan bulbs, but prefer the TLE-1F LED in it.

The new version (I think) is a series called AMP. Their AMP 4.0, AMP 4 | Princeton Tec and 5.0 Amp 5 | Princeton Tec are both LED and 4 AA's. They can be found at REI.

Illumination

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: PowerGenix NiZn AA cells

I get them on Amazon; they're also sold on eBay. You must use one of PowerGenix's two chargers: the so-called "quick charger," aka "1-hour charger," or the "fast charger," which takes 3 to 5 hours. Get the 1-hour charger; its charging profile is smarter and it lets you charge 1,2, 3, or 4 cells at a time. Happily, you can find it for only $10 when bought with 8 AA cells or $15 when bought by itself.

The reason you can't use conventional chargers is that conventional chargers use pulse charging; NiZn cells won't take a pulse charge.

Yep. It's brightened my 2xAA P20A2. And the extra voltage makes a Malkoff M30 with 2AAs more usable. But being greedy, I prefer the M30 with 3 NiZns. With 4.8V, the M30 is darn-near bright enough that I no longer covet a Malkoff MC-E.

very cool, thanks. i will check this out. the 3 AA M30 sounds fantastic.

CarlR

Newly Enlightened
Thanks everyone for the good advice.

I'm thinking that maybe I'm being unreasonable by insisting on "AA" lights - it's clearly pointed out by many that an 18650 light might be the better plan. After all I somehow manage to keep my phone charged everyday.

My only concern is, what if this is a light I leave in the car on a permanent basis and only use once or twice a week to check something out - that's where currently my 2C incandescent mag-lite lives...

Will 18650s hold their charge?

Thanks all,
Carl

tc67

Newly Enlightened
Re: 4xAA Flashlight- some comments on Led Lenser P14

Recently looked at the LED Lenser P14. Some thoughts on it:

-nice in the hand. Not a small torch, but not unwieldy, would fit in a big coat pocket. Just a good handful and a bit
-200 lumen on high, with low power option (not sure of lumen on low, by my guess is 50-70ish). Turbo too, but I did not see that much extra from it compared to high
-variable from a pretty tight spot to a broad flood, can be quite ringy mid-focus but not bad at each end on the range
-not bad throw, pretty tight without excessive spill. fine out to 100-200 metres for looking at fencelines, paddock work etc
-good, broad flood with a low power option for close work
-the low power setting is a little dim perhaps (the P17 seemed a bit brighter on low, but is a lot more to carry)
-when moving from spot to flood, the beam centre gets a black centre (only shows at distance and not a problem for closer work, say in the 0-50 metre range, where the flood beam can be focused to look fairly clean)
-the light comes with a relatively solid pouch with belt loop
-good, simple tailcap switch but I found the clicky on the P17 (a la Maglite type) better, and the P14 maybe is a little long and heavy for a one-handed tactical switch on the tail cap
-others on this forum knock LL for (I think) being limited to alkaline batteries and also for no regulation of current draw
-pretty good battery life (rated 150 hours, I guess that is on low).

I own a LLenser "Hocus Focus" which is a 3AAA light, a good everyday light and pocketable, but not a match to the P14 for light.
For a "sit in the vehicle boot (I mean the "trunk".... I am a Aussie) in case" light, the P14 and P17 (3xD cells) are both worth consideration, but maybe not for a lot of heavy-handed rough use. The P17, despite being rated at ten less lumen that the P14, threw better and more light, I guess due to its larger diameter lens head.

No doubt not as technically advanced as some lights, but worth a look IMHO.

TC

carl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 4xAA Flashlight vs. NiZn AA

As an owner of four 3xAA long lights (3 FiveMegas, 1 Dereelights), I asked FiveMega whether he could make a batch of 4xAA bodies. He replied that the advent of nickel-zinc (NiZn) cells had made that unnecessary. Taking his point, I've converted from NiMH to NiZn. At 1.6 to 1.7V per cell (under high loads), I get 4-cell output in a 3-cell length.

But why does it always have to be 3 cells in-line: a long bean pole of the light? Can't we have it 3 cells side-by-side?

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
3xAA long vs. 3xAA side-by-side

But why does it always have to be 3 cells in-line: a long bean pole of the light? Can't we have it 3 cells side-by-side?
Some of us prefer long because we want the most AA energy that can slip into a trouser or jacket pocket without bulging. There's a place for short, stout 3xAAs, too. FiveMega makes 1D-to-3AA adapters for MAG. Other than that, 3xAA shorties are few indeed. I think someone has mentioned the LEDLenser, and I think there may be an Asian-made model or two on DealExtreme. But none of the 3xAA shorties can accept a D26 head.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my UK 4AA eled CPO in last night.

