6C Maglite

landcruiser80

Newly Enlightened
Hi just received delivery of my 6c maglite, I must admit I understand what people mean when they talk about ideal size for the hand.

Anyway

I have a 4d with malkoff and a small ledlenser, now I need something with some reach hence the 6C ( pre 91).

I have had some ideas about a MR16 mod using 4 x IMR 26500's.

What do other poeple suggest. I would like a real thrower and would like about 1 hour run time.

I have seen the
Destructive Incan Bulb Tests by Luxluthor, I was wondering what people thoughts are on the ideal setup

Cant find all that info on CPF about run time/ lumens on the MR16.

Any advice would be appreciated. As this is my first mod, I want to keep it simple and do not want to make mods to the torch that i can not reverse, but at the same time I need to start somewhere.

Cheers

P.S Sorry about the bold, cant get rid of it

Last edited:

Al Combs

Enlightened
Which particular 50 watt MR16 did you have in mind? You have to figure ≤ 5 amps from an IMR26650 will give at least 4.0 volts under load when fully charged. So the 4 cells will give about 16 volts under load. This example isn't set in stone, so take it with a grain of salt. In general the 2000 hour bulbs are can tolerate more voltage while the 50 hour bulbs put out more lumens closer to their stock voltage rating. Since you've found Lux's Destructive Incan test (excellent resource BTW), look at the Osram 64610. That's not an MR16 bulb with a 50mm reflector, but it's still a 50 watt bulb like you're thinking of using. At the stock 12 volt setting the 64610 puts out 1600 lumens and lasts 50 hours. Important here is it flashes at 14.5 volts. Your 4*IMR's would instantly flash this thing without a good regulator. Now look at the Hikari JC-5043 50 watt bulb. It only puts out 950 lumens at 12 volts but lasts 2000 hours. It doesn't flash until 22.1 volts. So it would be OK with 4*IMR's. Also at 16 volts it draws 5 amps. That should help answer the battery life question from your other thread. There's no way to know for sure until you try it but a 2000 hour 50 watt MR16 should be OK.

[EDIT]
Just did a quick search and an MR16 with the ANSI code "EXT" seems promising for a flashlight. The Osram EXT is 12 volts, 50 watts, 10° spot, 4000 hour and has an axial filament. So it should give a fairly symmetrical beam pattern.

Last edited:

landcruiser80

Newly Enlightened
Can anyone confirm what size and how many IMR batteries you can fit into a pre 91 6 C maglite?

Al Combs

Enlightened
AFAIK, the Mag-C's are similar to the Mag-D's. That is to say battery length plus 30 mm, approximately. So a 6C is ≈ 330 mm from battery contact to the flat surface inside the back of the tailcap, not counting the spring. The length would probably allow for a 5th battery. But I don't know about the ID of the old style battery cap. And then of course you would need a tailcap spring mod. If it was a newer Mag-C, with a C in the serial number, you could use one of these. I doubt if they fit the old style Mag's though. You could always pm fivemega and ask.

If you are talking about the other direction then you need a spacer since 4*26650's are collectively 40 mm shorter than 6 standard Alkalines. A pair of 1" washers, three nuts and a screw is all you need to make an adjustable spacer. It also prevents the Mag tailcap spring from digging a hole in the back of your batteries.
L1010699_Crop.jpg

rickmar1690

Newly Enlightened
AFAIK, the Mag-C's are similar to the Mag-D's. That is to say battery length plus 30 mm, approximately. So a 6C is ≈ 330 mm from battery contact to the flat surface inside the back of the tailcap, not counting the spring. The length would probably allow for a 5th battery. But I don't know about the ID of the old style battery cap. And then of course you would need a tailcap spring mod. If it was a newer Mag-C, with a C in the serial number, you could use one of these. I doubt if they fit the old style Mag's though. You could always pm fivemega and ask.

If you are talking about the other direction then you need a spacer since 4*26650's are collectively 40 mm shorter than 6 standard Alkalines. A pair of 1" washers, three nuts and a screw is all you need to make an adjustable spacer. It also prevents the Mag tailcap spring from digging a hole in the back of your batteries.
L1010699_Crop.jpg

Latest posts