AN/VSS-3a with Beam Shots

Augi

Newly Enlightened
Sure. Next time I set it up I'll bring a meter. And if you ever want to have a light saber battle out on the dunes or something, I could be persuaded.

Augi

It would be fun after all these years of guessing, to know what that actual bus system voltage is on a typical military vehicle when the VSS-3A is running steady-state both at engine idle and at say, 1500 RPM. At some point Augi, maybe you could take a couple readings and let us know?

BVH

Flashaholic
Augi, or anyone else with a VSS-3 and 3A - Does anyone have a spare Right Angle Backshell Light Head Amphenol connector they want to sell? Part Number 97-3108B-32-6S. Another member can get everything except that connector (in Right-Angle backshell version) I tried Newark, Allied, Digikey, Mouser and a web-wide search with no luck. Allied says they're 14 weeks out.

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic
Thanks for finding that. They want about $60 more than anyone else which is kinda steep but "supply and demand" rules. Allieds' price is $122. I'll pass it along. Thanks again.

This is the connector for which none of us except Augi, have found the correctly threaded connector ring. No ring or the incorrect ring is definitely not a deal-breaker. Come forth with your wares!

NITE LITE

Newly Enlightened
Augi's looks like a straight connector. At least the one in his pictures.
The one I have is a 90 degree but it's on an original molded cable that went from the light to the connector on the cupola.
The threads on the exterior connector are different then the threads on the main control box. So the ring wont tighten on mine but it still works .
I found another ring at one point but I wasn't going to cut the end off the cord just to change out the ring.
That's at least what I found.
NL

Augi

Newly Enlightened
Sorry, I don't have any extra connectors.

The light side connector is a QWL series not a 97 series, and you couldn't use the part number you called out anyway because you need a -6S (sockets) for the light side rather than a -6P (pins).

The part number you called out is correct for the control box side, which _is_ a 97 series.

I listed all the correct part numbers in my second post.

If you google for the Amphenol QWL catalog you can look and see what the back shell options are. I can't remember if there are 90 degree back shells listed or not. There are some Amphenol applications where the connector has a straight back shell but then the heat shrink boot on the cable is a 90 degree boot.

The QWL connectors are about 3-5x the price of 97 series, but they are heavier duty and machined out of bar stock. That's probably why they used them outside of the tank.

Augi

BVH

Flashaholic
Thanks Augi, yeah, got the Pins and Sockets mixed up. I need the Light head connector so its sockets I (he) need. Post changed. I didn't know about the QWL series, I guess none of us ever figured that out. So we all used the 97 Series. We probably would have used the 97's anyway if the QWL's are 3-5 times the cost. We just made do without the connector ring. There's plenty of friction to keep them plugged in.

BVH

Flashaholic
Thanks to Augi, I learned of the "10" Series of Amphenol connectors and that they are the secret to finding the special threaded connector ring that mates perfectly with the tank lights' connector. I've always wanted to have the right ring and I managed to find a source that had two Amphenol 10-107632-5S connectors in-stock for $42 each, shipped. This is the connector for power input into the VSS-3A control box which I didn't need but it came with the special threaded ring. The ring is about 1 11/16" long - which is way too long to work with my 90 degree connector backshell so I chucked it up in the lathe and cut it down to 13/16" to match the old ring length. Coincidentally, it leaves all the threads and the internal smaller diameter lip which serves to push the connector onto the mate when screwing in the ring. Almost looks like stock!

Heavy Duty "10 Series" connector left and standard "97 Series" on the right. Honestly, the "heavy Duty" connector body is no beefier than the "97 series" body. The permanently installed rubber insert and contacts are probably more heavy duty.

The Special thread, longer length connector ring. It screws 2 full turns onto the tank light. Thos 2 turns probably equal the distance of about 5 turns of the standard threaded ring.

The ring installed on the 90 degree, 97 Series connector after cutting

While making up a Control Box-to-Light cable for another member, I found that the Big 4 companies were all out of the typically $125.00, 90 degree Light connector. Lead time was way down the road. Nor did any of them have it in the straight version. My source came up with 5 genuine Amphenols in-stock for, get this....$40 each, shipped. I was skeptical they'd be genuine Amphenols but when they arrived, sure enough, they are the genuine article.

Last edited: