All about information. IMALENT and NITECORE. Moving us into the future.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
All about knowledge. Information. My Thrunites...nice blue light in the switch to let me know I'm good...but wait. Not really. Might be good for the next minute or two then...maybe red. Your about out. But, using a...Imalent DN 70 for example...you know exactly how you stand. How many volts remaining. So no surprises on that tactical mission to save the queen. Or, in real life...the tactical mission involving getting the garbage can out to the curb or collecting the mail. You know when you toss it in your bag heading out on that camping trip that your not just good for the moment, but for a long time.

I think information displays are the way of the future. If you agree, make a comment. If you disagree...say why.

IMG_4277.jpg

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore flashlights with the volt flash, pause then tenths volts, works well enough. It has been accurate.

The four flashes is full, three flashes more than 50% and so on, is significantly less desirable but OK.

The Oveready system has been perfect (with tenths flashes)

The Emisar D4S in my possession is always a little off, a little lower than reality usually. (with tenths flashes)

The Nitecore TM26 I had and the TM36 I still have is fun but the readout is not mandatory for our uses. Seeing the battery sag under use is interesting. But it is something else that could fail, and us older folks need reading glasses to see the tiny display.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore flashlights with the volt flash, pause then tenths volts, works well enough. It has been accurate.

The four flashes is full, three flashes more than 50% and so on, is significantly less desirable but OK.

The Oveready system has been perfect (with tenths flashes)

The Emisar D4S in my possession is always a little off, a little lower than reality usually. (with tenths flashes)

The Nitecore TM26 I had and the TM36 I still have is fun but the readout is not mandatory for our uses. Seeing the battery sag under use is interesting. But it is something else that could fail, and us older folks need reading glasses to see the tiny display.

Agree the flashing is an alternative. But way prefer a quick N easy readout. Way cooler too.

Horse_and_buggy_1910.jpg

aventador-s-design-left.jpg

Soverign

Newly Enlightened
Love the digital voltage read out on my Imalents. I dont like the hard to find buttons on the DN35/70. And why no lanyard attachment on almost all their lights?

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree the flashing is an alternative. But way prefer a quick N easy readout. Way cooler too.

I have lights that do the 1-4 flash thing, ones that have an indicator (blue/red) led, and ones that flash out the exact voltage. While the latter is great for nerds like me, it's almost useless for the vast majority of people that have no idea what voltage is high and what voltage is low. So, I think the indicator LED is the most useful for most people. Most people know "red = bad", and know it's time to charge the batteries. The 1-4 flash is okay, but most people won't bother to check.

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have lights that do the 1-4 flash thing, ones that have an indicator (blue/red) led, and ones that flash out the exact voltage. While the latter is great for nerds like me, it's almost useless for the vast majority of people that have no idea what voltage is high and what voltage is low. So, I think the indicator LED is the most useful for most people. Most people know "red = bad", and know it's time to charge the batteries. The 1-4 flash is okay, but most people won't bother to check.

Very true. Guess I'm thinking more for us flashaholics here.

chris malcolm

Newly Enlightened
Love the digital voltage read out on my Imalents. I dont like the hard to find buttons on the DN35/70. And why no lanyard attachment on almost all their lights?

Definitely agree about the digital voltage read out. Saves me having to unscrew the torch to get the battery out in order to check the voltage.

I too find the hard to find buttons on the DN70 annoying, or I did until I decided to fit the lanyard supplied with the latest DN70 which has a black bottom (rather than blue) with a lanyard hole drilled in it. I discovered that I can use the lanyard hole to quickly orient the DN70 in my hand -- I just pull on the lanyard and swing it round to the right position in my hand. Voila, my thumb is now poised right over the buttons! Two birds killed with one lanyard! :)

KuroNekko

Newly Enlightened

Yeah, displays are nice, but the flashing system by Nitecore can be implemented on just about any of their models, including pocket-sized EDCs. My Nitecore EA11, a AA-sized compact flashlight, has this system built in which is great for monitoring the IMR 14500 batteries this thing can use. But for larger multi-18650 or 22650 flashlights, yes, a display read-out is the way to go about it.

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is interesting, but have never felt it was of much value to my usage personally. Just more weight, size and something else to break or go wrong with it.

ArazelEternal

Newly Enlightened
I think it is interesting, but have never felt it was of much value to my usage personally. Just more weight, size and something else to break or go wrong with it.
Agreed about the more to break/go wrong. That is why I dont buy and carry lights that have focusing heads on them. IMHO, that is useless in just about every case and just adds more to break. The voltage display system on the Nitecores, like the P12GT, is great. The initial flashes indicate whole volts, then the second series of flashes indicate the tenths of a volt using a little blue LED under the mode switch. My only gripe is it seems to be a little inaccurate in the sense that they seem to set it up so it rounds the voltage up. I was curious so I tested the battery in my light with the indicator, then a Fluke 115 DMM. The indicator in the light signified 3.7 volts while the DMM showed 3.67 volts. If anything, I would much rather have the indicator in the light round down to 3.6 than up to 3.7. Would rather change the battery out sooner than needed than later.