7D Cell Maglite???

Trashman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did not get a 7 C maglite - the largest one I have is 4 D - my collection consists of the mini-mags - 2 AAA, 2 AA and solitaire.

Woops, there's another Will. By Will, I was meaning Willrx. I remember, not to long ago, he posted a picture in some thread of a bunch of his longer Maglites all lined up horizontally and vertically, and I think there were some 7Ds in there. (as well as 7C's---two brand spankin' new ones, in the packages.)

willrx

Enlightened
I'm a little late arriving-as usual. If you scroll toward the bottom of the page in Flashlight Collecting and change the display options to search for everything this year you'll find some nice pics posted in May '07.:)

RICHARD ASHLEY

Newly Enlightened
With regards the Maglite 7C.
As best as I can recall, Maglite Brand, by an American John Maglita, his company in my view, started the long torch revolution.
Theirs, was a torch that was robust, well thought out, and engineered.
Maglite 7C Torches, can be easily turned to a Flood, by simply twisting the front bezel.
Maglites, used a Lexan clear plastic lens, I found that in time though, the Plastic (initially Blue Reflector) then chromed over the plastic, had a tendancy to discolour, fade.

That usually is telling, as to where a torch is stored, and for how long.
I purchased nine (9) of these, in what I believe was in the 1990's.

Like the Maglite 6C, the 7C is slightly longer.
I understand that getting the 7C Globes may be a problem.
As I remember, there was a Globe named Krypton Star, where it's Blister Packed package, can with three or so, alluminium washers, so that one may adjust where the filament situated, and for "spill."

The Krypton Star Globes, had at it's (the Globe) end, a magnified, or thickish, glass end, that appeared to "Throw" the beam further, than the standard 2 Globes (that were supplied in the Maglite Torches.

One Globe came as fitted, and the other in the Tail Cap, in a foam protector, that was made to fit nicely, in the Tail Cap, just under the removeable Tail Cap spring.
As I recall, I paid approx $80 AU (Australian $$$'s) for mine.
I still have several, and are unused.

The "D" Size Maglites, Streamlights, are just a bit too big, in the hand, whereas, the C Cell Torches, are much easier to hold, and, these can be used as a Self Defense, defensive weapon.

The best was to hold these Torches is in the strong hand, high, about your shoulder height, with your forefinger on the beam Activation Button, and using it tactically, by just pressing button down, until "ON."

Use the shadow of darkness in your favour, being careful not to lose your night vision.

An excellent and practical design is the Maglite, so much so, that they, Maglite, have introduced, an LED (Light Emitting Diode) Replacement Globe.
I doubt though, that they will be anything near the brightness of the newer LED disign Technology by CREE.
CREE, are looking to be among the brightest.
But nowhere near as bright as the HID (High Intensity Discharge) that are available from Bright Star.
Hope this snippit, furthers your interest with Maglites and more.
RA.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
His name is Anthony Maglica, born in New York of Crotatian parents and grew up in their country.

Mag-Lite was actually the last company to enter the "long torch revolution" as you put it, and they were over a decade late to the party. The reason they survived and the half dozen or so other companies didn't was due to a market shift in the '80s.

Police departments were switching to high-power rechargables at the time. Other companies hadn't updated their C/D cell lights in a long time, and as Mag-Lite was a later design theirs was mostly superior. The big company advantage was that Maglica had better mass production methods. So, not only were the lights better they were also cheaper. For the police market they produced the Macharger. On top of that, Mag-Lite marketed heavily to civilians and eventually came out with the AA Mini-Mag which really took off.

The other companies with their older lights that were expensive and mostly sold through cop shops didn't do too well. Everyone but Mag and Streamlight sort of petered out by the mid '80s. Streamlight grew by leaps and bounds since they were the ones who popularized the rechargables.

Hey Will, looking for new stock? You've certainly has success selling those things.

Last edited:

willrx

Enlightened
ABTOMAT,
Always a pleasure to hear from you. Once again, thank you for the history lesson.:twothumbs Yes, always looking for new stock (NOS really). Sending PM.
Thanks again,
Will

sumfun

Newly Enlightened
Hello. im brian. i have had a 7 Dcell maglite for 34 years. i got it when i was 5 years old and im 39 now. a police officer left it on my porch. ive had it for a long time. does anyone know where i can get light bulbs for it? thank you.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow cool... you should take some pictures of it! I bet the maglite was about as tall as you were, when you were 5yrs old. LOL

And yes, a 6 cell bulb would work great. It would be a slight overdrive and thats good because bulbs are more efficient when overdriven. :)

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello. im brian. i have had a 7 Dcell maglite for 34 years. i got it when i was 5 years old and im 39 now. a police officer left it on my porch. ive had it for a long time. does anyone know where i can get light bulbs for it? thank you.

Hi Brian, are you sure it's a "Maglite"? and not a Kel-Lite or something similar? I thought (and someone please correct me if I'm wrong) that Maglite didn't start producing flashlights till 1979.

balou

Enlightened
The link to the pic above doesn't work anymore as few of you already figured out a couple of years ago - but luckily the web archive still has it.
(hotlink is on my own webspace)

7cmag.jpg

http://web.archive.org/web/20031025175006/users.erols.com/holtz58/7ccelmag.jpg

edit: remembered the 800 pix rule... cropped&resized it, and also brightened it up a bit in the process

Last edited:

farmall

Enlightened

Raoul_Duke

Enlightened

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a standard C-cell Kel-Lite. The tailcap is called the "Judo Head" and is styled after the yawara stick the company also made.

Mag-Lite started making flashlights around 1979. The first year or two are different from the later ones we're familiar with, but it's just minor details in the switch. I have a 7D Mag-Lite from the mid '80s. Other than being 2.5" longer than a 6D there's no difference.

Edit: I think it's time my infamous leather sofa make its reappearance. Here's a collection of extra-long police flashlights, with an early Surefire E1 for scale. From the top:

5/12C Kel-Lite BTL-26
5/10C Kel-Lite BTL-22
7C Streamlight with built-in hippy adjuster
7C Kel-Lite with Judo Head
7D Mag-Lite
7D B-Lite
7D Kel-Lite
7D Tru-Grit

longlights.jpg

Last edited: