Any real-world feedback on the Nitecore MH40 (Thor)? Or a detailed review?

djw479

Newly Enlightened
Seems the Nitecore MH40 has slipped thru the cracks for those that perform detailed reviews, like those normally done by Selfbuilt, Subwoofer, and others. I'd imagine much of that is caused by Nitecore not supplying these reviewers with a MH40 for review. Perhaps Nitecore sees the MH40 has already been superceded by the mucho-hyped Nitecore P25 Smilodon in the eyes of many potential buyers(Micro-USB port, side switch, etc). But I like the idea of 2x18650 for more battery reserve, lack of picatinny rails, etc.

I've searched the web high & low for detailed reviews but found none. There maybe a few non-English reviews out there I've overlooked, but I'm translation-challenged. The info below is not vetted by me, just what I discovered while reaching the MH40.

Compiled info:
- UI is like the other MT/MH models
- Comes with 2 Nitecore NL-183 2300w cells & AC charger, holster, o-rings, etc
- MH40 has no step-down, rather it just shuts off when power is reduced to a certain level, but at what level?
(MH40 does not seem to provide voltage readouts like the P25)
- Altho I've seen both connectors in pics, it seems a DC3.5 connection is used at body, verse a Micro-USB connector on the MH25/P25
(found a few older comments on charging port becoming loose/inop, but this same comment can be found occasionally for all the Nitecore rechargeables(P25, MH25, etc))
- From short videos on YouTube and specs of a deep 60mm reflector and 60,000cd, it would seem to be a good thrower?
(some state its just a MT40 with a built-in charger, but the MH40 has higher specs of 60mm/60000cd/490meters verse MT40's 50mm/33,000cd/363meters).

Here's a link to Nitecore's site for reference(also has link to User Manual): http://nitecore.com/productDetail.aspx?id=71

Here's a few more tech details not shown on Nitecore's specs:- Output/Runtime (With 2 x 18650):

• Turbo: 900 Lumens/1.25 Hours
  • High: 320 Lumens/5.5 Hours
  • Medium: 105 Lumens/22 Hours
  • Low: 18 Lumens/105 Hours
  • SOS and Strobe is accessed in sequence with other power levels (a minor negative for me)

I'm basically a newbie to the non-AA world of real flashlights (own a Olight T-25 as my first baby step), but the MH40 is beginning to be available at serious 50% discounts on eBay, etc. Seems like an interesting deal at $65-ish verse $129 MSRP, and could be my next purchase as I delve into serious flashlights. At $65 including batteries, charger and accessories, I'm intrigued but my knowledge is limited and I maybe overlooking something more knowledgeable flashaholics may see immediately as a strong negative.

I'm sharing what little info I've found from multiple sites and am presenting them here to drive further discussion/feedback by actual owners of the MH40 or those with on-topic comments.

So just how does it stack up to similar-configured flashlights (rechargeable or not)?
- I'd think its more of a thrower, but how is the flood/spill?
- How's the build quality?
- How well does the internal charger charge 18650 cells?
(any other brands work better and/or have you used higher-watt batteries successfully? (2600, 2900, 3100, etc))
- Any other positive or issues you've discovered?

Thanks (in advance) for any more detailed info!

Last edited:

Tim T

Newly Enlightened
djw479:

Just spotted your thread . . . thought I'd throw in a word, something to consider for starters, but you will probably get some more responses that are a little more knowledgeable.

I don't have this particular light, but have a couple of the "MT" series as well as an EA4 and EC25. Build-wise, my general experience with the newer Nitecore stuff is pretty positive. Both the MH and MT series have a somewhat unusual switching mechanism. This and the available output levels (which I like in general but many others don't - preferences here depend on ones needs and intended uses) is a lot of reason, I think, that these lights didn't get as much attention as one might have expected. The switch is, as you probably know, head tight, you get "turbo" - period. Head loose, you get other modes which you cycle through by pressing the tailcap switch. One pain here is that the signal modes are in the main sequence with the lower output modes, so you get to run past strobe and S-O-S with each cycle. Also, at least on the MT's I have, the multiple switch presses can be spaced pretty far apart (timewise, like up to a couple seconds) and will still change outputs. If you want to use the light (other than on turbo) in a momentary fashion (as one may if checking dark corners for odd things and/or people, etc) and you get fairly quick on your blasts of momentary, you'll get level switching rather than momentary on. In the reviews I've seen on the MT lights, I have not seen any comments on this switching issue, so I do not know if this is consistent from MT to MT model and/or from MT to MH. Just something to check . . . it would probably bug me if the lights I bought were for more routine and general purpose use.

I didn't mind this, but was also looking for more along the lines of general purpose emergency/camping/backup lights (for a gear bag, etc) rather than an on-person routine use light. In such situations, the lower settings would be most likely used for "electric candle" purposes, or moving around in a dark house, etc. Here, one isn't going to be doing a lot of rapid-fire momentary-on stuff, so the interface would be much less likely to be an issue. Given the fact that these are very functional lights for the price (the MT2A, for instance, was about $40) and my intended use, the switch was not a big deal. If I were carrying and using them every day? I'd consider the switch to be a bigger issue and would probably think again about spending a pretty fair bit more on something with a friendlier switch. (Again, to the extent that your serious-use stuff would be on "turbo", this issue is irrelevant).

I'd be a little careful with 'bargains', $65 seems pretty cheap for an MH40, but seems pretty reasonably for the MT40. Make sure and compare output levels, beam intensity, and any other factors like that which are important to you, but the main difference with the MT's is simply the inability to charge batteries in place. Personally, this would be VERY handy when a person gets to 3-4x18650 lights (an area where I have limited experience so far). With 2-cell lights, I'm not sure how great of a convenience enhancement you really get. Assuming the other specs are suitable, you can save quite a lot of money by omitting the internal charging capability and going with the MT equivalent (do, however, make sure to factor in the price of a couple 18650s - included with the MH40, but not with the MT40). Of course, you'd need a separate charger if you don't already have one, but then you have something that can charge cells for as many lights as you want to get.

For safety and so forth, I am also under the impression that series-charging of lithium ion cells is something to approach with care. Of course, that's true with discharging, too. Unless you plan on using the light on a fairly limited basis, you'll probably want to have a couple pairs of cells anyways, to be able to run the light without waiting for cells to recharge. Depending on your usage pattern, internal recharging may be much more useful than I find it, but for me I don't find swapping things in and out that big of a deal - plus, it allows me to periodically check cell voltages (both after discharge and after recharge). Of course, this will allow a person to spot a situation in which the two cells are getting out of "balance" (one significantly weaker than the other) and hopefully head off any potential trouble before it occurs.

The one other thing I'd mention from personal experience is to not put too much emphasis on "throw", unless you do have a specific need for it (rural property, want a light for the car and drive in some remote areas, etc). If you already know this, just ignore me . . . I'm recalling MY ignorance here, not suggesting that you have any! My first ever (or maybe 2nd or 3rd) serious LED flashlight was a Tiablo "A8" (not even sure if the company is still around). Anyways, it was definitely a throw light (Cree XR-E LED, perhaps approaching an outrageous 200 lumens!) and it was cool. However, about 99% of the time (again, this will differ with your personal circumstances), it wasn't that great as a practical flashlight. The field of "spill" light was narrow and the very tight hotspot was TOO bright on anything close. For my general purposes, I found that the vast majority of my practical use was better suited to a fair bit broader beam.

Anyways, point here is that the cheaper-and-simpler MT40 is, I believe, a little lower on peak beam intensity (smaller reflector). If your usage would make in-light recharging handy, then it is a different story. But if that isn't too big of a deal to you, and you don't have a specific need for higher end throw, you might find that to be a fine option for maybe half the price.

Please understand that I am offering my experience, which involves applications different from yours, so you should take this feedback with as much salt as you think appropriate. However, I thought these observations might be worth passing on because I looked very carefully at these lights too, though mostly in the 2AA and 1x 18650 sizes. I was pretty close to pulling the trigger on some MH lights and, again, they may be the better choice if your uses would make internal charging very useful. But, for my needs, a little further thought revealed that the charging capability, though neat, really wasn't that terribly important. One result could be saving money, but many of the folks around here might tell you that, even better, you can buy MORE FLASHLIGHTS for the same money if you go with the more affordable model.

A final note about in-light charging. Back in the pre-LED days, I thought this was a great thing to have. But, to the extent you are thinking about a light that will be used in the car, it may not be that great. Charging in hot or cold is never good for any chemistry, and cold (usually less than 40F, or perhaps less than 32F is what I've seen quoted) is REALLY bad with lithium ion. I am of the understanding that this can cause adverse reactions in the cells, potentially making them more susceptible to future catastrophic failure. In other places, it may not be as bad. But in North Dakota, probably 9 months out of 12 are either too darned hot or too darned cold for ideal (or even acceptable) charging in the vehicle. For infrequent occasions when it would be useful for me, there are a number of separate chargers that can take 120 V AC or 12 V DC and can thus be used in the car.

Anyways, hope these general thoughts help. Again, I'm thinking back to my own experiences (both early ones and recent ones) and throwing out a few things that I eventually concluded.

Best of luck with whatever you select.

Tim

djw479

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Tim, I appreciate your input!

I have a Olight T-25 and diffuser for low-light work.

