AccuPower IQ-328 AA/AAA Charger -- Nice... and Smart!!

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
p.s.

I wish there was a charger like the IQ, but that you could SET THE CHARGE RATES FOR INDIVIDUAL CELLS!!!

I must admit I thought the IQ did this, at first, so,ething about charging different chemistries and sizes all at once..
but then they woupd all be charging at the same rate! phooey! if you mix aaa and aa 's you have to charge at the lowest rate acceptable to ALL them, ie 200ma in my h. opinion 500ma is too much for aaa's ... still a nice charger ... I shoulda bought two when they were $32...!

Verndog

Enlightened
p.s.

I wish there was a charger like the IQ, but that you could SET THE CHARGE RATES FOR INDIVIDUAL CELLS!!!

I must admit I thought the IQ did this, at first, so,ething about charging different chemistries and sizes all at once..
but then they woupd all be charging at the same rate! phooey! if you mix aaa and aa 's you have to charge at the lowest rate acceptable to ALL them, ie 200ma in my h. opinion 500ma is too much for aaa's ... still a nice charger ... I shoulda bought two when they were $32...!

Actually you don't. You can set the charge rate for each bay individually. The only limit you have is, after setting the first charge rate, then subsequent charge rates cannot be higher then #1. So put your AA's in first, set them, then your AAA's and set them. :thumbsup:

One little trick some may not have noticed. After setting charge rate #1, you have to wait 5-10 seconds till the screen flashes...then it's now charging. after that, put you next cell in and repeat process.

Here is proof of this. AA on left at 1.0amps, cell on right at .5amps.

Accupower-5-003.jpg

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
holy freakin crap!!! it works!!! Verndog how have you kept this a secret so long???
Nobody else knows this, not even engineer NLee famed amazon reviewer of chargers..!!!

Thank you!!! you are genius. too. :)

Verndog

Enlightened
One very smart feature I like, is you can put 1 cell in and press current to select the amps to charge at then add another cell and repeat...or, just put all 4 in and do it once to keep all 4 the same. You can also do the same with the mode...discharge 2 and charge 2 the same way. By default it will charge at .2 amps, so if you do nothing it will just slow charge.

Any question feel free to ask...

holy freakin crap!!! it works!!! Verndog how have you kept this a secret so long???
Nobody else knows this, not even engineer NLee famed amazon reviewer of chargers..!!!

Thank you!!! you are genius. too. :)

LOL...it wasn't kept a secret. It's right there in my first post where I reviewed the charger. :grin2:

NLee is still a rookie when it comes to this charger. :devil:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, you said,

"One very smart feature I like, is you can put 1 cell in and press current to select the amps to charge at then add another cell and repeat...or, just put all 4 in and do it once to keep all 4 the same. You can also do the same with the mode...discharge 2 and charge 2 the same way. By default it will charge at .2 amps, so if you do nothing it will just slow charger.."

Since this is also what I believed was true, it worked fine for me, for a while .. thats right, when I had faith, I unknowingly must have placed the batteries high to low charge current, and when I tried to do it the wrong way (low to high) it seemed to me the charger NEVER really worked that way... and so, I saw your photo,
and instantly assumed it was a FRAUD ; that the picture was in fact a photo of the accumulated ma read out, very similar in appearance to the current setting..so I tried the high to low, and it worked!

It was thrilling, I tell you. a virtual ecstatic god experience. ;)

Last edited:

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
...got a new one for ya; you dont have to go left to right. Just make the first battery the highest current, and each subsequent placement of battery lower, you can put them in any slot. just dont remove the highest charging battery, that will lower the highest possible charge to the next lowest charge rate. hope thats clear enough..?

Verndog

Enlightened
...got a new one for ya; you dont have to go left to right. Just make the first battery the highest current, and each subsequent placement of battery lower, you can put them in any slot. just dont remove the highest charging battery, that will lower the highest possible charge to the next lowest charge rate. hope thats clear enough..?

Correct. That is what I was referring to when it said it auto detects the cell slot last inserted. Left to right is a natural order, but not required. Also, contrary to others postings...you can discharge / test 2 and charge 2 at the same time. The limit is the last cells have to be charge only.

mccririck

Enlightened
Mine started buzzing a bit last night. I turned the power connector a bit in it's socket and it stopped, but it started again when I moved it. Seems to happen when I was a bit heavy-handed filling up the slots with AAA batteries. At the moment I can stop the buzzing but tweaking the position of the power connector a bit, but I hope it doesnt get worse.

joef63

Newly Enlightened
Hi, after less than a year of use, the device does not always detect batteries, not switch the mode (only charge can be selected). Is there is any solution like reset or something else? Thank you.

mccririck

Enlightened
Hi, after less than a year of use, the device does not always detect batteries, not switch the mode (only charge can be selected). Is there is any solution like reset or something else? Thank you.

You'd probably be best to contact the manufacturer and ask them.

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened

Verndog

Enlightened
My IQ-328 just arrived with new Eneloops X series, any advice on which mode to use to break in the new eneloops?

I prefer to run test cycle on all new cells, then label the actual mah on each cell. This will also serve to break in the cells, and you have a baseline to test the battery against down the road if you suspect a weak cell and want to re-test.

Test cycle charges, discharges and records capacity, then recharges.

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
I prefer to run test cycle on all new cells, then label the actual mah on each cell. This will also serve to break in the cells, and you have a baseline to test the battery against down the road if you suspect a weak cell and want to re-test.

Test cycle charges, discharges and records capacity, then recharges.

Thanks, busy running the " test cycle " with my older cells to get an idea of the control panel , your early review certainly assisted.
I think I'm going to keep a spreadsheet log of charge cycles, especially with my new Eneloops.

Question what type of label do you use on the cells?

Verndog

Enlightened
Thanks, busy running the " test cycle " with my older cells to get an idea of the control panel , your early review certainly assisted.
I think I'm going to keep a spreadsheet log of charge cycles, especially with my new Eneloops.

Question what type of label do you use on the cells?

I use the Brother label maker that comes with the thin white tape x 3/8 wide. Works very well, and doesn't come off in any devices I use the rechargeables in. If you scroll up you can see the labels in a couple of my pics.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I2EDA4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Last edited:

Dirtbasher

Newly Enlightened
I use the Brother label maker that comes with the thin white tape x 3/8 wide. Works very well, and doesn't come off in any devices I use the rechargeables in. If you scroll up you can see the labels in a couple of my pics.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004I2EDA4/?tag=cpf0b6-20

Ahh , had a feeling you were using the Brother, it has been on my wish list for years, now I have to get one !
Thanks again.