Any Light Suggestions

TheEDCer

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

This is just a fun thread to have people list light suggestions that might hep others looking for similar specs.

I have had lights from SF, Malkoff, HDS, Olight and Zebralight and still don't think I have found the light that fits all my criteria. This is mostly to see if people have suggestions I have not thought of :)

Here are some criteria:
1. Have a tail activated momentary high mode that does not depend on memory mode or cycle through brightness levels.
2. Run with a single cell (18650 or the like counts as one cell)
3. Officially support rechargeable.
4. No proprietary battery or charging.
5. Preferably under $200.
6. Easily replaceable and from a company that will support it.
7. Pocketable
8. Has a low mode for daily tasks.

Here are some lights that are close that I have tired and their shortcomings

1. Olight Warrior Mini 3 - proprietary battery and charging.
2. Malkoff MD2 - large and heavy for EDC but otherwise perfect.
3. HDS Tactical - Close to $400, HDS revolves around one guy who could retire and then what?
4. Surefire xyz - No official support for standard rechargeables in most lights.
5. Zebralight - No rear activated button with momentary high.

My top options I am looking into is the Elzetta Alpha 113 and the Thrunite TN12 pro.

What else ya got?

Thanks!

Last edited:
I have the Elzetta A113 and love it. The only thing I don't like is the tint. I wish it'd be easier to take the MCPCB out for an emitter swap.

Also consider the Malkoff MDC Bodyguard. Slimmer than the MD2, uses 16650s, comes on in high, then drops to medium after 8 seconds.

I'm not sure if there is a three mode MDC head that does H-M-L…

emac77

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MH series have a tactical mode which always activates in turbo from the tail cap. Output levels can be adjusted via side switch but there is no memory- always starts in turbo. They also appear to meet your other criteria.

TheEDCer

Newly Enlightened
I have the Elzetta A113 and love it. The only thing I don't like is the tint. I wish it'd be easier to take the MCPCB out for an emitter swap.

Also consider the Malkoff MDC Bodyguard. Slimmer than the MD2, uses 16650s, comes on in high, then drops to medium after 8 seconds.

I'm not sure if there is a three mode MDC head that does H-M-L…
Thanks for sharing, I should have added I do want a low option for admin tasks and such.

TheEDCer

Newly Enlightened
Nitecore MH series have a tactical mode which always activates in turbo from the tail cap. Output levels can be adjusted via side switch but there is no memory- always starts in turbo. They also appear to meet your other criteria.
Thank you, I will take a look!

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love my Elzetta Alpha Gen3, and it is a very regular carry for me. Mine uses the standard optic, and the hi-lo tailcap. I like its 4500K color temp, and find its output to be quite spectrally acceptable to my eyes personally. It uses 16340 cell, and thus is also shorter than.....

My favorite pocketable, general use 18650 light (which meets all your criteria) is my Streamlight Protac 2L-X. It has 2 available output levels, and the very simple and basic interface is very basically and easily configurable (non-volatile) via its wonderful TenTap feature, so you can probably make the interface suit your needs. It's a nice, balanced white and is probably 5000 - 5500K CT (to my eyeball meter) and also notably has an FL1-compliant 2-meter impact rating.
Here's one source:

Either can use CR123A as alternate source.

I've been using both quite a while, and I would replace either of these the next day if I lost them.

TheEDCer

Newly Enlightened
I love my Elzetta Alpha Gen3, and it is a very regular carry for me. Mine uses the standard optic, and the hi-lo tailcap. I like its 4500K color temp, and find its output to be quite spectrally acceptable to my eyes personally. It uses 16340 cell, and thus is also shorter than.....

My favorite pocketable, general use 18650 light (which meets all your criteria) is my Streamlight Protac 2L-X. It has 2 available output levels, and the very simple and basic interface is very basically and easily configurable (non-volatile) via its wonderful TenTap feature, so you can probably make the interface suit your needs. It's a nice, balanced white and is probably 5000 - 5500K CT (to my eyeball meter) and also notably has an FL1-compliant 2-meter impact rating.
Here's one source:

Either can use CR123A as alternate source.

I've been using both quite a while, and I would replace either of these the next day if I lost them.
Sweet, I will check it out! Thank you