Anyone pocket EDC a 2xAA light?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
What kind of light is it? I imagine it's not in the $50 price range I'm going for :)

Well technically one (I have two) cost $45 (a Quark with 2 different battery tubes), but I nabbed it on one of the great holiday sales. You can currently config this single tube version for $60 delivered (~300 Selfbuilt-lumens max though).

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I'm not totally opposed to going with a light that uses a different battery type. ... I should not have looked at the Fenix website. The UC35 looks so friggin cool.

Enlightened
I'm not totally opposed to going with a light that uses a different battery type. ... I should not have looked at the Fenix website. The UC35 looks so friggin cool.
I have AA/AAA and 18650 lights and if I had a choice between 2AA or 18650 for carry, I'd take the latter. I currently have one AAA light on the keychain and one 18650 light in the bag. I'm not sure how the side button of the UC35 would handle EDC but the built in USB charger could come in handy in a pinch.

JerryM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not carry anything larger than a 1 AA light. I prefer twistys due to size. I like the AceBeam L10. Excellent and not expensive. I do wish it had a higher lumen low mode. Regardless of their ads it is about 12-15. It does run a long time.

Jerry

C-channel

Newly Enlightened
LD22 works well for me. It is more powerful and runs longer than an AA light. I EDC it with me daily. No fuss.

Edit: I have the Eagtac D25A2 also. you may wish to consider that.

Last edited:

Charles L.

Enlightened

UC35 does look nice. Nothing wrong with 2xAA, but I suspect you'd prefer something shorter for EDC once you tried it. So many nice options out there these days for EDC, the mind reels. Quarks are great, lots of Fenix models, the rechargeable baton series Olights, the Zebralights …. and that's just a start. My personal fave is the Zebralight SC62, but I don't have a bad thing to say about any of the lights mentioned here. You could probably end up with a different EDC for each day of the month, and all would be a good choice.

Another good choice if you're looking for a front pocket EDC: Foursevens Preon or Preon 2. Sweet little 2xAAA penlights. Preon 2 can still be purchased with the Nichia 219 emitter from a well-known vendor. As can the L3 Illuminations L10 or L10C… I could go on :)

Enlightened
I do not carry anything larger than a 1 AA light. I prefer twistys due to size. I like the AceBeam L10. Excellent and not expensive. I do wish it had a higher lumen low mode. Regardless of their ads it is about 12-15. It does run a long time. Jerry
That's the great thing about the SC62. It's no bigger than most AA lights but packs one 18650 cell for extra punch.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
6 inches is a lot to go in a front pocket (that's what she said). My work requires business casual dress so I wear khaki pants all the time. The pockets are definitely deep enough to accommodate the light but it's hard to imagine how it will look/feel by just sticking a tape measure in my pocket

Try pocketing a D40A .. is that a light in your pocket or are you really happy ... ?

Years of carrying 2xAA lights in my pocket, I had to do was make way for the phone, which gets bigger and bigger these days.

ghosty

Newly Enlightened
Just when I was settled on the LD12, I saw an ad on this page for the Olight S15 Baton. It looks awesome!

If you are in for the Olight S15, I would say get the newer version, S15R, instead.

The S15R have nicer button that have never turned on in my pocket.
It came with a Li-Ion rechargeable battery (AA size) that can go very bright (~500 lumen).
Also recharging is easy with charging base.
You can also get an extension tube to use 2 AA battery, if you really want 2 AA.
The build quailty is really good.

I EDC it for a while in my side cargo pants pocket.
I have 2 complain about the S15R. the pocket clip can't really do bezel down carry, and the color tint is really green due to the XM-L2.
Hope this helps.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
I just pulled the trigger on a Fenix UC35!!! A bundle with red filter, extra Fenix 3200mAh rechargeable, and two CR123A's. When I started my search to replace my Nitecore D10 I had in mind a $20 budget. That then changed to $50. I settled on $100 LOL. The wife was upset when she found out I paid $75 for the D10 (customizations including trit on the top of the piston) so I was going to play it safe. Turns out that March is my birthday month and I got the green light to spend more. Flashlights are cool and I'm a sucker for a sweet gadget. I think my next quest will be to find some nice looking khaki cargo pants :)

Charles L.

Enlightened
I just pulled the trigger on a Fenix UC35!!! A bundle with red filter, extra Fenix 3200mAh rechargeable, and two CR123A's. When I started my search to replace my Nitecore D10 I had in mind a $20 budget. That then changed to $50. I settled on $100 LOL. The wife was upset when she found out I paid $75 for the D10 (customizations including trit on the top of the piston) so I was going to play it safe. Turns out that March is my birthday month and I got the green light to spend more. Flashlights are cool and I'm a sucker for a sweet gadget. I think my next quest will be to find some nice looking khaki cargo pants :)

Sweet! Hope you enjoy.

radiopej

Enlightened
I was going to suggest the Oliver S15R as it has a recessed button, and the Fenix ones you mentioned are quite good too. However, good to see you got CPF'd into buying the UC35. While I find it noticeable (in terms of feel) in my jeans pocket, it's quite an awesome little light :)

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
LOL yes I got CPF'd. :) After reading a mind-numbing number of reviews and watching many videos, it felt good to make the decision about the light that I wanted. As far as the UC35 being noticeable in the pocket, I know it will be - especially over the 1 AA format I'm used to. However, I've been carrying a cheap-o brinkman 2 AA around in my pocket as an experiment and I've even forgotten it is there. It is 6.5" long and 1" wide at the head, and doesn't even have a pocket clip to keep it in one place.

Razorhog

Newly Enlightened
This will be my first day to carry the UC35. I barely know it's there, especially with the way the pocket is angled on khaki pants. I carry an iPhone 6 Plus and the UC35 in the same pocket. This is a very impressive light.