American horsepower - .454, .460 or .500?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I watched a few videos of the 50cal Desert Gold Eagle.. quite a beautiful weapon!
I'm not that massive of a man and I got a hunch I wouldn't appreciate the recoil.
I"ve read the .454 is much kinder.

Is there a high caliber pistol you guys would recommend?
The Desert Eagle is incredibly soft in recoil and the .454 is exactly the opposite. My Ruger Super Redhawk feels very mild after shooting the Freedom Arms .454 Casull and although I was quite happy with the .454, the S&W .460 is by all first hand accounts I've heard softer than both the the .454 and the S&W .500, while outperforming the .454 which was previously unthinkable.

I hope we'll get some feedback from someone who has all three calibers and can give a direct comparison between them.

tlillard23

Newly Enlightened
all of the paper targets, cans and chunks of dirt that I have shot - have never - ever- ever gotten back up!!!!

go chairborne somewhere else
:thumbsdow

Patriot

Flashaholic
^ Is that a serious post above me? I don't get it unless he's was replying to someone that I missed. :thinking:

I think all of them or great calibers in their own right and there is no "best." Each has attributes that make it special. The title goes to the .500 for energy, to the .460 for projectile speed and cartridge flexibility since it also fires .454 and .45 long colt, and to the .454 for its standardization and fine track record. My own personal favorite of these having shot all, the .460. It's new, fast and can fire .454. While I'd probably prefer the .500 for buffalo or in Africa I'm not in Africa and all of these have fantastic amounts of energy.

I like the .50AE but I've never been a fan of the Desert Eagle. For me it doesn't fit a role that another pistol can't do better. It feels massive and clumsy unlike some large caliber wheel guns that still feel elegant. That's just the nature of stacking a row of huge cartridges inside of a magazine, inside of a pistol grip, instead of a cylinder. There's just no way around the physics there.

What's not to like about .44 mag, its amazing history, it's practical capabilities in the wilderness or as a self defense round? It's following is huge and it's still the lower standard by which all other defensive hand gun calibers are judged. The NIJ uses it as their upper reference for handgun energy when rating body armor, which speaks of it's commonality. While many will never shoot a .500 or even want to, many aspire to fire a .44 mag, even as just a novelty. I get many shooters from oversea's who wan't to do two things, shoot a machine gun and a .44 mag. While the machine gun is usually feasible depending on the type, the .44 mag often isn't if they have zero handgun experience. It just doesn't work. :duck:

As for the pistols chambered in rifle rounds, sure, you can always move up to customs and even move on to wildcat rounds in custom guns like the JDJ's and so on. The nice thing about the thread topic calibers is that there are a fairly large selection of factory firearms to support the calibers.

Fun thread!

Last edited:

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now I'm really confused!

I"m not sure going by what many people like or want to do will be accurate for me as guns build a legacy, are in the movies, and have a reputation that may be superceeded by newer technology thats not as well known yet.

I'm hearing the Desert Eagle is smoother with less recoil but more foot/lbs of energy?... is that the right story?

I do enjoy flexibility of what you can shoot in ammo but I've never been a pistol shooter... only rifles.

If I'm going with a large caliber, and be an infrequent shooter, I don't want it to be like bowling where you torque your wrist out because its not in shape.

There must be a reason the Desert eagle can demand a price of 1600 - 1800.00.

The ideal of owning and shooting a .50 cal pistol is obviously romantic "in a man sort of way" but I expect if it kills my hand everytime I try to play with it, I'll end up selling it as a loss.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Those of us who want to do recreational shooting will seldom take their 44 mag out with full power loads, and shoot several hundred rounds. Even that lower end high power handgun caliber can put a strain on our bodies, particularly if it is fired in swing out cylinder wheel gun. When I reloaded for my Ruger Super Blackhawk, I would often load to 1100 fps or so for the 240-250 Keith style lead bullet, and still have a relatively powerful load.