I want a thrower for trips to my northern Wisconsin cabin, as I enjoy walking thoughout the 5 acres at night. I'd probably use the non-turbo levels mostly, but if I hear something in the distance, I'd like to be able to reach out and see it.

I've ordered a MH40 and will see how it works out.

Last edited:

Overclocker

Flashlight Enthusiast
charging lithium ions in SERIES without monitoring each cell is a BAD IDEA. better stay away from this flashlight

djw479

Newly Enlightened
John, I understand you confusion since the numeric part of the two models are similar(MT40 vs MH40). The video referenced is for the MT40. You could infer its a similar version except for an internal charger. But while both use 2x18650s/4xcr123s and XM-L U2, they are quite different:
- MT40s reflector is 50mm vs MH40's 60mm reflector,
- lowest setting on MT40 is 100lumens(24hrs) vs MH40's 18lumens(105hrs),
- MT40's 33,000cd vs MH40s 60,000cd,
- form of bodies is different, etc.

That's why I'm searching for detailed MH40 reviews like those normally done by Selfbuilt, Subwoofer, etc. But sadly it seems Nitecore hasn't been interested in sending out demos for reviewing.

Hope this helps!

Are there two different version of the Nitecore MH40 one rechargeable and on non-rechargeable

Is this the non-rechargeable version on youtube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWDYTtWfOPU

John.

Last edited:

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.

Thanks for that, i dont know how i missed it. :eek:

John, I understand you confusion since the numeric part of the two models are similar(MT40 vs MH40). The video referenced is for the MT40. You could infer its a similar version except for an internal charger. But while both use 2x18650s/4xcr123s and XM-L U2, they are quite different:
- MT40s reflector is 50mm vs MH40's 60mm reflector,
- lowest setting on MT40 is 100lumens(24hrs) vs MH40's 18lumens(105hrs),
- MT40's 33,000cd vs MH40s 60,000cd,
- form of bodies is different, etc.

That's why I'm searching for detailed MH40 reviews like those normally done by Selfbuilt, Subwoofer, etc. But sadly it seems Nitecore hasn't been interested in sending out demos for reviewing.

Hope this helps!

Soames

Newly Enlightened
I've had my MH40 for several weeks and am still trying to get used to the UI.

My trouble lately has been that the spring loaded battery compartment doesn't keep enough pressure on the cells. If I invert the light or knock it the battery contact breaks and the light changes to the next mode just like it would if you rapidly cycled the switch. This is ultra annoying as I might be in the low output mode when due to some movement the batteries briefly lose contact and it switches by itself to SOS or strobe.

It's a really good flashlight otherwise. Being able to go from 18 lumen output with a diffuser to 900 lumen output with excellent throw is very versatile.

Knight_Light

Enlightened
My trouble lately has been that the spring loaded battery compartment doesn't keep enough pressure on the cells. If I invert the light or knock it the battery contact breaks and the light changes to the next mode just like it would if you rapidly cycled the switch. This is ultra annoying as I might be in the low output mode when due to some movement the batteries briefly lose contact and it switches by itself to SOS or strobe.
I am going to have to try this one and see if I can duplicate this. If it's true it's definitely not good. Here's a solution that I would recommend for you. Get some flat magnets that are just smaller then the battery. Stick them on the end of the last battery (effectively making the battery a few millimeters longer). This will increase the force with which the batteries are held in place.

djw479

Newly Enlightened
I've had my MH40 for several weeks and am still trying to get used to the UI.

It's a really good flashlight otherwise. Being able to go from 18 lumen output with a diffuser to 900 lumen output with excellent throw is very versatile.

I haven't had any problems Soames. In fact when I read you response, I grabbed mine and flipped it all over the place while bumping it somewhat hard with my other hand. I tried bumps to the head, tail and body while moving it about with no change in light level, no flickering, etc.

And finally, what diffuser are you using?

And what diffuser are you using?

- What brand batteries are you using? I'm using the factory-supplied 2300a 183 Nitecore versions.
- Please excuse this dumb question, but are all is the head and tail sections threaded on correctly& tightly? Just trying to think of a simple fix.
- I know this is not an "approved" fix-it, but can you stretch the spring inside tail section so contact it stronger?
- Can you send back for replacement or repair?

Hopefully you can find a quick fix for it. I like mine alot. Last weekend I used it at my backwoods retreat(no other outside lights for miles) and it really lite up the night when on the higher levels! I even caught a few far-off raccoon eyes shining back at me, etc...or maybe they were skunks!?! :faint:

Last edited:

Soames

Newly Enlightened
I'm using the Nitecore NFD60 clear filter. It is a rubber shroud with a opaque filter. It really spreads the beam nice and evenly for any kind of close up application. I really like it. It might be a pain for some if you find yourself taking it on and off continuously but I find it really handy for just using around the house of a night time on the lowest output setting. Then if I hear a bump in the night it is good to know that I can whip that filter off and activate turbo mode.

