7D Maglite in a smaller package

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish more bulbs had the voltage and wattage listed so I could find out how many amps they draw.

Here are only some 6V ~ 7.2V bulbs to power up with pair of 26650
Osram 64275 - 35W
Philips 5761 - 6V, 30W (or other brand)
ROP 3854H - 6V, 24W
ROP 3853H - 7.2V, 24W
WA1111 - 6V, 20W (or other brand)
WA1274 - 7.2V, 20W
Generic 6V, 15W
Carley 1499 7.2V, 14W
ROP- 3854L - 6V, 11W
ROP- 3853L -7.2V, 11W
Osram 64265 - 6V, 10W (or other brand)
6V, 5W or lower (many different brands)

fivemega

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't been able to find wattage ratings on the PR base bulbs. I have seen them on all the bi-pin bulbs though.
Most PR based bulbs which are designed to run off of "C" or "D" alkaline cells, have current draw of 0.7~ 0.9Amp.
This is maximum current can delivered by mentioned cells with acceptable capacity and runtime. So many high powered flashlight are designed to work with rechargeable cells. (M*gChager NiCad) (Surefire 10X NiCad) and ...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Here are only some 6V ~ 7.2V bulbs to power up with pair of 26650
Osram 64275 - 35W
Philips 5761 - 6V, 30W (or other brand)
ROP 3854H - 6V, 24W
ROP 3853H - 7.2V, 24W
WA1111 - 6V, 20W (or other brand)
WA1274 - 7.2V, 20W
Generic 6V, 15W
Carley 1499 7.2V, 14W
ROP- 3854L - 6V, 11W
ROP- 3853L -7.2V, 11W
Osram 64265 - 6V, 10W (or other brand)
6V, 5W or lower (many different brands)

How many of these are still readily available.

Gettin' me all whipped into a frenzy here only to find out "good luck finding that one" lol

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bumping a cool thread on a chilly fall-like early morning.

My favorite mini-giant flashlight is a Kel-Lite 2C mentioned in post #5. Using Duracell solar lamp 18500's and an ultraclear glass lens by flashlight lens dot com meant for a Mag ML25. The bulb I settled on was a 4 cell pr base xenon bulb by Maglite. It's super duper throwey for such a small flashlight.

41-D37340-1-EAD-4-E53-8627-BF9-EFDBD3443.jpg

Next door is a boat at about 75 feet.

C70-F619-B-E356-45-DB-8-FBE-B2-FBDF0-B092-A.jpg

The shed is about 500 feet away.
Not bad for a 2c flashlight from 1972.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A 2C Maglite bi-pin using stock parts and a pair of LifePo4 18500 batteries.
512-B69-DF-B46-E-4345-9-A6-B-774-B9-A79-E5-B1.jpg

I used a green bezel ring for quick ID which light it is.

B1-E616-E1-F613-40-A2-B6-D4-125-C1-D439-F22.jpg

Using the 75mm ID PVC schedule 80 pipe for gap filler.

EBF88789-9066-4-DCF-A3-A1-25-F26-FCC52-A4.jpg

No flashlight

A658-B175-A9-E1-460-F-9501-FAF15-A213-EB0.jpg

The 2C using a 5 cell bulb.
A dark brown swing set is about 350 feet away in the middle of the photo.
Not too shabby for a 2C incan flashlight using 100% stock parts.

1-EC64-BE8-DC8-A-4233-BEA4-23-DF620-E9-D52.jpg

See the Maglite reflector was made to withstand heat from a 7 cell light bulb so the 5 cell is no issue. And with it being a bi-pin bulb means a nice gap between the bulb and the plastic reflector.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks good Byk, those old Mags can reach out a good bit. I used to have something similar back in the day - a 2C Mag running on 3 CR123's and a 6 cell bulb.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Mr. Tony ought to use these combinations (if y'all don't mind) and come out with a line of flashlights for the incandescent flashaholic since practically everyone else has gone led-even surefire. Most people will use their phones or go pay a buck or two, but we're the ones that will go $10+. If maglite is going to survive they need to cater to their buying base--us.

Edit: Hope that wasn't off topic any. I just had an ideal and wrote it down. I figure we'd all feel good about companies that will meet our needs/wants and since maglite inc. is aware of candlepowerforums they just might read this as part of their research into who is buying their product and what they want.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe Mr. Tony ought to use these combinations (if y'all don't mind) and come out with a line of flashlights for the incandescent flashaholic since practically everyone else has gone led-even surefire. Most people will use their phones or go pay a buck or two, but we're the ones that will go $10+. If maglite is going to survive they need to cater to their buying base--us.

Edit: Hope that wasn't off topic any. I just had an ideal and wrote it down. I figure we'd all feel good about companies that will meet our needs/wants and since maglite inc. is aware of candlepowerforums they just might read this as part of their research into who is buying their product and what they want.

