5mm LED fade testing continued

doctaq

Newly Enlightened
john, would you be interested in testing some cheapo chinese 3w leds?i am getting an order in of reds and warm whites, probably take a month to get here

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
john, would you be interested in testing some cheapo chinese 3w leds?i am getting an order in of reds and warm whites, probably take a month to get here

Hi,
Yes I can test them. I wonder how these Chinese power LEDs stack up. The smaller ones sure don't. :shakehead

doctaq

Newly Enlightened
ive been using an older batch for about a month now, although driving to about 300ma, i guess they beat 5mm so far

doctaq

Newly Enlightened
leds are in, send me a pm as to what to do now, including shipping and packing, i dont have any padded envelopes on hand

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: 5mm LED fade testing wrap-up

Here are the final results of some LEDs I've been "fade testing" for a couple years:

Radio Shack 276-0017 (sometimes shown as 276-017). After TWO YEARS of continuous testing at 30ma, the LED has not faded below initial brightness. Amazing for a 5mm LED. I am 99% sure these are made by Everlight 334 series 5mm LEDs. I also found that the LED contains an ESD zener diode protector.

Osram surface mount LED. It has been under test for about 23 months. It has dropped to 80% of initial output. Considering it has been driven at 39ma with little heatsinking, it too is a quality product. The graphs have been updated in the OP.

Cree CLM3C series: These are low power "grain of rice" sized surface mount LEDs with excellent brightness (twice the intensity of the Osram LED above at the same current). I started testing it in July and 3.5 months later it is still above initial brightness. There are no graphs for this one.

I have decided to end the testing on these LEDs. Who knows how long the RS and Osram LEDs will continue before dropping below 70% of initial intensity.

I have tested some ebay LEDs and other cheapo white 5mm LEDs to see if they are improving any since my initial fade tests of three or 4 years ago. The answer is NO! They still have overblown specs and some faded below 70% of initial brightness in less than 1 week. junk remains to be junk. :shakehead

Thanks for following my fade tests on low power LEDs!:thumbsup:

Last edited:

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Thanks for the updates. I was wondered just the other day how the Osram LED is fairing. Those are pretty amazing results. That explains why the nightlights I modded with 25 of those LEDs each nearly 21 months ago are still going strong ( and they're on most of the time because we often forget to turn them off). Based on your data, it certainly looks like 100,000+ hours to 70% when driven at 20 mA is possible.