Any oldschool folk here from 10+ years ago?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad to see you didn't catch on fire, mate

So am I ;).

The fires were heading in my direction towards the end, but fortunately I was never at any real risk. The smoke was the worst part. We spent days under a thick blanket of smoke which choked everyone.

I worry that 2020 has brought Fire, Flood, Pestilence and Plague already. I'm just waiting for Nuclear War and/or Alien Invasion.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
The fires were heading in my direction towards the end, but fortunately I was never at any real risk. The smoke was the worst part. We spent days under a thick blanket of smoke which choked everyone.

Those of us who followed Cleetus at Summernats got to see it all (with added tire smoke, guess you can't stop an Aussie party!) A shame that wasn't the worst the year had in store. Time to buy some more lights..

ninemm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool to see lots of people coming out of the woodwork to post!

Anybody remember that picture of the guy with the shoulder-mounted 600 lumen flashlight? Was a long time ago, but I know one of you has it on a hard drive somewhere..

Maybe on a Zip drive somewhere... ;)

CobraMan

Newly Enlightened
Wow - that just took me back to my senior year of high school in 1980 - 1981! My first foray into computers and programming...

I still have the Commodore 64 I bought when they came out along with the floppy drive buried deep in my garage.

Thanks for bringing those memories out of deep storage!!!

Cheers,
Tim

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Wow - that just took me back to my senior year of high school in 1980 - 1981! My first foray into computers and programming...

I still have the Commodore 64 I bought when they came out along with the floppy drive buried deep in my garage.

Thanks for bringing those memories out of deep storage!!!

Cheers,
Tim

I had a commodore 128 for about 10 years and upgraded the bios and added a 3.5 inch floppy drive and then sold it when I bought my second PC to replace my first one and no longer had room on my second desk for it. I enjoyed the commodore immensely used it for gaming and to do schoolwork as it was a powerful word processor saving me a huge amount of time doing homework at college.
I had about $500 in my commodore (minus the software I added) I paid $300 and added $200 worth of hardware and used it about 10 years and sold it about 12 or so years when I bought a PC and then a few years later upgraded it and then built another PC and didn't have room for 3 computers. I got about $300 for the commodore from an enthusiast so I was happy. As much as I miss the commodore I realize that PCs are now so powerful you can emulate a commodore on one and realize how slow and clunky they were.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
Try (compact) cassette tapes and machine level programming on a (IIRC) 13 button key terminal.

How about punch cards on an IBM mainframe? I still have a jar of square "holes" from a punch card machine somewhere.

scout24

Flashaholic
I seem to remember my father bringing a punchcard machine home from work in the 70's and having it plugged into our phoneline and running all weekend...

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I was wondering how long it would take for this thread to get back that far ... :laughing:

I spent a whole lot of time sitting at a DECwriter II terminal, a long time ago.
I have flow charts and pads for coding punch cards and even some unused punch cards from back then. When I was at college they told us of people that took the holes out of the punch card machines and spread it on peoples carpets to annoy them as it was very hard to get them out of the carpet.

generic808

Enlightened
Oh man I remember those polished lights.

Yeah, I was soooo backed up on orders during that period that I had to cut them off. It burnt me out working on them after my day job. I had no life haha

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Gonna jump in....I had to run punch cards in college. Dang, I'm old.

Meanwhile, I dropped into the CPF and Flashlight rabbit hole in April of 2009. Everything is a blur since...LOL. But it's a good blur. Made lots of great friends here - many that I've never met. Actually had the opportunity to meet Scout24 in person back in 2013 and we've remained best of friends ever since. Amazing how flashlights bring so many of us together.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
when i first started here we used a cb radio. and we only had torches ya know the branch of wood on fire

Monocrom

Flashaholic
when i first started here we used a cb radio. and we only had torches ya know the branch of wood on fire

Ah! Fire on a Stick. I remember those. Short run-time, not too bright. But with the added benefit of being able to cook your food.... and burn down the house of anyone who got on your nerves. :grin2: