• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Acebeam L16vn - Best High Output Tactical R

Keitho

Enlightened
I have a lot of similar lights, but I have a feeling the L16 HD would be something I'd really enjoy. (let's be real I already spend way too much money on lights o I need to justify another one ;) )

OK, here is a link to some beam shots I took just for fun, comparing four lights in an un-exciting scene (my backyard). (The X7 and the GT, I threw in just because I wanted to giggle.)
- Zebralight SC64c, factory rated at 900 lumens, CRI 93, 4000K
- Olight X7VN 70.2, Vinh measured at 21,000 lumens, 600m throw, 6500K
- Acebeam L16VN XHP35HD, Vinh measured at 1700 lumens, 552m throw, 4000K
- BLF GT (stock), XHP35 HI, Vinh measured at ~1900 lumens, 2098m throw, 4000K

https://imgur.com/a/7zuGhGn
7zuGhGn

All outdoor shots are with a 55mm lens, same ISO, exposure, shutter speed, aperture, and white balance. All the flashlights are on turbo. I wasn't too scientific about duration and voltages, but all the shots were within about 30 seconds of turn-on, and all of the cells used were high-drain, starting at the same voltage.

I have the light about 10' (3m) in front of the camera, and the fence is another 35' (10m) in front of that. The tree's trunk is about 10' (3m) in front of the fence.

What did I learn? Well, I reaffirmed my love my SC64c, which goes in my pocket and on my bicycle helmet every day. For most purposes before sunrise or after sunset, I love the warm, high-CRI beam, the small size, and the efficiency with which it sips the W-hrs. I was surprised how much more perceived brightness there was with the L16VN, going from 900 to 1700 lumens. That 4000K tint is just about as tight of a hotspot that I would consider "useful" at distances below 25 yards/meters. I love the L16VN for its "just right" beam spread--wide enough that I don't have to aim it as carefully as a sniper, or choose between shining it at someone's left knee or right knee; but, tight enough to be very effective as a tactical tool at short to medium distances (a good match with my revolvers, which are also fun and effective at short to medium distances). I also love the smooth transition from hotspot to corona to spill--I'm not a fan of harsh edges (well, that GT is a whole different animal, which I love for different reasons).

To me, I can't see a way to make a better tactical light--handling, build quality, UI, beam--nothing that I can imagine improving. But, I see myself using the L16vn for a lot more situations than just "tactical," since the beam is so pleasantly neutral, and the UI is so great. If I'm honest, I like being prepared, but I have never had a need for a tactical light. Even the on-board USB charging will probably get some use--I'll probably throw it in my carry-on bag on my next airline trip, and leave my 18650 charger at home.

Hope that helped!

Last edited:

LichtAn!

Enlightened
What high drain cell you charge to 4.35V?

The comparison sure helped. I expected the spill to be a bit wider on the L16VN, but the tint is beautiful. Hmm...

Keitho

Enlightened
I edited my post: I don't want anyone to take my habits on charge voltage as a recommendation, or derail this thread.

I'm pretty happy with the amount of spill on the L16vn with the XHP35HD. But, I can see the usefulness of a more focused thrower for sure--I think that's why most people opt for the L16vn with the HI. Most people like a few more lumens, too, and opt for the 6500K. My preferences for warmer and slightly floodier are the minority on this light, I think.

C'mon, you need this light LichtAn!

LichtAn!

Enlightened
I mean the hotspot is fine, but I expected the spill to be closer to your feet. I'm still on the hunt for the perfect walking light which still packs a punch for the distance if needed. I already passed up on the limited edition U21 Oslon, which hurts me quiet a lot. But I'm gonna wait for my triple SST-40 to arrive for now.