Bill

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Those of us who want to do recreational shooting will seldom take their 44 mag out with full power loads, and shoot several hundred rounds. Even that lower end high power handgun caliber can put a strain on our bodies, particularly if it is fired in swing out cylinder wheel gun. When I reloaded for my Ruger Super Blackhawk, I would often load to 1100 fps or so for the 240-250 Keith style lead bullet, and still have a relatively powerful load.
I used to reload lots of reduced loads back when I had more free time, but if I need to pick up some inexpensive practice (low-power) loads for the .454, there is lots of 'cowboy' :shakehead loads in .45 Colt - a very inexpensive and convenient option. This is one of the two big reasons I retired my .44 Mag for the .454.

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
I believe the only person whos hand comfortablly fits the 50AE would be Andre the Giant...what about the .41,would it compete in your comparison.
I've shot a super redhawk in a .44 mag but not a .454(beauty with the leopold)or any other of the cal. discussed...Fairly simular,correct?

And to have a .444 in a handgun(simmular to a thompson contender I guess)WOW...if it's the same round as a rifle sports...is that correct?

Thanks guys great thread...Here's a question for the bear country guys...would a .357 with a hot load be a fools weapon in against a bear?I don't want to pull away for the original thread ...but sometimes you just got to here it from someone thats been there...again,great thread

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I believe the only person whos hand comfortablly fits the 50AE would be Andre the Giant...what about the .41,would it compete in your comparison.
I've shot a super redhawk in a .44 mag but not a .454(beauty with the leopold)or any other of the cal. discussed...Fairly simular,correct?

And to have a .444 in a handgun(simmular to a thompson contender I guess)WOW...if it's the same round as a rifle sports...is that correct?

Thanks guys great thread...Here's a question for the bear country guys...would a .357 with a hot load be a fools weapon in against a bear?I don't want to pull away for the original thread ...but sometimes you just got to here it from someone thats been there...again,great thread
That made me laugh about Andre the Giant, because it's true; those things are huge, but also very comfortable to shoot.

Shooting a Super Redhawk .44 Mag and comparing it to the .454 would be a very far, far stretch! The .44 will feel very soft after you've grown accustomed to the .454!

Using .357 for bear protection would be dependent largely on what kind of bear, or more precisely, where you are. Although .357 is probably okay for most black bear country, I wouldn't want to depend on it if I went to Prince of Wales Island, where many of the blacks are bigger than some grizzlies. For other bears it would most definitely be good to have something bigger!
The couple times I've drawn a handgun on a bear I was happy to have had a .44 or .454!

Patriot

Flashaholic

It's not that it's foolish Ninjaz but there are better choices starting with the additional energy provided by the popular .44 mag. It has been a mainstay sidearm caliber in the Alaskan back county for decades.

Kestrel
I used to reload lots of reduced loads back when I had more free time, but if I need to pick up some inexpensive practice (low-power) loads for the .454, there is lots of 'cowboy' :shakehead loads in .45 Colt - a very inexpensive and convenient option. This is one of the two big reasons I retired my .44 Mag for the .454.
...and that's a great call on your part Kestrel. The main difference between the .45 LC and .454 as compared to the 44 mag is double action revolver choices. With the .44 mag, choices are abundant. With the .45LC and .454 they're not and the shooter will be limited to mostly single action. If single action is all one needs or wants the .45s make great sense.

Windy
Now I'm really confused!

I'm hearing the Desert Eagle is smoother with less recoil but more foot/lbs of energy?... is that the right story?

I do enjoy flexibility of what you can shoot in ammo but I've never been a pistol shooter... only rifles.

If I'm going with a large caliber, and be an infrequent shooter, I don't want it to be like bowling where you torque your wrist out because its not in shape.

There must be a reason the Desert eagle can demand a price of 1600 - 1800.00.

The ideal of owning and shooting a .50 cal pistol is obviously romantic "in a man sort of way" but I expect if it kills my hand everytime I try to play with it, I'll end up selling it as a loss.
Windy, if we're talking about factory loads the .454 produces a good deal more energy than the .50AE.
Typical 454 = 260 gr @ 1800 fps = 1811 fpe
Typical 50 = 300 gr @ 1380 fps = 1228 fpe

Even with similar projectile weights of 325 vs 330 there's a good separation of 200+ feet per second which is substantial. .454 was designed to handle 55-65K cup while the .50AE is around 45K cup, (pressures) iirc.

