anxiety disorders suck

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
Sounds like the source of stress that caused your anxiety was withdrawal. That can effect how the brain and body functions. I'd consider getting off a drug a life changing decision that may effect sleep and gut health (depending on the drug).
My point is that you are not a medical doctor and should not be giving advice to anyone on the internet about any medical conditions whatsoever. Nowhere in your initial post did you mention anything about withdraw being a possible cause of anxiety. Most of your ridiculous opinions of what could cause someone's stress is literally hilarious.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
My point is that you are not a medical doctor and should not be giving advice to anyone on the internet about any medical conditions whatsoever. Nowhere in your initial post did you mention anything about withdraw being a possible cause of anxiety. Most of your ridiculous opinions of what could cause someone's stress is literally hilarious.
No I'm not a medical doctor. Are you? I'm a person who has been dealing with a wide variety of health issues for several years and have developed a wealth of knowledge across many areas trying to find out what is wrong with me and how best to deal with it. I've had to replace doctors for all the screwups they've made trying to help me. Doctors are not infallible. Not being one does not mean I am not entitled to my opinion or cannot contribute. You need to change your attitude and stop trolling.

Charlie Hustle

Newly Enlightened
No I'm not a medical doctor. Are you? I'm a person who has been dealing with a wide variety of health issues for several years and have developed a wealth of knowledge across many areas trying to find out what is wrong with me and how best to deal with it. I've had to replace doctors for all the screwups they've made trying to help me. Doctors are not infallible. Not being one does not mean I am not entitled to my opinion or cannot contribute. You need to change your attitude and stop trolling.
You are making medical opinions about individuals that you have never met. Do you have any idea how insane you are?:ROFLMAO:

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
"Ask your doctor if (fill in the blank) is right for you." Seriously though, there's no way to know for sure what supplements might be good or bad for you without a proper exam and blood work.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are making medical opinions about individuals that you have never met. Do you have any idea how insane you are?:ROFLMAO:
I suggested 5-HTP which helps anxiety in many cases by increasing serotonin levels in the brain. It comes from tryptophan which has high concentrations in turkey. If you think I'm wrong to give him advice that has helped me with my anxiety, I can tell him to eat a turkey sandwich instead. I corrected someone about a blanket statement to take all the B vitamins. That was to limit the possibility of the O.P. developing Vitamin B6 toxicity. Ideally, he should get his blood levels checked before taking B6, otherwise stick to B2 and B12 which are pretty safe. If he is already in an agitated hyper state, he should avoid B vitamins which increase energy, as I said. I suggested ginseng, only if again, in a non energetic state. Ginseng is an adrenal adaptogen which can help with stress hormones like cortisol. I suggested COQ-10 which helps the heart. In a state of high stress and anxiety, you have more risk of a heart attack. The advice I gave provided no risk and high reward. If I was able to see him, I'd suggest he find the stressor causing the anxiety and try to eliminate it from his lifestyle entirely. Tell me, which part of my advice was insane?

jtr1962

Flashaholic
If I was able to see him, I'd suggest he find the stressor causing the anxiety and try to eliminate it from his lifestyle entirely.
That's certainly good advice, and with no chance of causing negative effects. However, from my personal experience and that of others, it's also the bit of advice least likely to work. Most people already know what causes them anxiety, and most have already gotten rid of whatever it is from their lives if they can. For a lot of people (me included at one time) the single biggest source of stress in my life was whatever lousy job I was doing at the time. And like most people, since I wasn't financially independent quitting really wasn't an option. Neither was finding a better job because I lacked the connections to do so. What I could get was in the help wanted ads. As anyone knows, that's typically the worst jobs going.

When I got laid off in September 1990 I used that as an opportunity to take charge of my life. I decided I wasn't going to go to another garbage job. I went into business for myself. While this made working less stressful, the variability in income added to my stress level.

My parents were another source of stress with their incessant arguing with each other but again, out of my hands to fix it. I couldn't get them to stop. Believe me, I tried. Moving out wasn't an option. I was making less working for myself than I did on my last regular job. However, even my regular job didn't pay me enough to have my own place. If I got roommates, well, that's another source of stress. So basically it was a choice of dealing with parents, or dealing with the stress of having to go back to a regular job, which I would have hated more, along with dealing with potential roommate problems.

Right now I'm dealing with the stress of taking care of my mother. Again, not in my control. Putting her in some horrible nursing home isn't an option, plus we couldn't afford it anyway. At least I no longer have the stress of worrying about working (retired in 2018), or money woes. We're not rich, but we have enough for the bills. Basically, I took control of whatever I could in my life but it really wasn't much.

My point is very little of our lives is truly within our control. Most people already fix what can be fixed. What's left often still causes a ton of stress. It sounds like that's raggie's situation.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's certainly good advice, and with no chance of causing negative effects. However, from my personal experience and that of others, it's also the bit of advice least likely to work. Most people already know what causes them anxiety, and most have already gotten rid of whatever it is from their lives if they can. For a lot of people (me included at one time) the single biggest source of stress in my life was whatever lousy job I was doing at the time. And like most people, since I wasn't financially independent quitting really wasn't an option. Neither was finding a better job because I lacked the connections to do so. What I could get was in the help wanted ads. As anyone knows, that's typically the worst jobs going.

