Another Ebay host mod

ledaholic

Enlightened
Inspired by Aircraft800 and his Ebay mini aspherical, I decided to mod one as well. I got the cheap host from Ebay and then pondered what to do with it. As it turns out, the host will fit a 52 mm reflector and a C cell battery. It comes with a 51 led module and a 4 AAA carrier and a 4-way switch. Just as Aircraft800 did, i clipped the middle contact on the switch and connected the other two leggs together so now it is on-off. I had a K2 TFFC doing nothing so decided to use that. I turned a custom heat sink and glued the K2 down with AA, gathered up an unused Mag sputtered reflector and stuffed it all in, perfect fit. So what to do about power, I recessed the spring in the tail cap, cut down a piece of PVC and made a 18650 spacer tube. I still need a UCL but plastic is ok for now. I am running direct drive with a 18650 and measured about 2.4A with a fresh cell and about 1.2 @ 3.9V. The sputtered reflector works well, gives a nice spot, decent throw and some spill.

About 100 ft, exposure set at ISO 400, F3.5, 1.3 sec.
IMG_0804.jpg

The host
IMG_0805.jpg

The business end
IMG_0812.jpg

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice, I like the idea of recycling a shower head torch into something more useful. Any pics of your heat sink? Is the body large enough to handle a 3XAA carrier? That would make it more acceptable as a "give away" light to a friend even though I'm like you preferring LiIons.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another great 51 led host mod, I like these mods, I'm thinking of getting some of these hosts to make some 1C lights.

Nothing mad, just a 1C running a boost driver into a XRE with a reflector from DX. Nice and simple, but should make a nice cheap little light for friends and family.

ledaholic

Enlightened
Very nice, I like the idea of recycling a shower head torch into something more useful. Any pics of your heat sink? Is the body large enough to handle a 3XAA carrier? That would make it more acceptable as a "give away" light to a friend even though I'm like you preferring LiIons.

No pictures of the heat sink, it is a very simple "puck" with a raised area for the led to get proper focus. I don't think it will hold 3AA, it is only large enough for a single C cell.

**Edit** I did find several 3AA hosts on ebay. A little differelt style but were 51 led head.

Last edited:

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work! I have built both of mine into XR-E aspherics for Christmas presents, but now I'll probably need one for myself. I'm thinking a SST-50 run at 3A or so in a HS reflector and a 25500.

Aircraft800

Flashlight Enthusiast
You know what, this would work perfect for a XP-G R5 (or whatever is the latest and greatest) mounted on one of those 10mm metal core cutter PCB's running the stock 4 X AAA adapter and buck driver!! A nice smooth reflector and AR Coated lens to top it off!

I found my next build!

Thanks for the inspiration!