A Impromptu/Cheap Luxmeter Alternative: Measuring Lux With a Canon Camera and CHDK

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
[FONT=&quot]Hey All![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I was browsing the web yesterday, and I happened to stumble upon a Canon Camera Firmware addon![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]It's called CHDK, [/FONT]http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

Whoa! nice find & thanks for sharing, beside the Luminescence meter I thought this was a U-beaut feature too!

Motion-detection trigger - automatically fires camera on motion detection. (Fast enough to capture lightning strikes.)

So not only can it be used as an impromptu Luxmeter but as a makeshift (impromptu) security device as well... Sweet!!! :twothumbs

Last edited:

mmmflashlights

Enlightened
If shining on a wall, this would probably be best done on flat paint rather than paint with any sheen/gloss to it. Even better yet would likely be to shine onto a neutral gray (18%) card or similar paint - using a surface without sheen and/or a darker shade will probably help with measuring very high output lights that might actually be going beyond the meter's reliable range to measure light. Though it sounds like there have been some very good results in less than perfect setups.

lebox97

Enlightened
I use CHDK on my Canon SD1000 and A640 cameras, havn't had a chance to delve into some of the advanced stuff... but there are some pretty cool features, and the best part is when you remove your SD card (where the CHDK software resides), the camera returns to factory settings!

CHDK are software hacks specific to individual Canon camera models and versions...
so you'll need to find software hacks for your brand camera with Google, and/or find some Sony user forums and such to help out? It doesn't look promising though...

Is canon the only camera that can do this. I have a sony T500 and was wondering if there are any of these firmware hacks for the sony. Thanks