AAAA rechargeables?

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
Anyone know anything of AAAA reechargeables? Im thinking of getting a UV stylus penlight from streamlight and it uses 3 AAAA.

I know sometimes they are on the inside of 9 volts, so what if I pulled apart a 9v nimh and used the AAAAs inside as rechargeables???

Also, I think an AAAA x1 or x2 Rebel light would be awesomely cool.

neophyte340

Newly Enlightened
I have a led lenser that uses 3 AAAA batts as well,, I get them for free at work:D however.... I know that you can open up a 9v battery (nearly completely safe) and theres 6 AAAAs inside...but they are not proccesed for sale :(so they dont have an outside wrapped and the ends are a bit shorter...perhaps on the web somwhere they show how to make these 9v AAAAs a little more usable.

neophyte340

Newly Enlightened
oh i ddint read your whole post apparently...that NiMH AAAA idea you have .....It sounds plausible...I cant think of why that wouldnt work..I bet someone has done this already.

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also note that not all alkaline 9V batteries use the AAAA configuration. Some have stacked wafer "Pez" type cells inside the case. I can't remember which is which, but when I opened up an Energizer and a ROV 9V battery, one had the AAAA's, the other had the wafers. Never heard of a NiMH 9V having AAAA's inside, but I suppose it easy enough to find out. Buy one and cut it open.

warlord

Enlightened
It's usually the cheaper 9v's that uses the square-style cells. I'm curious to see what inside one of them NiMH 9v's thought.

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
Watch out.

The vast majority of today's NiMH batteries are 8.4V, with seven cells inside. There just isn't room for seven AAAA cells inside the metal jacket.

I got criticised for calling them "AAAAA cells", but they are definitely & noticelably smaller, in both diameter and length, than AAAA cells.

(I am in the process of gutting eight of these to make a rechargeable 467 battery, amongst my other projects.)

The ones I have encountered are nicely shrink-wrapped, and if you can get around the flat-top issue in this tiny size, should work well.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
I still think a rebel pen light would be crazy with 1 or 2 AAAA batteries.
Ill order a Nimh rechargeable 9 volt and see what happens.

eyeeatingfish

Enlightened
My batery charger has a slide to accomidate various sizes, i think it might close the distance for a AAAA but not sure.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Eyeeatingfish,

NiMh 9 volt batteries don't contain AAAA cells. They look like this...

9vbatterycopy.jpg

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Lctorana,

Are you sure they are NiMh?

I haven't seen cylindrical cells in a 9 volt since NiCd days.

What brand of 9 volt did you find them in?

Tom

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
A local Melbourne brand, with their own wrapper - goodness only knows where he sources them from.

Capacity, was 160mAh and now is up to 200mAh, so they are most definitely NiMH.

Incidentally and contrariwise, I've never heard of a 7-cell NiCd battery, FWIW.

Bizzarely, Eveready still market ye olde 7.2v NiCd 9v 110mAh batteries in hardware stores at full price, and people still buy them.

warlord

Enlightened
Hello Eyeeatingfish,

NiMh 9 volt batteries don't contain AAAA cells. They look like this...

9vbatterycopy.jpg

Tom

Is that a plastic container it came in?:eek:oo:

I want it! I wonder if there's anyplace I can get those cheap...:thinking:

Do you guys know where I can find plastic case'd 9v's cheap?

Last edited:

Exit32

Newly Enlightened
I have a led lenser that uses 3 AAAA batts as well,, I get them for free at work:D however.... I know that you can open up a 9v battery (nearly completely safe) and theres 6 AAAAs inside...but they are not proccesed for sale :(so they dont have an outside wrapped and the ends are a bit shorter...perhaps on the web somwhere they show how to make these 9v AAAAs a little more usable.

Be careful with those "almost AAAA" cells taken from an alkaline 9-volt battery. The cells are shorter than genuine AAAA cells, and the polarity is REVERSED. In other words, the button ends of these cells are negative (-) and the flat ends of the cells are positive (+). you could ruin a perfectly good Streamlight Stylus flashlight if you don't pay attention to polarity.

Illum

Flashaholic
Hmm. Those tiny cells look pretty useful for small projects.
I'm guessing they are containers that held two button cells in parallel then stacked in the fashion shown, but I dunno:candle:

NiMH AAAAs definitely exist.
you can buy GP industrial NiMH AAAAs with stated 300mAh here: http://www.reichelt.de/?;ACTION=3;L...wQAR0AACSVcRY954047cfe87b74eea9d7768af53b6eb4
but they are out of stock, the minimum order value for shipment to other countries than germany is 150€:shakehead and the payment methods are very limited:caution:

try here?
http://www.batteryplanet.co.uk/index1.html?target=p228.html

Last edited: