Any Palight / Safelight mods?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
...in other words has anyone changed the LED witch by today's standards is pathetic? I checked mine yesterday for function and battery and I almost regreted getting it...

thanks, Kostas

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't you make a paklite clone made of:

Contact stripped out of a dead 9v
A switch
A resistor or two
LEDs

This seems like something that's easier to solder together and add epoxy than to cut open the potted paklite and replace LEDs?

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
I replaced the std curved (focussing) lens in a couple of mine to give a much more floody, even beam. That's the extent of the mods I wanted to do.

If you want to replace the 5mm LED with a "power"LED (eg XP-G or XML) you would also need to replace the driver, then you would probably also want to change the battery to a 3.7V li-ion - by the time you do all that you might as well just buy the exact light you wanted in the first place (IMO).

datiLED

Flashlight Enthusiast
I replaced the stock LED in my SafeLight with a Nichia GS co-W. The tint is a little better, and it is considerably brighter on high.

My wife and I use these lights every night. Using the old batteries from our smoke and CO2 detectors (changed every 6 months), the operating cost is basically nothing. My son uses his SafeLight less often, so he gets the strongest battery removed from one of our lights.

Getting the rubber skin off the light is a pain. But once you get it started, it will slip off fairly easily. Of course, getting it back on is somewhat difficult. The LED replacement is easy once you have the light open. Two screws secure the PCB to the plastic shell. Then it is a matter of removing and replacing the LED.

Barrie

Enlightened
thanks for the reply
i have over 120 9v lithium batts i got from my work all part used but still over 9v in them
i like the palights but could do with a bit more light from it
i will have a look at the Nichia GS co-w
thanks Barrie

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
thanks for the reply
i have over 120 9v lithium batts i got from my work all part used but still over 9v in them
i like the palights but could do with a bit more light from it
i will have a look at the Nichia GS co-w
thanks Barrie

Ultralife 9v lithium batteries are TOO LARGE to fit in the torches !!!

abvidledUK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Can't you make a paklite clone made of:

Contact stripped out of a dead 9v
A switch
A resistor or two
LEDs

This seems like something that's easier to solder together and add epoxy than to cut open the potted paklite and replace LEDs?

Like these ?
From 5 years ago............
They have worked fine for me since then, no need to upgrade.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...rch-%A31.50-with-quot-night-glow-quot-feature

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...amp-Mk2-%A31.50-(-2.75)&p=1599195#post1599195

Last edited:

Gregozedobe

Enlightened
they fit if you remove the foil outer casing it is a solid sealed plastic casing underneath

That works for fine the PAlights, but I also had to file off the corners (only the plastic) to fit in my Safe-Light.

I think some of the new versions of lithium 9v primary batteries with rounded corners (eg Varta & Camelion) may fit without needing any mods. Unfortunately they aren't available in Australia, and all the sellers I could find wanted too much for the batteries and/or shipping (shipping cost from some German sellers in particular were eye-wateringly expensive).