Any Ultra Low Single-Mode Lights on the Market?

flight777

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

I need a recommendation for a really low power single-mode flashlight to have by my bed for poking around in the dark without waking up my brother who sleeps in the same room. I've tried using the Fenix E01, LD01, and some others. Even the 3 lumen mode on the LD01 is a little too much sometimes. I know there's a bunch of multi-mode lights with super low outputs available, such as the 4Sevens products. But for this application, I don't want to be flipping through different modes. I just need a good single output LED - preferrably that runs on AA or AAA cells - that is in the ballpark of 0.5 to 2 lumens.

Thanks!

~David

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
option 1) Apply diffuser tape over one of your current torche's, diffused light will be much less annoying / attention getting for your brother than a light with a hot spot. As the lux on him will be the same even if the light is moved unlike flashing around a hotspot, if its still somehow still to bright just add more and more diffuser tape (Or paper) until the beam is dim enough.Option2) get a infinitely adjustable light, such as thr RRT range froom jetbeam.

Tapis

Enlightened
I would recommend an L3 Illumination L10, the 4 modes version which includes a VERY useful firefly mode of around 0.1 lumens (see review here). Yes, it's a multi-mode light, but it always starts at the lowest mode so you won't be flipping through them.

flight777

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I'll check that one out. I just posted a question about the Klarus MiX6 & Mi10 lights in the 'recommend' forum. Does anyone here know how low the low modes on either of these is? Based on Selfbuilt's review of the MiX6, I am hopeful the Klarus lights have truly low output capability without being too dim.

~David

Tapis

Enlightened
Klarus MiX6 --> Low Mode: 3 Lumens (66 hrs)
Klarus Mi10 --> Low Mode: 2 Lumens (66 hrs)

They're basically the same and might not be low enough for what you're looking to achieve.

GunnarGG

Enlightened
Does it have to be LED?
How about an old incan Mag Solitaire?
The more you drain the battery the better it gets (if you want it dim).

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Thrunite Ti3 also starts on firefly mode - I believe .04 lumens. AAA so very small. I think the neutral white emitter will be available again soon, if you are a tint snob.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I would recommend an L3 Illumination L10, the 4 modes version which includes a VERY useful firefly mode of around 0.1 lumens (see review here). Yes, it's a multi-mode light, but it always starts at the lowest mode so you won't be flipping through them.
This was my first thought as well.

I gave away three of them last month and the feedback from non-flashaholics was; how unbelievable the light was coming from an LED, how bright they are on high, and how absolutely cool the ultra-low setting was.

I need to get some more of them so I can replace the one I meant to keep for myself now.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I had a 3 cell light that was direct drive that I put a resistor in the tailcap of the light to reduce the power to the LEDs.
You could similarly do that or get a 2 cell light that would run off 1 cell and make a resistor the size of the other battery to reduce output required.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cheapest option instead of spending silly money for a simple task,just use a cap on your EO1,something like a chap stick top should do.

CyclingSalmon14

Enlightened
Smooth did not think of the chapstick idea, bit better than mine lol XD, let us know what oyu decide to get ok buddy?

flight777

Newly Enlightened
Cheapest option instead of spending silly money for a simple task,just use a cap on your EO1,something like a chap stick top should do.

I don't have my E01 anymore so I can't test it. Can anybody else confirm if a Chapstick top is a good fit on a Fenix E01 and how it effects the output?

Thanks,

~David

funkychateau

Enlightened
All Zebralight offerings seem to have direct one-click access to a low mode that can be user-specified. And once on, a double-click can move to an alternate low mode.

I use this feature of my SC600-II as a night-light, set so low that I leave it "always on" all night. Makes it easy to find tailstanding on my night table. With adjusted eyes, I can even use it to naviagate to the restroom. If necessary, I can double-click for a slight increase in output, but still below one lumen.

Used in this manner, plus a small amount of higher-output work, the battery needs recharging every few months.

This may be a good solution in that it also gives you a very compact and powerful light for general-purpose use.

Tapis

Enlightened
I don't have my E01 anymore so I can't test it. Can anybody else confirm if a Chapstick top is a good fit on a Fenix E01 and how it effects the output?
I have the Fenix 01 but not a Chapstick cap. The thing is, the 01 is quite hard to turn on with one hand, and I cannot quite see how a Chapstick cap on it would make things any easier. Unless you're planning to turn on the light before putting the cap on it, which will negate your original goal, won't it?

Frankly an L3 L10 4 modes seems to be a much better option, and you'll find yourself using the light MUCH MORE than you previously thought.

flight777

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix 01 but not a Chapstick cap. The thing is, the 01 is quite hard to turn on with one hand, and I cannot quite see how a Chapstick cap on it would make things any easier. Unless you're planning to turn on the light before putting the cap on it, which will negate your original goal, won't it?

Frankly an L3 L10 4 modes seems to be a much better option, and you'll find yourself using the light MUCH MORE than you previously thought.

Yes, I do remember the E01 being harder to twist on than some other more recent lights. I'm thinking the Chapstick cap may not dim the light enough for what I'm trying to do, but it's a good idea.

I looked at that L3 L10 4 review, and I think we're on the other extreme now - tested output was only 0.01 to 0.03 lumens. I was looking for something closer to 0.5 to 2 lumens.

Any other ideas? The older Klarus Mi10 XP-E R2 looks pretty good at 2 lumens in the start mode, so I may just go with that.....if I can find one.
thinking.gif

~David

Last edited:

markr6

Flashaholic

I was going to recommend that too. But then I thought, if you turned it off and then needed to turn it back on you're sort of screwed. The reset time of about 6 seconds is LONG. Anything before that and it will go into the next brightest mode.

flight777

Newly Enlightened
Does it have to be LED?
How about an old incan Mag Solitaire?
The more you drain the battery the better it gets (if you want it dim).

This is actually what I've been using lately. Solitaires are about 2 lumens on Eneloops. I like the warm, incan light and they work fine for a short period of time, but the battery wears out pretty fast - especially if you fall asleep with it on :). Seems like I'm changing batteries too often. I was also wanting the better beam characteristics of a good LED. What can I say, I use my flashlights quite a bit!

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
I looked at that L3 L10 4 review, and I think we're on the other extreme now - tested output was only 0.01 to 0.03 lumens. I was looking for something closer to 0.5 to 1 lumen.

Any other ideas?

Yeah my L10 measures 0.02 lms - too low for me. An Eagletac D25A on an Energizer L91 will get you in the 0.5-1 lm range (my N219 measures 0.7lms) - it's moonlight is voltage sensitive and will be ~ a third/quarter that output on <1.3V (Eneloop). Also has a great short reset and so could be used as a single mode.

I like the "brighter" moonlights in the 0.3-0.5 lm range, and collect sub-lumen AA lights, but sadly, most manufacturer specs are off by multiples at this low level.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast

You simply super glue the cap to the light it is as simple as that.You can even knurl the cap for better grip with a few simple tools.It is a one off light he requires and is so easy with a few tools a 5 year old could do it in half an hour.