AA Battery/Cell Charger for World Traveler's Light Package

Bicycleflyer

Enlightened
LOL..I see from your multiple posts, you've been getting the crash course in flashlights, batteries, and chargers.

FWIW..I too use the Eneloop 1500 USB charger and it works good. You won't have any issues with either the batteries or the charger. I have to thank you too, some of the advice given here will help me as well. I really like the idea of keeping spare batts in the power-to-go setup. I'm going to steal that one. I also like Cottonpickers LiIon charger...If I had not already bought one of those chargers that charges both AA NiMh and 18650s I would be looking at one of those too.

Lampe

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I also would like to travel light and I am looking for a compact AA/AAA charger from a normal power outlet (no solar) and with USB output (to charge phone or other devices, when no power outlet is available).
To be compact, 2 slots is enough I suppose.
I think it is more or less similar to what A10ACN was requesting.

I only found:
  • Sanyo Eneloop KBC-E1 (or KBC-E1S, or KBC-E1AS) with 2 slots AA but which is not produced anymore.
  • Soshine SC-EAA with 4 slots AA

Perhaps somebody can recommend another device ?

Thanks !

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Hello,

I also would like to travel light and I am looking for a compact AA/AAA charger from a normal power outlet (no solar) and with USB output (to charge phone or other devices, when no power outlet is available).
To be compact, 2 slots is enough I suppose.
I think it is more or less similar to what A10ACN was requesting.

I only found:
  • Sanyo Eneloop KBC-E1 (or KBC-E1S, or KBC-E1AS) with 2 slots AA but which is not produced anymore.
  • Soshine SC-EAA with 4 slots AA

Perhaps somebody can recommend another device ?

Thanks !

The Goal Zero Guide 10 Plus power pack (without the solar charging kit) gives you a compact 4xAA NiMh cell box that charges via a USB connector or powers/charges usb devices from that same connector. Add a typical AC USB charger (for iPhone, ipad or whatever) and you are all set.

Lampe

Newly Enlightened
Thanks !

Yes I saw it but some on the reviews on amazon.com were really frightening (fried devices and so on).
And it seems only to work when 4 AA are there ?

jimboutilier

Enlightened
Thanks !

Yes I saw it but some on the reviews on amazon.com were really frightening (fried devices and so on).
And it seems only to work when 4 AA are there ?

I've been using them for years with no issues at all. Perfect reliability and safety. Maybe I've just been lucky but have 5 of them in the family in different roles.

The down side is you do need all four batteries in place to charge or use as a charger. And the unit charges/uses all four at once, not as individual circuits. So if you swap in one or two discharged batteries withe the rest being full, all will get charged. NiMh batteries are fairly tolerant of this so it's not horrible, but it's not ideal either. And the batteries that come with the unit are high capacity (2400mah I think) but they are not LSD so need recharging every few months. I tend to use Eneloopes instead.

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
Here's my ultralight traveling rig for charging AAAs, AAs, 14500s, an iPhone, iPad, and the iPhone from 2xEneloops (iGo PowerXtender which of course doubles for spare cells for flashlights and other AA travel gadgets. I would skip trying to charge your Air or iPad off-grid - you need some serious battery power for any meaningful charge (ie, multiple 18650s), but t's easy charging an iPhone from Eneloops and in a pinch, it can do most things I need to anyway. If you go 14500, then you also need a voltmeter with you, why not use CottonPicker's Worlds Smallest USB charger and kill two birds with one stone (only single cell though).

zeqy3ehy.jpg

I too use an iGo emergency charger like that... I see you have AW 14500's as well... my question is, can I use my 14500's in the iGo to recharge my phone? I tried searching the web but couldn't find input specs anywhere.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too use an iGo emergency charger like that... I see you have AW 14500's as well... my question is, can I use my 14500's in the iGo to recharge my phone? I tried searching the web but couldn't find input specs anywhere.

I wouldn't risk using 1.... and definitely not 2. I EDC a spare 3V CRAA, though, which is perfect for my Quark AAX and will power all my other 2AA gadgets (GPS, iGo, Radio) - just make a dummy cell with a piece of tinfoil to complete the circuit. Next up, I think I'll be storing that CRAA in an Atom AA "battery container" that will double duty as a spare light :).

REDLINEVUE

Newly Enlightened
^^^^^^
Thanks.... thats sort of what I thought but wasn't sure. Ill have to try the foil trick.

Thanks again