Any Ultra Low Single-Mode Lights on the Market?

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I looked at that L3 L10 4 review, and I think we're on the other extreme now - tested output was only 0.01 to 0.03 lumens. I was looking for something closer to 0.5 to 1 lumen.
Not sure if you realize just how much actual light that is, as opposed to what it looks like on paper. If you've just woken up it is a lot of light and with the floodiness of the beam pattern, very nice to navigate by in the dark.

flight777

Newly Enlightened
Not sure if you realize just how much actual light that is, as opposed to what it looks like on paper. If you've just woken up it is a lot of light and with the floodiness of the beam pattern, very nice to navigate by in the dark.

I guess I don't really have a reference for 0.03 lumens, but just doing the math, the difference from 3 to 0.03 is the same as from 300 to 3 (very dramatic). I've gotten a pretty good feel for relative brightness levels above 3 lumens, so I figured half or maybe a quarter of 3 would do the trick. That would be somewhere between 0.75 and 1.5 lumens. Or am I missing something here?

~David

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess I don't really have a reference for 0.03 lumens, but just doing the math, the difference from 3 to 0.03 is the same as from 300 to 3 (very dramatic). I've gotten a pretty good feel for relative brightness levels above 3 lumens, so I figured half or maybe a quarter of 3 would do the trick. That would be somewhere between 0.75 and 1.5 lumens. Or am I missing something here?

~David

Another idea,buy one of those tiny zipper pull lights many vendors give away for free,if in white paint the led or order a coloured one such as red or green.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PALight is very low. It's always on so you don't need to flip through any modes. 9V battery though.

Norm

Retired Administrator
I second the PAL light suggestion, they go literally forever on a 9V battery (I run the four I have on old smoke detector batteries) and the battery would be very difficult for a child to access. Even the high isn't bright.

Norm

kaichu dento

Flashaholic

~David
No, and I don't really know your usage or preferences well enough to say what the ideal level would be for you. Just wanted to point out that some of these figures that look miniscule on paper are way brighter than many would expect, especially if they've just woken up and are in a pitch black house.

If you've got one of Henry's newer lights, the lowest mode on them is supposed to be .02 lumens, and definitely bright enough (I would think) for your purposes. Once again, I may be completely wrong and you may want a lot more light than I'm thinking would be don't-wake-up-sleeping-people brightness.

flight777

Newly Enlightened
Just wanted to point out that some of these figures that look miniscule on paper are way brighter than many would expect, especially if they've just woken up and are in a pitch black house.

Point taken. I guess I need to see what those ultra-low lumens look like. I can't imagine 0.01 lumens doing much good if it's really floody. Seems like you would want a decent amount of beam to be useful. Most of the time, what I need to see in my room at night is either stuff down on the floor, half-way across the room, etc., or things about a foot from my face. I'm ok with having more than enough light close-up, if it will help on the far end. I figure there's got to be a sweet spot somewhere below 3 lumens (LD01 Low Mode) that doesn't blow you or others away in the middle of the night.

My original post said I was looking for a single-mode, but I can see where having multiple higher modes could be useful (emergency, etc.), as long as the light starts on low.

~David

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here's an old comparison pix of some sub-lumen lights and what I meter them to be (spec/metered). We are all different, but I personally like 0.3-0.5 lm "moonlight" levels which I find to be a comfortable book reading level, and fine for most close task work (eg, camping) when my eyes are PARTIALLY dark adapted. Dimmer "firefly" modes (<0.10 lms) are far more comfortable when my eyes are FULLY dark-adapted (ie, waking from sleep) when moonlight levels can seem painfully bright.

For me the key is that, between sunset and bedtime when I use my flashlight the most, I only really ever achieve partial dark adaptation since some other light source (car/house light, campfire, smartphone surfacing) is always polluting my eyes. I use the "brighter" moonlight modes as my general purpose low mode indoors, and for close task work, with 3 lumens as my "medium" mode for outdoors (eg, dog walking). For those middle-of-the-night bathroom runs when moonlight mode is blinding, I just bury the bezel in my fist and use my pinkie as an aperture control.

Course beam profile is big factor too - I like an XML in medium sized head and XPG in small head for a nice balance between flood and throw.

10382792495_d7a2fee1c2_z.jpg

flight777

Newly Enlightened
What did you end up buying, Flight777?

Nothing yet. Been saving my $$$. I'll try the Klarus Mi10 first because it's small and cheap. If that doesn't work, I'm looking at either the Xeno ES1 or EagleTac D25A Clicky as a Plan B. I'll report my findings. Thanks for all the good tips and info!

~David

StorminMatt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Does it have to be LED?
How about an old incan Mag Solitaire?
The more you drain the battery the better it gets (if you want it dim).

I agree. And if you want it dim, you can always buy some zinc carbon batteries at a dollar store to make it dimmer. Best of all, it truly IS a a moonlight mode only light. You certainly won't have to worry a out it accidently being turned on or switched to a higher mode.

Latest posts