Advice on an "entry level" Surefire

lovenhim

Enlightened
Thanks for all of the help. :) I am not looking to inpress anyone of WOW anyone with the light. I am simply looking for a quality, relieable light that I can use and not be concerned with quality. There are cheaper lights that are brighter so I will never win a contest with brightness but I will have a light that will still be here 10 years from now. I really do like the grips on the C2 and the way it looks and it is not just another black flashlight. I will look into those lights mentioned.
Now about the rechargeables mentioned earlier. Can I run those with the stock P60 incan without blowing the bulb? Do I use 3.0v or 3.6v cells? I also know that people love the AW cells, what about a charger? It seems that boying from DX is a gamble and I am not that type of guy. I want it to work, so I will pay a few extra bucks to get something that does. I also sent an email to Surefire and they said do not use rechargeables in the C2, but then again they do want to sell you their batteries.
I also just got a PM and I am being offered some lights that are not Surefire. They want my C2 and will offer me two other lights with brands like Fenix and Quark. That is temping in a way, what to do. I know they are not SF lights but I "want" a SF yet a Quark is more practical for my uses.

Last edited:

ypsifly

Enlightened
I have at least one of every single cell light that SF makes, yet I mostly edc a Fenix PD 20+ (after my T1A Titan but that is wayyyy past your range) . They go for around $60.

As for the warranty and after market drop ins, I think that will technically void the warranty but they are still good about repairing/replacing original parts. AFAIK.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
lots of great lights can be had for $70

maybe a used surefire, a used custom, or any number of new lights of another company.

sappyg

Enlightened
an entry level SF is the G2/L. which is the SF i started with.

all but one of my SFs are set up to run incan with rechargable cells b/c that's the way i roll and the way i think of SF.

personally i love the e2e for EDC. 2 AW RCR123, 1 HO-e2r (110 lumins60 minutes) from LF and you're well set. actually the e2e could be considered a 'classic' SF and can be had at a reasonable price. the e1e is right there also.

to play with flashlights means that you will eventually go the way of rechargable cells. might as well invest in them now. a charger is just the cost of doing business. i've used several sets of AW rcr123's for a couple of years now and i've never had a problem with them. others will come along to comment on their technical superiority. batteries are an extension of the hobby. the OP already knows that they will not work in SF issue lamp assemblies and an aftermarket LA is needed.

good advice is to check out the SF E series addict thread. best advise is to use the search junction a little more. it may be that a SF is not the best light for OP. just sayin'

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
You've been given a lot of good suggestions on Surefire models, which are well made lights. So I'll offer a different perspective. I started with SF lights (Z2 Combat and E2e) and while I really liked them, as I got more into lights I wanted more versatility in output levels, the safety of using single-cell powering, and ability to run on Li-Ion (rechargeable lithium-ion cells). Which led me to look beyond Surefire offerings.

My thinking is, rather than focus on buying a particular brand name, focus on applications and features. I've got a number of great Surefires (Z2, E2, E1B, L1, E1e, a few 6Ps - some of which I am using with aftermarket LED lamp modules and li-ion powering). But I found that none of them offered the versatility that I desired, which was multi level output (a high MAX, bright and long-running mid levels, and verrry squeeky low low low) combined with versatile single-cell powering in the most commonly found battery size one can think of, and the ability to do this running anything from a single-cell Li-ion (my 1st choice of powering) to a lithium primary, a NiHM AA-size rechargeable, an Eneloop, and if desperate and in a locale where this is all that's available... your basic, ubiquitous AA alkaline.

Enter the Quark AA. Ideal carry size (not too small, not too big), ideal and amazing powering options/flexibility, output from very high to a tiny squeeky moonmode, beautiful, clean artifact-free beam, forward clicky when you want it, reverse clicky when you want that, variety of output tints available, offered by a solid company with excellent customer service and long warranty. If I could only have 1 light, it would be a Quark AA. One may well find oneself in a time and place where the only batteries you may find for a small flashlight would be AA alkaline. And this light will run them well!

Add to that the ability to "lego" Quark bodies, tailcaps/switches, and heads into an amazing number of possibilities... reverse clicky switches, tailstanding switches, protruding button forward clicky switches, cool white, neutral white, warm white emitter options, yada, yada, yada. You can set up a Quark to meet an amazing variety of needs. And priced right!