First impressions - this light is nicely built, and is about as small as a 4AA light can be. First up - no battery carrier! I like that. The batts slide in, one at a time, through the bezel end and line up properly as you drop them in - neatly done. Why can't other manufacturers do this?

Output - ok, did UK pull a fast one here? The runtime graph on the back of the package shows the light starting at the rated 120 lumens, and then declining immediately to between 70-80 lumens (77, as previous lights were rated?). The graph shows regulated on alks output at this level for over 3 hours.

Well, ok, what's the deal here? So I fired it up on nimh cells that have been resting a couple of months, and the current draw was over 900ma! So, I think on nimh or lithium cells, this light will have elevated performance vs. alks. Runtime on nimh would be around the 2 hrs mark, vs the 3+ of flat output on alks.

The overall output on nimh was quite decent, actually. UK is in fact using a Cree XRE, btw, with an optic instead of a reflector. The result is a very nice beam, with 90% of the lumens dedicated into it. You do get some spill, enough to see surroundings, as well. This would make this a good choice for murky water or fog, I would think. The hotspot gets wider quickly, so around the house use is possible.

Overall, I think UK did a decent job here. The led is on a metal pill that fits into a metal ring and connections into the body of the light for more heatsinking. After running the light for awhile, heat inside was acceptable (I removed the pill by hand to see the temp). I just think that 120 lumens on alks is misleading (it implies 120 is the regulated level to me) - shame on them for that. But, oddly enough, they put a runtime graph right on the package owning up to it!

Mr_Light

Enlightened

vtunderground

Enlightened
Got my UK 4AA eled CPO in last night.

First impressions - this light is nicely built, and is about as small as a 4AA light can be. First up - no battery carrier! I like that. The batts slide in, one at a time, through the bezel end and line up properly as you drop them in - neatly done. Why can't other manufacturers do this?

Output - ok, did UK pull a fast one here? The runtime graph on the back of the package shows the light starting at the rated 120 lumens, and then declining immediately to between 70-80 lumens (77, as previous lights were rated?). The graph shows regulated on alks output at this level for over 3 hours.

Well, ok, what's the deal here? So I fired it up on nimh cells that have been resting a couple of months, and the current draw was over 900ma! So, I think on nimh or lithium cells, this light will have elevated performance vs. alks. Runtime on nimh would be around the 2 hrs mark, vs the 3+ of flat output on alks.

The overall output on nimh was quite decent, actually. UK is in fact using a Cree XRE, btw, with an optic instead of a reflector. The result is a very nice beam, with 90% of the lumens dedicated into it. You do get some spill, enough to see surroundings, as well. This would make this a good choice for murky water or fog, I would think. The hotspot gets wider quickly, so around the house use is possible.

Overall, I think UK did a decent job here. The led is on a metal pill that fits into a metal ring and connections into the body of the light for more heatsinking. After running the light for awhile, heat inside was acceptable (I removed the pill by hand to see the temp). I just think that 120 lumens on alks is misleading (it implies 120 is the regulated level to me) - shame on them for that. But, oddly enough, they put a runtime graph right on the package owning up to it!

Thanks for the review. I have always been a fan of the UK 4AA design - I still have a few of their original 4AA eLED lights floating around. I'm thinking about picking up a CPO to use as a "spot" light while caving.

moviles

Enlightened
Just bought one of these from Kai for $32.43. Nice build quality, compact, incredible throw (with usable sidespill), Hi-Med-Low (no strobe!!!), tail stands, quite heavy.

http://kaidomain.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductId=10565#

I have this flashlight too, good buid quality
5vx6e1.jpg

good dropin:
ny5kr9.jpg

1zdwu51.jpg

26500 fit and 26650 can fit but not perfectly, 32650 dont fit:
29eoei9.jpg

here video comparation size:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ICdx1b1Jds&feature=player_embedded#at=15

here more pictures:
http://www.google.com/translate?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.forolinternas.com%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ff%3D5%26t%3D494&langpair=es|en-CN&hl=en&ie=UTF8

edit: the tread are for find 4xaa flahlights, the c88 are 3xaa

Last edited: