Any old school computer builders here?

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Lol. It actually wasn't that long ago. It feels like we've had the Internet forever. But it's really only been about 25 years. I had a job when I was 14 working in my grandmother's computer store building PCs.
Um, no.... EDUCATION TIME:

> ebay got started in later part of 1995, a bit over 28 years ago.
> I was on message boards selling sports cards, comic books, & collectibles in the late 80s & early 90's before there was an ebay
> The origins of AOL started in 1985 about 38 years ago.
> The movie War Games, which was the first movie (IIRC) to depict the use of the internet, came out June 3rd 1983, almost 41 years ago....
> The adopted birth date of the internet is January 1st 1983, just over 41 years ago, BUT....
> ARPANET > which became the internet we know today had its origins in 1969, about 55 years ago.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast
Um, no.... EDUCATION TIME:

> ebay got started in later part of 1995, a bit over 28 years ago.
> I was on message boards selling sports cards, comic books, & collectibles in the late 80s & early 90's before there was an ebay
> The origins of AOL started in 1985 about 38 years ago.
> The movie War Games, which was the first movie (IIRC) to depict the use of the internet, came out June 3rd 1983, almost 41 years ago....
> The adopted birth date of the internet is January 1st 1983, just over 41 years ago, BUT....
> ARPANET > which became the internet we know today had its origins in 1969, about 55 years ago.
Congratulations on your excellent knowledge. Thank you for telling me I was wrong. Lol. I don't know what officially. But I do remember in late elementary school having a field trip to the rich kids house because they were the first person in my town had Internet. So it may not have been the very beginning of the Internet, but it was in my world.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Congratulations on your excellent knowledge. Thank you for telling me I was wrong. Lol. I don't know what officially. But I do remember in late elementary school having a field trip to the rich kids house because they were the first person in my town had Internet. So it may not have been the very beginning of the Internet, but it was in my world.
Well, honestly, it's more research skill :LOL: Some of it I had to look up, like when ebay, AOL, & ARPANET started... I was only a bit off on ARPANET btw.... I was thinking it was mid to late 70's till I looked it up.

AND... you're also partially right.... the internet as we know it now, didn't really get started till about 1993, and allowed people to move from message boards & usenet groups, to the interactive web pages we enjoy today.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
lol btw back in the day a lot of us builders hung out ina forum like this one but it was a benchmarking forum . if i redall it was called 3d mark or mad onion. my memory sucks. but it was fun we would build then compare results got very competitive. my specialty was building budget pcs that still was crazy fast we would all be eaiting for the neest beta drivers new hardware etc etc . ima geek

Our son's data mining system.

IMG_5029.JPG

raggie33

*the raggedier*
:broke: Enough to heat a 2,500 sq ft home. :broke: We haven't utilized any other heating source all winter.
lol my laptop pulls like 350 watts when its gameing hard i have no idea how it dont over heat. its a dumb thing i bought when my home sold and had no idea how mcuh money id have to put into new home lol. but i love it damn thing games like a dream

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Fortunately, where we live has inexpensive electricity rates - $0.0698 per kWh. Our son purchased a meter and used it to calculate the electricity our pellet stove requires. He then added the cost of pellets for 24 hours of heating.
so funny i have 4 plug in smart plugs coming tommrow or monday you can control outlet with phone but it also tell you the cost per day of each outlets devices pluged into it you just have to enter ya power cost per KWH . You can also have it turn off outlet if it uses more watts or amps then the figure you set. . i hate unexpected power bills.. was only like 8 bucks per plug if you buy 4

fuyume

Enlightened
Microsoft had the Halo: Master Chief collection on sale at the end of last year for $10, so I bought it. It turns out, the package has a unitary installer than requires about 150 GB of drive space to install, so I haven't been able to run it.

This week, I found my old 250 GB laptop SSD from 2014, backed up the data to my 6 TB Asustor NAS unit, reformatted it, and installed it in my PC, so I was finally able to install and play Halo: Reach.

Back when Halo originally came out, I was all Mac, so I never got to play Halo beyond the first game, because that was the only one ever ported to the Mac, despite Bungie having developed the game on Mac.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
if i did the math right in my hes thats like 490 bucks a month here

TPA

Enlightened
so funny i have 4 plug in smart plugs coming tommrow or monday you can control outlet with phone but it also tell you the cost per day of each outlets devices pluged into it
I picked up some of the Kasa Matter plugs in December. Quite useful, especially being able to program them. I have a spin dryer without a timer on it, so I put one of these on there and have it set to shut off after 6 minutes.

pnwoutdoors

Enlightened
It's been awhile since I last built one. Some components are getting crazy fast, compared to just 10yrs ago. I've built four or five different boxes. No heavy-duty performance requirements, but moderately zippy for the time.

In another couple of years I'll probably consider building another. We'll see. The current box is plenty fast for what I need, so no rush.

The last time I poked around on possibilities, I looked at a half dozen of the motherboard makers' websites, checked out a few of the "benchmarking" websites, then piddled around with combinations and variations.

My last build's box still works quite well. Swapping-in a new motherboard, CPU and SSD would probably get 3-4x the performance of that setup, but I'll wait for prices to get to truly "bargain" levels. Don't do heavy video, don't do gaming, don't do crypto mining, and don't have gobs of storage needs. So, no rush.