Advances in lithium-ion battery technology boosts power while lowering risks.

gtsx

Newly Enlightened
http://www.appliancedesign.com/CDA/Articles/Feature_Article/BNP_GUID_9-5-2006_A_10000000000000063791

-----The next generation of lithium-ion batteries has improved safety characteristics in part through the use of alternative, nano-sized materials, particularly phosphates. Traditional lithium-ion technology uses active materials with particles that range in size between 5 and 20 microns.

But, more and more, battery manufacturers such as A123Systems of Watertown, Mass., Altair Nanotechnologies, Reno, Nev., and Austin, Texas-based Valence Technology are using particles that have migrated from the micron world to the nano world to boost power, and shelf life while minimizing fire risks.

The greater density of particles provides more surface area on which the ions can travel and generate additional power. In essence, battery power is derived from the diffusion of lithium-ions moving in and out of particles. When particles are smaller, but more numerous, that equates to greater diffusion and much faster kinetics than would be generated with one large particle.

Rick Fulop, co-founder and vice president of business development for A123 Systems, Watertown, Mass., says that the use of nano-sized materials in batteries is the biggest innovation in battery technologies in years and was a key reason that Black & Decker has incorporated the company's batteries in a new line of DeWalt 36 V power tools including a hammerdrill, reciprocating saw, circular saw, impact wrench, rotary hammer, jigsaw, and flashlight.

Fulop says that the ability to control the surface area, the particle size, and the morphology of the active materials used in batteries have brought battery technology to a completely new level. He says his company uses particle sizes below 100 nm without adverse reactions. The batteries can pulse at discharge rates as high as C100, which is the rated capacity in ampere-hours at a constant discharge current, and can deliver more than 3,000 W/kg with a weight to discharge of 0.9 lbs at 1,500 W. Cell temperature range is –30 DegC to 70 DegC, as compared to a traditional lithium-ion battery with a range of about 0 DegC to about 50 DegC.

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
good stuff.

it would be nice if they could improve the lifespan of lithium-ion batteries.

eg. batteries only last 2-3 years whether you use them or not!!!!!

regards.

John.

2xTrinity

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I have heard this thrown around a lot, I have a ton of old devices (including some PDAs, older cell phones, and laptops) that use LiIon batteries that are at least 3 years old with many cycles on the battery that still have reasonable runtime -- about 75% of original not <50% as has been suggested from countless sources for LiIon after 3 years. I've seen cell phone batteries (LiIon) survive 2-3 years of dailing cycling for example! The difference is probably more pronounced for higher-current applications though, I'm mainly judging by standby time. Most of my devices that are high current (tools, radios, etc) are NiMH.

Last edited:

bfg9000

Flashlight Enthusiast
I believe the "lifespan" is commonly defined as 80% of original capacity, same as with NiMH.

This does not mean they cannot continue to be used; I now have lithium-ion cells over ten years old and they still charge up fine. They just have about a third of their original capacity from each charge.

By the time NiMH reach 80% I find they often have other problems from leaking, fast self discharge or being plain rejected by chargers, so this graceful behavior of Li-ion decline is actually not too bad. Especially since we now know our hi-cap NiMH only last about 150 charges anyway.

NiCD OTOH, seem to last forever if not left sitting at 0v (they seem to leak that way). I have NiCD cells that are 20 years old and they still deliver more than their rated capacity today.

max52

Newly Enlightened
What is your point. Tell us the functional application of your review of the new technology for use in the powering of lights for next week.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your point. Tell us the functional application of your review of the new technology for use in the powering of lights for next week.
I just bought a black and decker VPX battery pack from Lowes for $20. Inside are two 18650s from A123 systems W/ nano phosphate technology. I got these because I want to run three cree R2s @2A each from 2 18650s. I felt that might be a little to hard/dangerous for normal Lithium ions. These A123 batteries can do this without even breaking a sweat.

Alan B

Flashlight Enthusiast
good stuff.

it would be nice if they could improve the lifespan of lithium-ion batteries.

regards.

John.
I belive the Lithium Iron A123 cells are rated for a 10 year life, so if true that is also a major improvement over previous technology.

-- Alan B

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought a black and decker VPX battery pack from Lowes for $20. Inside are two 18650s from A123 systems W/ nano phosphate technology. I got these because I want to run three cree R2s @2A each from 2 18650s. I felt that might be a little to hard/dangerous for normal Lithium ions. These A123 batteries can do this without even breaking a sweat.

Sweet. Any pix ? :popcorn:

hopkins

Enlightened
I can only imagine how many 'suits' it took to come up with the user
friendly term : VENTING WITH FLAME
for when these cells reach terminal entrophy. (but is a nicely turned phrase huh?). :confused::thumbsdow:scowl::whistle:

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
the engineering terms for exciting product adventures have always cracked me up. Like "energetic disassembly" for explosion (which I think was actually coined by the guy that the electric company in charge of 3 mile island put forward to talk to the press about the accident. He was a real jerk and probably personally did more damage to the industry telling them stuff like that to the than the actual accident did)

Our schools are just as bad at making stuff up like that. When a child does poorly now they are having "Negative gain" (I've build radio kits that suffered from something like that too ;) ) YOu dont get suspended anymore you get "mandatory discontinued attendance" and the detentions I got for unauthorized experiments in the lunchroom are now called "post instructional behavioral adjustment periods"

An airplane crash is a plain suffering "hull loss" from an "unplanned landing" You