Another DR MR11 HID upgrade

Bill D

Newly Enlightened
Tonight I took a few minutes to do some soldering (need some more pratice) and then crossed my fingers and flipped the switch on. Then there was light and lots of it. Well more than I began with. Thank you to all who helped.

mddolson

Newly Enlightened

Bill D

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the information but those packs will not work in my can. They are to wide.

Sent by using my Infected Nusense Thunderbolt

Bill D

Newly Enlightened
Update: While diving this past weekend I started having some issues with my light and hope someone could help me trouble shoot the issue. While diving this past weekend I noticed my flicker on/off several times and then dim from Hi to low setting. I thought maybe the battery wasn't fully charged so I recharged the battery pack. The next day during the first dive while exiting the cave the light flickered several times and switched to the lower setting. It then started flashing. I switched to a back up light and had to borrow a light for the rest of my dives.

I thought there might be a loose connection in the light head but once home I didn't detect any. I did notice the light was not toggling through the setting from Hi/Low/flash. I kept messing with the toggle switch every once in a awhile it would switch. So my question is how is the best way to trouble shoot this problem? Thanks Bill

lucca brassi

Enlightened
some thermal protection inside circuit or some component that act on higher temperature ( also bad connection could be reason inside circuit - for instance some joints made on RoHS - tin without lead may crack without reason ) .... so open and inspect

Bill D

Newly Enlightened
Update: I open up the light head today. I could not find the issue but while probing around with my multi meter I managed to kill the driver. Good thing I had order a couple of extra drivers. I went head and put the new driver on and everything seems to work fine now. I am using the cheap drivers and wanted to know if anyone could recommend a better driver. I would like one that actually puts out at least 3A instead of having to try to modify one. My soldering skills on these small board are really lacking.

Bill D

Newly Enlightened
Here is a picture of my beam on full power. The light head was ~6.5 ft way and it appears the width is ~12 inches. Or should I measure from the smaller brighter section across?

light2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Bill D

Newly Enlightened
I have been diving this light but still having some issues. Over time I am seeing the light develop a very noticeable pulse. Also I'm wanting to make it brighter. By using a Taskled driver can I overdrive the emitter to 3600ma and will I see much difference in the light output? I used a halcyon 21W HID and there is just so much difference between my tiny light output and the HID.

DIWdiver

Flashlight Enthusiast
...while exiting the cave ... had to borrow a light for the rest of my dives...

OMG! Didn't realize this before, but you're cave diving on handmade and borrowed lights? I hope your insurance policy is paid up, and your affairs are in order. DIWdiver out.

Bill D

Newly Enlightened
OMG! Didn't realize this before, but you're cave diving on handmade and borrowed lights? I hope your insurance policy is paid up, and your affairs are in order. DIWdiver out.
No reason to worry. Plenty of backup lights (plus primary) and borrowed light well tested. So I'm feel confident light options are not what will do me in.

caveeagle

Newly Enlightened

Before the mid 80s... most cave divers used handmade lights. ;) I do think carrying a back-up primary light is a good idea when experimenting with this stuff. ...A but more complicated that the old lead acid halogen lights..