Now, I've got Quark bodies, tailcaps, and heads of every size and type and can make up about any configuration I desire for whatever purpose or powering option I might need. My EDC now is either a Q123 running on AW RCR123 with a recessed mounted reverse clicky so it cannot turn on in my pocket and will tail-stand when needed for that. Sometimes I carry Q-AA running on AW 14500 li-ion with a protruding button forward clicky for momentary/tactical use. Sometimes, I also run a Q-AA head on the larger (2-cell size) Quark body... powered by a single AW 17670 li-ion. Fantastic run time with that. Are Quarks "PERFECT" lights? Of course not. There isn't a perfect light out there. But they come fairly close. I agree that Surefires are great lights, but honestly, I don't use mine because I prefer greater versatility in output levels and in powering options. They are good lights to have, though.

Since you were specific in stating that you would like to spend in the $50-$70 range for the light... this is just another option to consider. A Quark AA with two tailcaps (reverse clicky tailcap and protruding button forward clicky/momentary tailcap), a couple of AW 14500 li-ion cells (and some Lithium L91 primaries in the fridge for long term back-up) and a charger and you are rockin'!

I just realized you said you had a Q123... so for another $20 get the AA body and there ya go! If you might also want to buy a tactical (forward clicky/momentary) tailcap... you might as well buy another complete flashlight than just the AA body and a tactical switch, as it's not that much more money and you'll have two complete Quark lights.

Last edited:

lovenhim

Enlightened
You've been given a lot of good suggestions on Surefire models, which are well made lights. So I'll offer a different perspective. I started with SF lights (Z2 Combat and E2e) and while I really liked them, as I got more into lights I wanted more versatility in output levels, the safety of using single-cell powering, and ability to run on Li-Ion (rechargeable lithium-ion cells). Which led me to look beyond Surefire offerings.

My thinking is, rather than focus on buying a particular brand name, focus on applications and features. I've got a number of great Surefires (Z2, E2, E1B, L1, E1e, P60 - some of which I am using with aftermarket LED lamp modules and li-ion powering). But I found that none of them offered the versatility that I desired, which was multi level output (a high MAX, bright and long-running mid levels, and verrry squeeky low low low) combined with versatile single-cell powering in the most commonly found battery size one can think of, and the ability to do this running anything from a single-cell Li-ion (my 1st choice of powering) to a lithium primary, a NiHM AA-size rechargeable, an Eneloop, and if desperate and in a locale where this is all that's available... your basic, ubiquitous AA alkaline.

Enter the Quark AA. Ideal carry size (not too small, not too big), ideal and amazing powering options/flexibility, output from very high to a tiny squeeky moonmode, forward clicky when you want it, reverse clicky when you want that, variety of output tints available, offered by a solid company with excellent customer service and long warranty. If I could only have 1 light, it would be a Quark AA. One may well find oneself in a time and place where the only batteries you may find for a small flashlight would be AA alkaline. And this light will run them well!

Add to that the ability to "lego" Quark bodies, tailcaps/switches, and heads into an amazing number of possibilities... reverse clicky switches, tailstanding switches, protruding button forward clicky switches, cool white, neutral white, warm white emitter options, yada, yada, yada. You can set up a Quark to meet an amazing variety of needs. And priced right!

Now, I've got Quark bodies, tailcaps, and heads of every size and type and can make up about any configuration I desire for whatever purpose or powering option I might need. My EDC now is either a Q123 running on AW RCR123 with a recessed mounted reverse clicky so it cannot turn on in my pocket and will tail-stand when needed for that. Sometimes I carry Q-AA running on AW 14500 li-ion with a protruding button forward clicky for momentary/tactical use. Sometimes, I also run a Q-AA head on the larger (2-cell size) Quark body... powered by a single AW 17670 li-ion. Fantastic run time with that. Are Quarks "PERFECT" lights? Of course not. There isn't a perfect light out there. But they come fairly close. I agree that Surefires are great lights, but honestly, I don't use mine because I prefer greater versatility in output levels and in powering options. They are good lights to have, though.

Since you were specific in stating that you would like to spend in the $50-$70 range for the light... this is just another option to consider. A Quark AA with two tailcaps (reverse clicky tailcap and protruding button forward clicky/momentary tailcap), a couple of AW 14500 li-ion cells (and some Lithium L91 primaries in the fridge for long term back-up) and a charger and you are rockin'!

I just realized you said you had a Q123... so for another $20 get the AA body and there ya go! If you might also want to buy a tactical (forward clicky/momentary) tailcap... you might as well buy another complete flashlight than just the AA body and a tactical switch, as it's not that much more money and you'll have two complete Quark lights.