When I got laid off in September 1990 I used that as an opportunity to take charge of my life. I decided I wasn't going to go to another garbage job. I went into business for myself. While this made working less stressful, the variability in income added to my stress level.

My parents were another source of stress with their incessant arguing with each other but again, out of my hands to fix it. I couldn't get them to stop. Believe me, I tried. Moving out wasn't an option. I was making less working for myself than I did on my last regular job. However, even my regular job didn't pay me enough to have my own place. If I got roommates, well, that's another source of stress. So basically it was a choice of dealing with parents, or dealing with the stress of having to go back to a regular job, which I would have hated more, along with dealing with potential roommate problems.

Right now I'm dealing with the stress of taking care of my mother. Again, not in my control. Putting her in some horrible nursing home isn't an option, plus we couldn't afford it anyway. At least I no longer have the stress of worrying about working (retired in 2018), or money woes. We're not rich, but we have enough for the bills. Basically, I took control of whatever I could in my life but it really wasn't much.

My point is very little of our lives is truly within our control. Most people already fix what can be fixed. What's left often still causes a ton of stress. It sounds like that's raggie's situation.
Here's some advice from Bob Marley:

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I corrected someone about a blanket statement to take all the B vitamins. That was to limit the possibility of the O.P. developing Vitamin B6 toxicity. Ideally, he should get his blood levels checked before taking B6, otherwise stick to B2 and B12 which are pretty safe.
I don't want to be disrespectful or ignite any flame but it all sounds strange to me.

Maybe you are talking about some particular and rare case?

The rule is that it integrates all the B group together, taking only single vitamins of the B group could lead to dangerous imbalances over time.

Vitamin B6 toxicity?
It only happens with 500 mg per day for a long time, this is a very high dose!

The strongest (high-dose) B Complex I take provides only 10 mg of vitamin B6 (the minimum recommended dose for adults fluctuates is 1.3 mg and goes up to 1.7 mg daily if you are over 50)

Vitamin B6 can be taken individually in high doses to treat specific diseases but when this occurs it is by * indication of a doctor * who makes sure that certain limits are not exceeded.

Nobody will go to the hospital if they take a common "B Complex" supplement and follow the directions on the package.
Note: Bananas are rich in B6, three or four large bananas will give you your daily B6 :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't want to be disrespectful or ignite any flame but it all sounds strange to me.

Maybe you are talking about some particular and rare case?

The rule is that it integrates all the B group together, taking only single vitamins of the B group could lead to dangerous imbalances over time.

Vitamin B6 toxicity?
It only happens with 500 mg per day for a long time, this is a very high dose!

The strongest (high-dose) B Complex I take provides only 10 mg of vitamin B6 (the minimum recommended dose for adults fluctuates is 1.3 mg and goes up to 1.7 mg daily if you are over 50)

Vitamin B6 can be taken individually in high doses to treat specific diseases but when this occurs it is by * indication of a doctor * who makes sure that certain limits are not exceeded.

Nobody will go to the hospital if they take a common "B Complex" supplement and follow the directions on the package.
Note: Bananas are rich in B6, three or four large bananas will give you your daily B6 :)
Regular multivitamins that have low dose B vitamins are fine. There are however B-50 and B-100 complex vitamins that basically have 50 or 100 mg of each in them. These are over the counter. Unlike vitamin C which is water soluble (very hard to overdose on because it flushes out of your system through your pee), B vitamins are fat soluble and can more easily build up in your system. Vitamin B6 requires Vitamin B2 to break it down in your system. If you have any absorption problems, celiac disease for example, you won't be able to absorb the B2 so it won't be able to break down the B6. The B6 can build up in your system over time and cause B6 toxicity. Best to get vitamin levels checked before attempting to take a high dose, even if it's over the counter. Stick to low dose and you shouldn't have problems. Anxiety can sometimes cause a weird movement in the stomach often described as butterflies. Poor gut health can sometimes be a cause. Digestive (gut health) and absorption issues should be looked at (bloodwork) prior to taking high doses of anything that could cause problems from vitamin or mineral imbalances.

Stefano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen B100 for sale for a long time, they were sold not as a supplement but for stress issues, I think for the high dose they were either regulated or discontinued.
Also B50 is a lot and not good for regular basis but only for occasional and justified use.

I often take a B50 but on the package it says half a tablet and taking half it would be a B25 (but the B6 there is limited to 10 mg)
Taking half feels a lot of the difference with a classic B Complex that only offers 100% RDA

Many people are deficient in vitamin B and do not know it, homocysteine can rise due to deficiency of B6, B12, and folic acid and can be dangerous for the heart.

No, get better informed, the B vitamins are not fat-soluble but water-soluble and are eliminated in the urine.