Any light pattern requirement for Front Lamp in the USA

michaelmuller

Newly Enlightened
In Germany, bicycle headlamp has to follow the requirement light pattern of the German Road Traffic Act, StVZO , any similar requirement in the US?

Steve K

Flashlight Enthusiast
for better or worse, no, there's no requirement. Most states have a requirement of "must be visible xxx feet to the front", but that's pretty much all. As a result, you can use whatever you want. If you briefly blind the driver of a big truck and he runs you over, well, that's a shame. If the light is so dim that the driver can't see you at all and you are run over, that's also regrettable. Shoot for something in the middle. :)

regards,

Steve K.

Eamon

Newly Enlightened
Preferences vary widely between riders. I prefer the uncontrolled American-style beam, which I adjust to exactly the same standard as a motorcycle. Others prefer the StVZO, with its closely controlled pattern.
As long as the pattern and throw-weight work for you, there isn't really a single answer. Different riders, different equipment choices.

The thing that you do need to think about is what kind of riding you're going to do, and what sort of pattern you'll need for it.

Eamon

unterhausen

Enlightened
as bike lights get brighter, we may well see some regulation. I'm somewhat concerned about this issue just from a practical viewpoint.