All those "High CRI" threads over there in the LED forum..........

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dilly Dilly!

edit: I'm dillying this post because that's how I see it. Sometimes things are quite close and I lean towards convenience. I LOVE film photography, but the time invested and costs involved arent things I can keep up with right now. So I try to mimic it best I can with digital. Same with flashlights. An E1E looks like the coolest light ever, but I'm sure I'd get tired of buying batteries and bulbs for it. QUOTE=LeanBurn;5209798]I put a Yuji in several Mini Maglite 2xAAA flashlights. The output is the same ~9 lumens. The durability, longevity and run time of the Yuji 5mm LED is exponentially better than the filament bulb. More importantly, the Yuji is so close to the incan bulb with tint and color rendition it is surprising.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the same vein, it'd be cool do the Pepsi challenge between an Incan and say a warm yuji to see if people could tell the difference reliably. I've The seen the same done with film v digital photography.

id30209

Flashlight Enthusiast
In the 80's I used to wonder why speaker companies touted abilities to produce frequencies way above and below my range of hearing. SPL's (sound pressure levels) mattered more to me. My ears heard what they heard.

Same with flashlights these days. Charts n graphs tell one story that eyes don't see. Tint matters more to me.

True words...

ma tumba

Flashlight Enthusiast
All those "High CRI" threads over there in the LED forum..........

In the 80's I used to wonder why speaker companies touted abilities to produce frequencies way above and below my range of hearing. SPL's (sound pressure levels) mattered more to me. My ears heard what they heard.

Same with flashlights these days. Charts n graphs tell one story that eyes don't see. Tint matters more to me.

I think, in part, because people are different. I know some, extremely sensitive to ultra low sounds and I personally heard well above 20khz when I was young. Same for colors, you always have those 1-10% that just see the difference.

Btw, I was amazed to the the difference in color rendering, provided by the new Optisolii just because the blue peak was shifted to the violet. And I dont see any special tint on white wall

Last edited:

night.hoodie

Enlightened
but you don't see color critical workplaces running incandescents. Hell, most don't even run violet LEDs, because a standard 85-90 CRI 4000k fluorescent tube is more than enough.

This statement is patently false at worst, wishful exaggeration at best, unless you are being extraordinarily loose with the definition of "color critical workplaces." I worked in color prepress for 20 years, never saw an LED in the color shop, and when push comes to shove, the preferred favorite light for proofing was the largest incandescent in the neighborhood, i.e. the Sun. You can't proof color with 85-90CRI, not accurately. We used fluorescents sometimes, but not for critical color work, but halogen instead.

night.hoodie

Enlightened

Presumably, hypersonics and harmonics above human range of hearing can have an effect on the frequencies we can hear, but much depends on the room. The sound sources being recorded and reproduced, such as cymbals, have hypersonics, so to faithfully duplicate them, they should be included in the recording and reproduction. That's one of the theories, anyway. I think another theory for this ability is metaphorically similar to why speedometers in many cars have a higher gauge top speed than the fastest speed that car will ever go, or metaphorically why certain materials are chosen in engineering that vastly are above and beyond the needed specification for the application.

Last edited:

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The best source of light that we have all evolved under to see things is the sun. The closer any light source comes to replicating that, the better we can see things.

Our sun is orange looking through the filter of our mostly nitrogen (blue) and oxygen (green) atmosphere, the majority of its light output is green, and we are most visually sensitive to this color.

A well driven incan, and many HID lights still seem to reproduce color and details more than even the best phosphor coated HCRI led's. I believe this is a combination of the larger surface area of the LED emitter, and the blue spectrum that most light emitting diodes produce by default. I believe things will continue to get better, but right now LED's only win in efficiency. Which they always did from the beginning.

I've always referred to an LED light source as one that "spreads shadows". You can't tell what is going on as well because the light is confusing the matter of what you are looking at.

Last edited:

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've always referred to an LED light source as one that "spreads shadows". You can't tell what is going on as well because the light is confusing the matter of what you are looking at.

I held a similar opinion of LED's when they were first used in flashlights, but I don't find this to be true anymore. Even the "bad" ones are pretty decent now.