An older one

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This one came back from a collector for recycling. I really enjoy the stone handles but it is rather labor intensive/slow compared to other handle materials. The dinosaur bone is a favorite because it has all these cell structures and makes for an interesting look.

dino01.jpg

dino02.jpg

Back in the day, some of its fellow siblings:

mfknf1.jpg

Owyhee picture jasper

mfknf2.jpg

Picasso marble in black-gray.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I dig the marble one a lot... Are this stone handle knives heavy ?? Where does the center of gravity lies??

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are heavy compared to a wood or ivory handle variants. Balance on that particular piece is 1/4" behind the end of the front bolster. Weight is 126 grams or 4.4 oz.

The regular variants I build to balance middle of front bolster. Stone handles get the double bolster so the stone is protected from drops and such. If dropped, it will tend to fall on the rear bolster. (Learned that the hard way on another knife. <dooh>)

elnero55

Newly Enlightened
every now and then i check up on this little part of the forums, never ceases to amaze me!

Steve L

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi RA40,:wave:

Beautiful knife:faint:. I don't know if everyone is aware that this fine knife is for sale here. Good Luck with finding her a new home!

Cheers,
Steve

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: more old ones

Urged by another thread, I went digging to refresh my memory:

mfong33.jpg

My version of a hunter with Picasso marble stone handle. 2000

mfong27.jpg

Don't know what this is but a variant on a trout-bird styled knife. Malachite-azurite composite stone handle. 2000

gollum

Enlightened
nice clean work there.

love the stone handles too.
scared of trying it myself

sounds like a lot of work!

seems worth it in the end though.
thanks for showing.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
Stone does require more patience and lapidary gear. That aside, it is like any of the other materials, it has frustrations to deal with. When done, it is quite unique. I enjoy the challenge/torture of using it. ;)

Wife had picked up some charoite for a Persian she is working on. I was rough cutting the stone for her and it pretty much fell apart due to the fractures it has. One doesn't see purple on knives so we thought this would be a striking combo to use. Oh well. Some generic pics of that stone here:

http://www.exquisitecrystals.com/Charoite-p-1-c-55.html

The style knife it would have been put in:

Jfper.jpg

Jasper is one of the favorites stones I like to work. If you are inclined...go for it! :) Start with easier stone like marble or re-constituted (Which are in an epoxy binder) and work your way up. Marble will work-polish with the gear you already have. It is only when you get to stones with a higher hardness factor that diamond and other lapidary gear is required.

gollum

Enlightened
quote .."I enjoy the challenge/torture of it"

of course you do ,you are a knifemaker,any knifemaker worth
his salt knows this :)

I don't own any lapidary gear, so I think I'll put this on the back burner
but thanks for telling me about whats involved.

the link has some nice pics etc thanks
Jason