Adventures in Modding a Blackhawk Gladius - SUCCESS!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Adventures in Modding a Blackhawk Gladius

Okay gang, it's been over a year. The Gladius has been joined by an Insight Typhoon that I modded with an XML2 and reflector and I love it. Perfect UI, perfect tint. http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?428858-Insight-Typhoon-getting-an-XML2 Based on my rough calculations and seat of the pants guess and Justin Case's 950 mA number, it's putting out between 300-400 lumens.

Now I want to mod my Gladius to a single die reflector. The triple is fun, but I like having some throw for a tactical light. I have an XP-L and a smooth reflector on order from Mountain Electronics. We'll see how it goes. While we're talking about it, is it possible to boost the current from the Gladius?

One thing I've experienced is a sudden shock to the Gladius will make it turn off. I have to loosen and tighten the tailcap and it's back to normal. If I were to hazard a guess, my constant fiddling with it while I was modding it loosened the ribbon that goes down through the body that is triggered by the position of the magnet in the tailcap. I'm guessing if the light is dropped, that position is moved and the light thinks it's off. Not sure if this theory has any merit.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

You guys created a monster... ya know that? I just removed the triple XPG2 and have a beautiful XP-L and a mirrored reflector in the Gladius now. It's a blaster! Beamshots will be up.

I think I figured out the intermittent connection issue. Added a fiber washer between the lens and front of the reflector holder to keep everything together.

Last edited:

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

Checking back, the Gladius is no longer with us.
After tweaking and loosening and tightening and testing to try to stop the connection issue (if it was shaken hard enough or dropped on a carpeted floor, it would turn off. Loosening and tightening the tailcap and it works again), it stopped working permanently. I'm sure repeatedly cranking down on the reflector and messing up the leads to the XP-L that I had to resolder multiple times probably had something to do with it. I resorted to pulling the entire insides out and trying to adjust the position of the three strips that went down to sensors to detect the tailcap position. It didn't end well but I'm still good. Everything I learned from this, I used to mod my Typoon, which works perfectly and is now front line gear.

Plus, I'm also tracking a beater Gladius on the 'bay. If I win it, the guts are going right back in mine and it'll be back up with parts to spare. Win-win! :)

Latest posts