Anybody into small knives

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
As an urban dweller who sits in front of a laptop all day, the whole point of carrying a folder for me is to have quick access to the blade for those countless daily chores like opening packages and so forth. A small blade does that kind of thing just as easily as a large one, and leaves room for all of the other EDC cr*p I carry. I carry also a Vic Spirit multitool, but the blade does not have the lightning fast deployment that you get from a folder.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Besides the Leatherman Micra that's always in my pocket I often will carry a Kershaw Chive or recently a Gerber Mini Fast Draw.

Geoff

gjg

Enlightened
OK Folks: How about a 1.9" S30V bladed, Ti-scaled, hand made, fully functional dual-action auto that fits easily in a jeans watch pocket. It's really a neat piece, NEVER have seen a faster auto opener - heck it's got a REALLY small arc to open in... Micro-Spitfire made by Larry Chew out of Texas. I think he gave up on making this particular model, though....

Greg :D

Last edited:

datan

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys,

I love my small knives. In Australia we aren't really allowed to carry any knife at all including SAKs, but carrying a small knife instead of a large one might mean the difference of you being able to talk yourself out of trouble with the law if you get caught with them.

Here are a few I'd recommend from the Spyderco range:
Lava
Dragonfly
Ladybug
Cricket
Kopa
Kiwi
....few more available....but here are some of my pics of the ones I have :)

Kopa (some of them)
DSC_2271.jpg

DSC_2284.jpg

Lava
DSC_1452.jpg

Dragonfly
DSC_7059.jpg

I use all of them, and the Ladybug (not shown) sits on my keychain and is used all the time. It doesn't raise any eyebrows even when used openly in public.

Cheers
Dan

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Smaller things can serve very useful functions when similar larger items are not as convient. Some of my favorite smaller tools.

smallthings.jpg

xcel730

Flashlight Enthusiast
I work in NYC and take the subway everyday. There are a few stations that have police doing random bag checks. Even if I carry a legal size Spydero Delica, the LEO could potentially give me problems. Also, I work in an office in Manhattan where noone carries knives, flashlights, or any emergency gears. In the past, I would alternate among Spyderco Delica, Spyderco Paramilitary, Benchmade Mini Skirmish, and Chris Reeve Sebenza knife. Whenever I opened my knife, my coworkers will give me a look :confused::huh: :shakehead. Then I started carry less threating looking knives with me. I still carry three knives all the time (two of which are keychain knives):

(1) AG Russell Ultimate Pen Knife - I used to have a SOG micron, which I didn't like too much, but couldn't find a better one. Now I found the perfect keychain knife. The AG Russell pen knife is super lightweight (0.2 ounces), titanium handle, VG-10 blade (59-61 HRc), and scarey sharp. I use this knife for lightweight cutting.

(2) Kershaw Two-Can - This is more of scissor, but could be a knife I guess.

(3) Doug Ritter Mk4 - A nice gentleman knife made by Lone Wolf (limited edition). It's very small in size, but quite powerful. It has an attractive silver tweed G-10 handle, Paul locking mechanism (pretty sweet), S30V recurved blade. It's quite ironic that when I use this knife, most people would ask to see it instead of being scared.

Since knives #1 and #2 are on my keychain, they're with me at all times. Knife #3, I alternate it among my slipjoint knives (have about 50 of them). Among my favorites are Case Canoe, Sowbelly, and Stockman. I also have Queen, Schatt and Morgan, Great Eastern Cutlery, Northwood, Canal Street Cutlery, and among others that I would ocassionally switch with. It's not easy to be in the city.

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love small knives too. But, I have purchased a few because I do live in MA., and go to Boston, so I carry a Boston legal knife. Here are the small knives; with 2 1/2 inch blades that I carry when I need to carry a small knife.
SolarArc1.jpg

SolarArclockup.jpg

OpenSolarArc.jpg

PICT0014.jpg

OpenMiniScrapper.jpg

MiniScrapppeGeckolockup.jpg

MiniScrapperGecko-Geckoside.jpg

OpenMiniWhiplash.jpg

Mini-Whiplash-theotherside.jpg

OpenLittleteaser.jpg

OpenLittleTeaser2.jpg

ClosedLittleTeaser.jpg

FrogmanM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Up until now I refused to believe Atwood made folders....scary stuff my good sir!:duh2:

Mayo

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to think that anything under 3" was a 'small' knife, but my most recent knife, with a 2 5/8" blade, has made me re-think this.

Besides, I did not realize there were many places outside of a courthouse that a 2 5/8" blade would be too big. I guess I am pretty spoiled with Missouri's under 4" laws.

schiesz

Dantor

Enlightened
For small and for the versatility I like SAKs too, you can do so much with them.
and they just came out with the new Wengers!

the EVO grip 18;
1zgrsz6.jpg

and the EVO soft touch 14;
29cbgie.jpg

(felinevet has em)

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
I love small stuff ( 3.0" and under ) . I EDC a Strider PT , and carry lots of sub 3.0 Spydercos . Im a fan of the Boker Wharcom and subclaw . I rarely carry anything bigger than 3.0" .

I also want to get a Spydi Urban when they come out .

Except for slicing bread , a sub 3.0" will do it all !

Chris

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Spyderco makes some awesome small knives. I suggest that you take a look at the Spyderco Spin, Lava, and Dragonfly.