Essentially, they're incomparable because they're so different. The .50AE is the auto caliber king and that's it's main "bragging point" you could say. The .454 revolver is actually practical, carry-able and completely at home in the field. For every 100 people carrying a .454 revolver in the field or shooting recreationally, there might be only one person carrying/using a DE. Price has absolutely nothing to do with which is better, more powerful or smoother because that's decided by complexity of design and manufacturing. Yes, the .50AE will have less recoil, but that's due to the simple fact that it's a gas-operated semi-auto and because factory loads are somewhat less energetic. Going the route of the DE .50AE also carries with it certain handicaps though such as comfort, ergonomics, complexity, reliability, and field applicability.

The romanticism of the .50 cal is probably also overstated since all it means is that the bore is a half inch in diameter. In other words, you can have a .50cal blowgun, paintball gun, musket, .500S&W or .50BMG. All are completely different and the term .50 cal is only going to be impressive to the layman that heard of the term in a movie.

If you're trying to decide on something like this for yourself you'll have to ask yourself other questions like; how often are you going to fire it, are you going to start reloading, will this be a novelty or fulfill some practical application, and what's the largest full load handgun caliber that you've fired so far and how does it compare in energy to the ones listed above? The reason that I ask is that most people, even dedicated hand gunners find the recoil of a maximum loaded .44mag quite punishing. It's no slouch at all.

I'll be working on some videos in the next few weeks where I shoot all three of these calibers for you so that you can see the comparison. :) The only hard thing is sourcing full power .500S&W since I don't have any immediate access to any.

Last edited:

QtrHorse

Flashlight Enthusiast
For me, my .44Mag is much more punishing to my hand than a .50 DE. Now the .454 was just not for me in a short revolver. It was brutal to my hand. It was not even fun to shoot at all.

My .45LC seems to have half the recoil that my .44Mag has even though the .45LC has a shorter barrel.

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
For me, my .44Mag is much more punishing to my hand than a .50 DE. Now the .454 was just not for me in a short revolver. It was brutal to my hand. It was not even fun to shoot at all.

My .45LC seems to have half the recoil that my .44Mag has even though the .45LC has a shorter barrel.

Shooting comparable power loads to the 44Mag in the 45LC?

Bill

LumenMan

Enlightened

The .50 DE is much more pleasant to shoot since the gas system & the sheer weight of the weapon helps to minimize recoil :poof:

I love my .454 & my .500 S&W, but there's something about the looks of my vintage S&W model 29 that makes me go :faint: Stoked with Buffalo Bore ammunition, Elmer Keiths favorite handgun caliber is still a potent beast :devil:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I think all of them or great calibers in their own right and there is no "best." Each has attributes that make it special. The title goes to the .500 for energy, to the .460 for projectile speed and cartridge flexibility since it also fires .454 and .45 long colt, and to the .454 for its standardization and fine track record. My own personal favorite of these having shot all, the .460. It's new, fast and can fire .454. While I'd probably prefer the .500 for buffalo or in Africa I'm not in Africa and all of these have fantastic amounts of energy.

I like the .50AE but I've never been a fan of the Desert Eagle. For me it doesn't fit a role that another pistol can't do better. It feels massive and clumsy unlike some large caliber wheel guns that still feel elegant. That's just the nature of stacking a row of huge cartridges inside of a magazine, inside of a pistol grip, instead of a cylinder. There's just no way around the physics there.

What's not to like about .44 mag, its amazing history, it's practical capabilities in the wilderness or as a self defense round? It's following is huge and it's still the lower standard by which all other defensive hand gun calibers are judged. The NIJ uses it as their upper reference for handgun energy when rating body armor, which speaks of it's commonality. While many will never shoot a .500 or even want to, many aspire to fire a .44 mag, even as just a novelty. I get many shooters from oversea's who wan't to do two things, shoot a machine gun and a .44 mag. While the machine gun is usually feasible depending on the type, the .44 mag often isn't if they have zero handgun experience. It just doesn't work. :duck:

As for the pistols chambered in rifle rounds, sure, you can always move up to customs and even move on to wildcat rounds in custom guns like the JDJ's and so on. The nice thing about the thread topic calibers is that there are a fairly large selection of factory firearms to support the calibers.