Great idea. I keep thinking about SF lights just not being able to do what I want. I do own a Quark 123 regular and I am starting to see from your post the versatility of having lights from the same company and family. I like this option very much. If I want a warm tint, then just buy the head. I think I will go the Quark route as that family of lights seems to fit what I need for day in and day out use. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

cm_mtb

Enlightened
Great idea. I keep thinking about SF lights just not being able to do what I want. I do own a Quark 123 regular and I am starting to see from your post the versatility of having lights from the same company and family. I like this option very much. If I want a warm tint, then just buy the head. I think I will go the Quark route as that family of lights seems to fit what I need for day in and day out use. Thanks to everyone for all the help.

Now that you seem to have decided, there is an L1 in the MP for $70+$10 shipping. :naughty:

AVR Mark

Newly Enlightened
I will have had my L1 (Cree) for three years as of this December. This has been my every day carry for that time. It has 10 Lumens on low and 65 Lumens on high. It seems to fit every need perfectly. It is getting a bit banged up but still works great. I have other lights that I use that are brighter but I still like the L1 the best for every day carry.

Mark

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
The L1 is a beautiful and wonderfully made light for sure. And the switch design is arguably the most reliable over the long haul. But the UI is not for everyone. And the high is less high than some would prefer... as well, the low is not as low as some would prefer. I've always liked mine, but again it gets about no use because, for me, I've just never quite warmed up to the extra effort beyond pushing for momentary to then having to twist for steady... seems I always have something else in my other hand making the twisting to go from momentary to continuous just a little less quick and easy than just clicking with the same thumb used for momentary. And then there's twisting again to change levels. And twisting again to turn off. I'm sure that with enough practice, one can become fairly adept at doing so one-handed, but still, for most people it is perhaps just a little too cumbersome compared to other designs.

One hand clicking for both momentary and constant-on is faster, easier, and more convenient. And that's why there are so few lights being made with the L1 interface.

Of course for those who do prefer that interface (and I know some people really do)... you can still get it with the L1. But I suspect that most folks tend to prefer the momentary/clicky for convenience.

Last edited:

GeetarHero

Newly Enlightened
Sorry if someone already posted this but have U checked the "list of Craig" ? Some dude was selling a (new in the package) Surefire 6p LED for $50. I was surprised but most people don't care for "expensive" flashlights, only the awesome members of this great forum. Also saw a used Fenix TK10 for $40. There are good deals out there, U just have to look. :) good luck!

qandeel

Newly Enlightened

My thinking is, rather than focus on buying a particular brand name, focus on applications and features. I've got a number of great Surefires (Z2, E2, E1B, L1, E1e, P60 - some of which I am using with aftermarket LED lamp modules and li-ion powering). But I found that none of them offered the versatility that I desired, which was multi level output (a high MAX, bright and long-running mid levels, and verrry squeeky low low low) combined with versatile single-cell powering in the most commonly found battery size one can think of, and the ability to do this running anything from a single-cell Li-ion (my 1st choice of powering) to a lithium primary, a NiHM AA-size rechargeable, an Eneloop, and if desperate and in a locale where this is all that's available... your basic, ubiquitous AA alkaline.

Enter the Quark AA. Ideal carry size (not too small, not too big), ideal and amazing powering options/flexibility, output from very high to a tiny squeeky moonmode, beautiful, clean artifact-free beam, forward clicky when you want it, reverse clicky when you want that, variety of output tints available, offered by a solid company with excellent customer service and long warranty. If I could only have 1 light, it would be a Quark AA. One may well find oneself in a time and place where the only batteries you may find for a small flashlight would be AA alkaline. And this light will run them well!

Waaaaaaw what a comprehensive and well structured reply. Very informative post.

Ny0ng1

Enlightened
my SureFire L1 cree has been used for 2+ years now almost everyday and it has never failed on me.
Just try to post WTB: SureFire L1 cree in marketplace for $80 shipped and i think you would get one with little problem :)

Hans

Enlightened
Now it does not have to be a Surefire brand, I just understand from what I read here that that brand is one of the best you can get and also has a bit of controversy attached to it.

If it doesn't have to be a Surefire, I'd go for a HDS Executive. At 99 bucks these are great value and IMHO somewhat more versatile than the Surefires.

Another plus is that if you like it you may not feel such an irrepressible need to buy more lights ... :D