• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Adjustable 10A linear LED driver - New and Improved!

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, you need 5 posts I think before you can PM.

$25 for the driver, $16.95 shipping.

Keep in mind you are responsible for any duty or import fees. I haven't shipped any to France, but I think it was the Netherlands where someone complained the duty was nearly as much as the driver! No one else has even mentioned it, so I suspect most countries don't charge much if any.

Also for that shipping fee you don't get insurance, tracking, delivery confirmation, or anything like that. The next step up is $35.32. That gets you insurance and tracking. Without insurance, once I give it to the Post Office, it's yours and I am not responsible for it any more. I don't want to scare you; I've shipped a dozen or so of these around the world at the lower fee, and haven't lost any yet. I just want to be clear what you are getting.

scotts

Newly Enlightened
Hi, I'm looking to buy in bulk for a product I'm developing. Also, I have some machining resources that may you may find useful. Would you mind pm'ing me?

Thanks,
Scott

l1nuxfre4k

Newly Enlightened
cool driver :),
how much for posting to Sweden?

Also a stupid question but,
Do you make other drivers also with lower A?
I need a driver for 5x Cree T6s and one for 13x T6s :p
Is that something you could make?

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
cool driver :),
how much for posting to Sweden?

Also a stupid question but,
Do you make other drivers also with lower A?
I need a driver for 5x Cree T6s and one for 13x T6s :p
Is that something you could make?

Post to Sweden is $20. I'm sending a package there tonight.

What are you planning to use for power? 5x means they have to be in series and thus the output voltage would be around 16.75V at 3A. Input voltage would have to be higher than that. The 'automotive' version of the IS1006 could be made to do that. I also make the IS1011 which has an on-board pot so you can set the current anywhere from 0-13.5A. Also, it's a true automotive driver. The thread is here.

But 13x would also have to be in series, which means over 40 volts! Take a look at Taskled. He makes a couple of boost drivers that go that high. 12x could be 3s4p or 4s3p, either of which could be handled by my drivers, or numerous others. The Taskled drivers are switchers, so you don't have much to worry about with heat in the driver. Mine are linear, so you have to be careful.

l1nuxfre4k

Newly Enlightened
Yours would be for a SST90 flashlight i got so :), just got one and its way to low output. 20$? USPS that expensive? thought you could get away with lower.
So total price 45$?
Hm ok, the flashlights i want to mod got room for 4x18650 and the other one got room for 3x 18650 or 3x26650.
So how high output you think i could get out? :)

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yours would be for a SST90 flashlight i got so :), just got one and its way to low output. 20$? USPS that expensive? thought you could get away with lower.
So total price 45$?
Hm ok, the flashlights i want to mod got room for 4x18650 and the other one got room for 3x 18650 or 3x26650.
So how high output you think i could get out? :)

Yes, if you want a standard 5, 8, 9, or 10 amp IS1006 the price is $25 + shipping. If you need custom, it's a little more, depending on what you need.

With 3x 26650 you should be able to run the '90 at full blast. I think your main problem is going to be heat. I built a light that's got a lot of thermal mass (heavy aluminum), and dissipates about 16W. After about 10 minutes it's uncomfortable to hold (it was made for diving, so not really an issue there). If you have less mass, and/or more power, it will heat up that much faster. A handheld light simply isn't capable of staying cool with 35W in it. But you could run it that way for a little while. For sustained operation, it will depend on your light, but I'd guess 8-10W is about the limit. Otherwise you'll be cooking your led, your batteries, and your hands.

First Class is less expensive, but then I can't do anything online, and I have to go to the post office, fill out all the forms, have the clerk check everything over, etc. I'm basically doing this as a hobby, and that would make it NOT fun, so I haven't offered that service. The next cheapest way is with Priority Mail Flat Rate. I still have to go to the post office, but just to drop it off. That used to be $13.20 to most countries, but it went up a lot last year. Since it varies a little from country to country, I decided to just make a flat $20 for everyone. If prices go up and I start losing money on shipping, I'll change it again.

landries

Newly Enlightened
Re: Adjustable 10A linear constant current driver

can you make a 20A/10A version of this , input will be 5V
greetings

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

The circuit board isn't designed for that kind of current. I wouldn't be comfortable telling you it would be reliable at that level. What's the environment it's likely to be in?