In regards to my problem with the self changing modes due to intermittent battery contact. I fully unthreaded everything, reinserted the batteries and played around with it. After re-assembling I tried activating the multi daily modes by rotating the head all the way to lock out in the opposite direction to the turbo mode. After all of this it now seems to be operating as it should (thank goodness). So I don't know if I have had the cells mis-aligned, or the spring contacts mis-aligned or just haven't had it threaded in the correct position. Hopefully it won't re-occur.

It seems like we are both running on the same cells, Nitecore NL183 2300mAh 18650's. This is my first flashlight running on 18650's and I am pleased with their cost and practicality. That reminds me of the other thing I like a lot about this light. The ability to use RCR123 and CR123 as well. It's good to know I can interchange batteries from my other lights or reserve cells when I need to.

Soames

Newly Enlightened
I haven't had any problems Soames. In fact when I read you response, I grabbed mine and flipped it all over the place while bumping it somewhat hard with my other hand. I tried bumps to the head, tail and body while moving it about with no change in light level, no flickering, etc.

And finally, what diffuser are you using?

- What brand batteries are you using? I'm using the factory-supplied 2300a 183 Nitecore versions.
- Please excuse this dumb question, but are all is the head and tail sections threaded on correctly& tightly? Just trying to think of a simple fix.
- I know this is not an "approved" fix-it, but can you stretch the spring inside tail section so contact it stronger?
- Can you send back for replacement or repair?

Hopefully you can find a quick fix for it. I like mine alot. Last weekend I used it at my backwoods retreat(no other outside lights for miles) and it really lite up the night when on the higher levels! I even caught a few far-off raccoon eyes shining back at me, etc...or maybe they were skunks!?! :faint:

Thanks for your advice djw479 appreciate your interest and response. Hopefully just a beginners set back on my behalf so your suggestion wasn't a dumb one. Will let you know how it goes. At least with the MH40 you can keep a safe distance from those skunks!

Birdwhisperer

Newly Enlightened
So just how does it stack up to similar-configured flashlights (rechargeable or not)?
- I'd think its more of a thrower, but how is the flood/spill?
- How's the build quality?
- How well does the internal charger charge 18650 cells?
(any other brands work better and/or have you used higher-watt batteries successfully? (2600, 2900, 3100, etc))
- Any other positive or issues you've discovered?

Thanks (in advance) for any more detailed info!

Hi

A friend of mine put me onto this forum months ago when I was looking for a new torch for my night photography (to help focus). One of the members suggested the Nitecore brand. I researched it and ended up with this particular torch, the MH40 Thor. Boy, I am glad I bought it. I mainly use it for finding my way through dark forests and gullies where I seek out owls and other nocturnal wildlife to photograph and take HD video of. I found the torch to be light enough to carry, robust and reliable overall. It is well ahead of my old and large/heavy Maglite I had previously and at 900 lumens the light power output is beautiful for video work. I have gone through two red filters, as the build quality is not necessarily great. The red glass is good, but it just loosely sits in the rubber housing and is easy to dislodge accidentally, which I have done, thus breaking it on hard ground. In any case, the red filter when used at 900 lumens setting helps with the camera's autofocus function greatly and being of the red spectrum it is not disturbing for wildlife. With flash (as in external camera flash) I can override the red glow (thus elimiate it). I can easily focus with my 1D3 body and a 5DMkII body at distances of at least 30 meters and use the MH40 (with no filter) to illuminate the video as well at this distance, though ISO is usually 3200-6400, however, very, very good image quality still.

For my kind of work it is a god send, the torch. I am not a technical person, so cannot comment on any tech aspects, other than taking it in the field, using it and loving it. In fact, a mate of mine has also bought one after I spoke with him outlining my love of this torch and he just purchased his for the same kind of video and photography work. Here is his message to me yesterday word for word:

Wanted to let you know I bought a Nitecore THOR same as yours and I'd have to say it's one of the decisions I have made! Thanks for the recommendation! It's one thing to read 900 lumens on the website, but another to see it at night. Incredible that they are able to pack so much power into something so small. I bought the filter for it as well and it works a treat for AF with my 500. I was expecting the images to be slightly red from the filter too but the flash completely masks it out which is great. The 500mm had a real struggle using AF with my LED Lenser.
I was tossing up between the THOR and another smaller rechargable Nitecore with 860 lumens for slightly cheaper, but I'm pretty happy with this!

For anyone interested, feel free to peruse a few of my night video clips (rough edits only).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EmYFxnCBQo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdOfSXJU-uA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6FMJ8RGwS8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zK6_x1-Tkw