Fun thread!

It's not that it's foolish Ninjaz but there are better choices starting with the additional energy provided by the popular .44 mag. It has been a mainstay sidearm caliber in the Alaskan back county for decades.

The romanticism of the .50 cal is probably also overstated since all it means is that the bore is a half inch in diameter. In other words, you can have a .50cal blowgun, paintball gun, musket, .500S&W or .50BMG. All are completely different and the term .50 cal is only going to be impressive to the layman that heard of the term in a movie.

If you're trying to decide on something like this for yourself you'll have to ask yourself other questions like; how often are you going to fire it, are you going to start reloading, will this be a novelty or fulfill some practical application, and what's the largest full load handgun caliber that you've fired so far and how does it compare in energy to the ones listed above? The reason that I ask is that most people, even dedicated hand gunners find the recoil of a maximum loaded .44mag quite punishing. It's no slouch at all.

I'll be working on some videos in the next few weeks where I shoot all three of these calibers for you so that you can see the comparison. :) The only hard thing is sourcing full power .500S&W since I don't have any immediate access to any.
Patriot, as usual your posts are excellent! The best of this thread so far and I finally got to hear from someone who had shot all of them! Keep up the great work as this is the kind of stuff I was really hoping to see here!

C.F.Burgess Battery

Newly Enlightened
Not much of a Hand Cannon fan ... the good ol' .45Auto is my fav ...

And my .45 SAA Colt wheelgun is pretty sweet ....

I do love my AR15 .458 SOCOM though !!
I guess I could build a .458 SOCOM AR15 pistol , though ... hmmmm...

Last edited:

Ninjaz7

Enlightened
Great input guys...so the 454 would be the least impact to the hands...and the least powerful weapon to trust against a black bear(yes,they can get mean without a killing shot)would probably be a .44 Mag. :popcorn:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I didn't even know it existed, but at $16,000 it wouldn't have made this list of readily available calibers. Sorry...
Not much of a Hand Cannon fan ... the good ol' .45Auto is my fav ...

And my .45 SAA Colt wheelgun is pretty sweet ....
Completely different purposes, but yes, pretty popular.
Great input guys...so the 454 would be the least impact to the hands...and the least powerful weapon to trust against a black bear(yes,they can get mean without a killing shot)would probably be a .44 Mag. :popcorn:
The .454 is very stiff, and to some severe even, but not so that you can't get accustomed to it. For black bear .357 isn't out of the question, but the .44 gives a greater degree of safety, provided you do your part concerning placement. Everything I've heard suggests that the .460 is going to be more manageable, while providing much greater impact. Did you read Patriot's posts above. I really want a .460 but am also pretty happy with my .44 Super Redhawk.

Last edited:

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast

.50 DE? Never heard of it... .50 AE sounds cool though! :crackup:J/K I make that mistake all the time. People on this thread keep calling it that... The biggest round I've shot is a .44 magnum, boy, you really can't limp-wrist that stuff! I still have to try anything above that, you guys make it sound like everyday ammunition!

will

windstrings

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, all this changes perspective.. I don't own enough guns "especially pistols" to buy something I really can't use because its too punishing.

I wasn't aware the tragectory was so poor on the DE and the fps ratings were so low.

sounds great for hammering something up close but I'm not fond of blunted bullets for close in but rather like bullets that reach out.

Which would you guys recommend for a flat trajectory that has power but not so much that it get uncomfortable?

I know that varies as some guns are smoother and kinder than others yet perform as good or better.

I'm not really looking for a concealed weapon but rather a pistol that could double as a deer rifle "so to speak" as to what it can do.

I don't expect to be making 400 yard shots, but up to 200 with a scope and a nice long barrel may be nice!

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Which would you guys recommend for a flat trajectory that has power but not so much that it get uncomfortable?

I know that varies as some guns are smoother and kinder than others yet perform as good or better.

I'm not really looking for a concealed weapon but rather a pistol that could double as a deer rifle "so to speak" as to what it can do.
Sounds like you really want to look into the .460 XVR which should be both milder in felt recoil than the .454 and very, very flat shooting.

Nice read on it here...

Last edited:

Latest posts