You might also want to check out the 13.5A IS1011 with more bells and whistles. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...Automotive-linear-13-5A-LED-driver-adjustable

It's a beefier design all around, and would be better at 20A, though even it isn't really designed for that, and I wouldn't call it suitable for general applications at that current. Unfortunately it would need to be customized to run at 5V.

landries

Newly Enlightened

input can be changed to 3s or 4s lithium batts
but i need 20A output
it is for a divelight with a luminus CBT-140
do you have a good solution for me?
greetings
luc

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

You could run two stock IS1006's in parallel.

In a dive light, nice aluminum housing, ambient temp (around the driver) will never be high, you could probably get away with 20A on the IS1011.

las3r

Enlightened

I tried to PM you, but the error msg told me your mailbox was completely full.

could you kindly reply to [email protected], and I'll order.

thanks

Same here id like to place a order/ some more questions if u can send me a PM thanks
Howard

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've never really tried it, as it was intended for analog input, not PWM.

The way I've been building it, it effectively has a low-pass filter of 2.8 kHz, so you would start to see strange behavior as the PWM frequency got above 500 Hz, i.e. the average output current would not be linear with PWM duty cycle, especially at very low and very high duty cycle. This would get worse as the PWM frequency is increased.

However, I built a lot of the IS1006, which is very similar, with 125 KHz cutoff. This would allow PWM frequency of 10 KHz and higher. I could easily build you one or more IS1011s with this frequency. The reason I made the change was because people were talking about making the LED and the driver some distance apart. At the higher frequency I would recommend keeping the wire length between the LED and the driver down to a foot or so.

If you're really interested I could test one for you before you buy.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can see my last post might be a bit hard to understand. I'll try to clarify.

The IS1006 was built for flashlights. It was expected that the input would be DC (actually, just a switch connection). To ensure that the driver wouldn't misbehave (oscillate) on it's own, a low-pass filter was incorporated. This happened to land at around 125 KHz. This is completely sufficient to ensure the driver behaves (doesn't oscillate) if the wires are short.

When I started building the IS1011, which is very similar, just with more bells and whistles and designed for use in vehicles, it became obvious that people wanted to use much longer wires in their vehicles than anyone would ever think to do in a flashlight. In order to ensure that the driver would continue to behave with longer wires I dropped the filter frequency. By changing a single component, I dropped the frequency from 125 KHz to 2.8 KHz. The component and frequency were not chosen scientifically, I just chose a part I had available that would serve the purpose and ensure nobody would have problems

Now enter a user that's thinking about PWM input. The stock IS1011 should work with PWM input (though I haven't tested it) into the 100+ HZ range. If you were willing to keep the wires short (between the driver and the LED), I can make the filter frequency high enough that it should work with 10 KHz or higher PWM frequency.

All this would be subject to test, but I have no doubt it can be achieved.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry, forgot about this question!

Yes, I'll ship to Italy. Keep in mind though, that unless it's insured (which is expensive), once it leaves my hands (when I leave it at the post office) it's yours. I will not be responsible for lost packages.

If you want it insured, I'll have to do some research before agreeing to ship to Italy.

Marchino5

Newly Enlightened
Ok
there is no problem.
send me the total with shipping
you can give me some advice, I have to drive an SST-90.
what do you think the best configuration of your driver ?, I'd like to try the 10A configuration, but is not too strong, whereas the maximum is 9A
thanks
Marco

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are only driving one LED, this is probably not the right driver. The power dissipation in the driver would be around 100W!

KJmakeitrain

Newly Enlightened
Hi Don, I am building a Mag C body light with aspheric lens and SST-90 LED. Can I buy a driver from you? I'd like one with either 2 or 3 modes, with 9amp being the high mode.

thank you