any pastry chefs here?

turbodog

Flashaholic
Looking for a some help recreating a pastry that I used to buy locally... bakery folded and I can't find a replacement.

Sort of a scone/biscuit/muffin hybrid.

ledbetter

Enlightened
These are classified as quick breads which use baking soda/powder as leavening. Buttermilk is advisable as an aid to leavening and to improve flavor. Avoid baking powder with aluminum if possible.
There is some technique involved but good results can be obtained a lot quicker than yeast based baked goods. A basic cookbook like Betty Crocker or Martha Stewart can help, as can large, restaurant grade aluminum cookie sheets or jelly roll pans.
Remember, unlike cooking, baking is mostly chemistry and weighing ingredients is preferable to measuring. All dry ingredients should be well mixed before adding wet. And STOP mixing once all dry ingredients are moistened. Over mixing quick breads result in flat products. And on the positive side, even failed attempts are often better than store bought.
6167B353-4082-4469-8BB4-DB4FDE5FF32C.jpeg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Popeyes clone biscuit recipe is the biscuit worth making. I used to bake a lot and make fresh pasta. Then kids happened.

ledbetter

Enlightened
My kids were spoiled and grew up with homemade biscuits, scones, cornbread. Aluminum is added as an anti clumper to baking powder. Works great but is possibly directly linked to Alzheimer's so whatever. Lots of studies out there if interested. Small amounts won't kill you, right?!

Last edited:

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm fairly well versed in most of the principles... paid a pro chef to come to the house and run me through his bbq ribs, bbq brisket, and biscuit recipe. Ended up with pretty killer versions of all.

As far as biscuits go, learned to weigh ingredients, put flour in freezer so it won't melt butter, and some mixing techniques.

Need to apply those to these bis-sco-fin that I need to replicate.

I can describe what's _wrong_ with my attempts... but don't know the adjustments to make to steer the outcome.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like an excellent treat. Let us know your most evolved recipe when it happens.

You might consider limited alternative ingredients like coconut sugar, almond flour... Sometimes so much wheat can get in the way.

Latest posts