All those "High CRI" threads over there in the LED forum..........

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can you name an LED that can operate in the full spectrum of light that incandescents produce?

I'll accept that the point of your original post was to poke fun at LED's imitating what incandescents always had, and I smiled at it, but since the point of CRI isn't actually a perfect Gaussian spectral graph, but rather to see better, twistedraven does have a relevant point when he asks about blue socks versus black socks.

I've tried dressing by Maglite before, and that's a place where I have a bit of trouble. Flip the switch to turn on the overhead lights and it's not generally a problem - more lumens gets the overall blue output high enough to discriminate black from dark blue, but not as easily as a higher color temperature does. For as much as I still like warmth of a halogen light, there's a practical ceiling to incandescent temperatures.

trananh

Newly Enlightened
Incandescents produces full visible light spectrum, white leds also produce full visible light spectrum, the difference is how different wavelengths are distributed, each source of light produces different type of full spectrum. So nothing is perfect light, it depends on the definition of what is a perfect light source. in my opinion, incandescent is not perfect because it produces too much red light

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I prefer hot wire light fixtures in my home because the color rendition is obviously superior to *most* of the commercially available LED replacements. Incandescent lights render color beautifully, but they come into their own at higher output levels. By comparison, a lower powered incandescent flashlight, in my opinion, casts an orange hue, which skews my real world perception of certain colors. I find that this is easily remedied with an LED at a higher CCT, especially if the CRI is above 90.

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic
I was always impressed with the incandescent GE Reveal bulbs for years. Then I tried the LED counterpart and I'm still just as happy. The output is a little weak, but you can pay up and get the 75 or 100w equivalent.

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put a Yuji in several Mini Maglite 2xAAA flashlights. The output is the same ~9 lumens. The durability, longevity and run time of the Yuji 5mm LED is exponentially better than the filament bulb. More importantly, the Yuji is so close to the incan bulb with tint and color rendition it is surprising.

Lumen83

Enlightened
I'm going to admit the short comings of my technical knowledge up front. And, I typically prefer Incandescent bulbs to LEDs. But, last night I noticed something that took me by suprise. Typically, I notice that even the best LEDs in terms of tint and CRI that I own do not seem to render color as well as my closest to neutral tint incans. But, I was looking at one of my flower beds last night and the overall bed looked much better under incandescent light. However, when I got up close to examine one particular allium, I noticed that under the High CRI Neutral LED, the purple colors were much more vivid and pronounced compared to the green on the stem. Whereas the warm tint of the incan seemed to add too much of its own tint to the flower which left the contrast less pronounced. I was really surprised by this. Again, not a technical guy here. But, I saw what I saw.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Glad to see there are still some of us that still enjoy and utilize Incandescent lighting. It almost seems to me as if there has been a sort of resurgence in the world of incandescent flashlights here amongst us flashaholics in recent years. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

When I look at the light glow from a hot filament burning, the warm of it's light, and the relaxing feeling it brings, sometimes I almost wonder if it is something primitive that is being triggered within our DNA. Maybe I'm just crazy :)

On to something else, can anyone explain this. I have noticed that in very heavy fog, or rainfall, incandescent beams seem to cut through it much better than an LED. Most LED's I've used, it's almost as if the light is being reflected back at you. Is there a scientific explanation for this?

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
\

Hm, I should try one.

You'll be one of the first to put a violet pump Yuji into a flashlight then :) I have only seen tests made with some of the VTC but no serious mods.

Last edited:

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see there are still some of us that still enjoy and utilize Incandescent lighting. It almost seems to me as if there has been a sort of resurgence in the world of incandescent flashlights here amongst us flashaholics in recent years. Maybe that's just wishful thinking.

When I look at the light glow from a hot filament burning, the warm of it's light, and the relaxing feeling it brings, sometimes I almost wonder if it is something primitive that is being triggered within our DNA. Maybe I'm just crazy :)

On to something else, can anyone explain this. I have noticed that in very heavy fog, or rainfall, incandescent beams seem to cut through it much better than an LED. Most LED's I've used, it's almost as if the light is being reflected back at you. Is there a scientific explanation for this?

You're not alone in incan world. I just switched back from LED's...
Regarding LED and fog i've noticed the same thing. I think it's related with wavelength, not sure. But when i see french still use yellow headlights (real yellow, not yellowish or smtg) and in fog they see clear then i'm sure it has something with wavelength xmitted.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast

Rayleigh scattering.

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is this something that LED's can ever overcome?

Yes, it's mostly just an issue of predominant blue spikes in LEDs. Warm LEDs tend to have less of a blue spike, and violet pumped LEDs that are warm tinted have spectral balances that are very close to incandescents-- they won't get affected by such scattering.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
... However, when I got up close to examine one particular allium, I noticed that under the High CRI Neutral LED, the purple colors were much more vivid and pronounced compared to the green on the stem. Whereas the warm tint of the incan seemed to add too much of its own tint to the flower which left the contrast less pronounced. I was really surprised by this. Again, not a technical guy here. But, I saw what I saw.

That's exactly what I meant about the incandescent light casting an orange hue.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
But when i see french still use yellow headlights (real yellow, not yellowish or smtg) and in fog they see clear then i'm sure it has something with wavelength xmitted.
The requirement for selective yellow headlamps in France was eliminated in '93; not many cars left that still have them.

No visible light "cuts through fog". This is one of the most persistent myths ever, right up there with golf balls containing a deadly poison and Dr. Pepper being made from prune juice.

Rayleigh scattering.
Rayleigh scattering has nothing to do with it since that requires particles to be equal in size to, or smaller than, the wavelength of the light. Fog and rain droplets are far, far too large for Rayleigh scattering to occur.

Last edited:

twistedraven

Flashlight Enthusiast
The requirement for selective yellow headlamps in France was eliminated in '93; not many cars left that still have them.

No visible light "cuts through fog". This is one of the most persistent myths ever, right up there with golf balls containing a deadly poison and Dr. Pepper being made from prune juice.

Rayleigh scattering has nothing to do with it since that requires particles to be equal in size to, or smaller than, the wavelength of the light. Fog and rain droplets are far, far too large for Rayleigh scattering to occur.

Okay, specfically rayleigh scattering or not, the shorter wavelengths scatter more from the particles and moisture in the air than the longer wavelengths.

Alaric Darconville

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, specfically rayleigh scattering or not, the shorter wavelengths scatter more from the particles and moisture in the air than the longer wavelengths.
Not to any extent that causes us any problems. All the wavelengths will scatter (asymptotically to) equally, and will be reflected around and back to our eyes equally. It's what our eyes themselves do with light tending towards blue that is the problem.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was always impressed with the incandescent GE Reveal bulbs for years. Then I tried the LED counterpart and I'm still just as happy. The output is a little weak, but you can pay up and get the 75 or 100w equivalent.

I honestly think those are terrible bulbs. They are filtered towards blue to have output closer to a typical LED.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
In the 80's I used to wonder why speaker companies touted abilities to produce frequencies way above and below my range of hearing. SPL's (sound pressure levels) mattered more to me. My ears heard what they heard.

Same with flashlights these days. Charts n graphs tell one story that eyes don't see. Tint matters more to me.