It's easy enough to make your own, all you need is an incan Mag, the right bulb, cells and a spacer or adapter. I think I read somewhere that Mag stopped making the xenon C cell lights a year or two ago, but you can still find them pretty easy except for maybe the xenon ML25's.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree xxo and most of us can mod them. It's also fun to mod stuff--especially old vehicles, but wouldn't it be a trip if Mr. Tony would humor us by making a retro series maglite GT? We might be seeing more future incandescents since our president haulted the incan ban earlier this year. I heard though that the makers of LED lights are fighting him on this and that LEDS are subsidized by the government to make them more affordable.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's a shame that they quit making the ML25it. I wanted one of those a while back when Mr. Fixer showed its potential. Maybe they will come back. I think a lot incan stuff was phased out only due to that regulation that was supposed to had happened ealier this year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think light manufacturers had knowledge of this for 8-10 years or longer.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Tony turned off the switch at the light bulb making part of the factory in 2016 when California banned the light bulb. Now what you see in the market place is remaining stock piles. Dude had quite the operation going and could make enough product in one day to last the city of Boston a lifetime. The biggest sellers were the 2 and 3 cell D lites thanks to Wal Marts, Home Depot's and Lowes stores.

In a last gasp attempt he made the ML25 in a 2 and 3 cell incan version as a way of legally being able to sell some of the leftover bulbs. If it flopped, he could recoup losses through tax breaks. If it succeded he'd make profit. They sold about as well as ice in the frozen Tundra. The 2 cell touted a whopping 30 lumens. 3 cell boasted 63 lumens. The masses at that time were gobbling up lumen wars numbers and anything under 300 lumens collected dust on store shelves.

My favorite Maglite parts source Z Battery still has some ML25 incan lights in stock in a few colors.

But I seriously doubt Maglite will return to the incan market. Best we can hope for is Spectum series ML25, 50 and 300's in warm tint.

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Bykfixer. I didn't know about the cali ban, just a little on the national ban. Too bad he won't move somewhere else so he could do more without some mealy mouth yelling foul.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that Mag will bring back the incan ML25's, I 'm sure they lost enough money on them already – even the LED ML25's don't seem to sell as well as they should. I guess most people rather buy crappy lights with supposed higher lumens (and much LESS throw/candlepower). The ML25IT would have been just the thing if it came out in the late 80's or early 90's, but Mag was 30 years too late!

Apparently Tony had sunk a ton of money into developing new break through technology in bulbs when the EPA shut him down.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The LED ML 25 sold well at first. My first one was shortly after they came out. S/N was 10k plus. About a year later I bought one as a gift and the S/N was over a million. Sales flattened at some point though.

When I bought my first IT version(s) S/N's were 019, 037 and 119. Two years later the S/N on one I bought was just over 12k. So that told me the incan version was a flop. Not surprising. Now if Tony did a 3x123 version with a 6 cell bulb that might do a lot better. Yet he prefers to avoid lithium batteries largely. I'm supposing that too is due to the California system where a kid riding a bike at night with reflectors on it was hit by a car and his family won in court agaisnt Huffy. That's why bicycles have stickers that say "always wear a helmet, do not ride at night", why a bottle of shampoo has "not for human consumption" and many sodas say "contents under pressure, do not aim at eyes when opening". Yet alkaline cells used wrong can also have a thermal runaway issue too. I had to toss a light with alkalines in it one day when my pocket got really hot. Nothing like a lithium does but did :poof: when it hit the pavement and the plastic tail cap melted. Hence why the warning "never mix batteries".

Anyway, light bulbs are still plentiful and CPF members know how to get a 20 lumen flashlight to safely toss out 100 lumens or more. And the Maglite reflector causes it to look even brighter than that.

Last edited:

greenpondmike

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just sitting here trying to figure out which version of the ml25it to buy-2c or 3c. Not practical to buy both since my chevy truck has been high maintenance ($$) and I want to save up to buy an old ford f150 a fellow at work has.

Last edited:

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED ML 25 sold well at first. My first one was shortly after they came out. S/N was 10k plus. About a year later I bought one as a gift and the S/N was over a million. Sales flattened at some point though.

When I bought my first IT version(s) S/N's were 019, 037 and 119. Two years later the S/N on one I bought was just over 12k. So that told me the incan version was a flop. Not surprising. Now if Tony did a 3x123 version with a 6 cell bulb that might do a lot better. Yet he prefers to avoid lithium batteries largely. I'm supposing that too is due to the California system where a kid riding a bike at night with reflectors on it was hit by a car and his family won in court agaisnt Huffy. That's why bicycles have stickers that say "always wear a helmet, do not ride at night", why a bottle of shampoo has "not for human consumption" and many sodas say "contents under pressure, do not aim at eyes when opening". Yet alkaline cells used wrong can also have a thermal runaway issue too. I had to toss a light with alkalines in it one day when my pocket got really hot. Nothing like a lithium does but did :poof: when it hit the pavement and the plastic tail cap melted. Hence why the warning "never mix batteries".

Anyway, light bulbs are still plentiful and CPF members know how to get a 20 lumen flashlight to safely toss out 100 lumens or more. And the Maglite reflector causes it to look even brighter than that.

Mag is set up for large production runs; I'm sure they need to make 10,000's if not 100,000's at a clip for it to be worth while. At one time Mag was making 150,000 lights a day.