Anyone see the new Olight I7R????

kj2

Flashaholic
Photo from GoingGear

c3334ce9f6f9dcdecf8806e3375e0465.jpg

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes. And let's not forget the Peak Eiger variations.

Right! And none of them are afflicted with an unwanted magnet on the end! Which is why I own those, and won't own one of these.

gteague

Newly Enlightened
1700 worldwide, IIRC. Olight has a pretty wide reach, so that's not that many.

even though i'd just bought a fenix ti aaa light i got your newsletter or sale notice today with the blurb of this light and i placed the order immediately. nice discount--tks for the coupon in your newsletter.

hopefully this will nicely complement the s10r and the s30r which i just received yesterday. i pigged out on olight! it's henry's fault, his hds lights last forever ... [g]

/guy

gteague

Newly Enlightened
even though i'd just bought a fenix ti aaa light i got your newsletter or sale notice today with the blurb of this light and i placed the order immediately. nice discount--tks for the coupon in your newsletter.

hopefully this will nicely complement the s10r and the s30r which i just received yesterday. i pigged out on olight! it's henry's fault, his hds lights last forever ... [g]

/guy

i'm sure i'll easily figure it out when it arrives, but i don't understand how the ui works. if you remove the head from the magnetic tailcap it comes on, right? without the tailpiece can you turn it on and off and adjust the brightness? does that mean there's a twist component to it as well? i can't imagine not being able to turn it off because it's not attached to the tailcap.

there's not a pdf version of the manual online is there? i haven't had any luck finding any of the olight manuals in digital form.

/guy

GoingGear.com

Enlightened
i'm sure i'll easily figure it out when it arrives, but i don't understand how the ui works. if you remove the head from the magnetic tailcap it comes on, right? without the tailpiece can you turn it on and off and adjust the brightness? does that mean there's a twist component to it as well? i can't imagine not being able to turn it off because it's not attached to the tailcap.

there's not a pdf version of the manual online is there? i haven't had any luck finding any of the olight manuals in digital form.

/guy

Yes, it's a head twist to switch between the two outputs. Turn it far enough and the light will turn off. A local customer figured out that the mechanism that turns the light on and off when attached to the base is actually mechanical, which is not what I though. I thought it was electronic or even magnetic based.

Also, the i7R should not be charged on a SxxR base. The i7R base is a lower current than the SxxR black bases. SxxR can be charged on the i7R white base, but it will be very slow. Just found this all out tonight...

kj2

Flashaholic
Yes, it's a head twist to switch between the two outputs. Turn it far enough and the light will turn off. A local customer figured out that the mechanism that turns the light on and off when attached to the base is actually mechanical, which is not what I though. I thought it was electronic or even magnetic based.

Also, the i7R should not be charged on a SxxR base. The i7R base is a lower current than the SxxR black bases. SxxR can be charged on the i7R white base, but it will be very slow. Just found this all out tonight...

Good to know :)

radiopej

Enlightened
The magnet feature is cool, but I'd like to be able to have it on while hanging. The slanted shape also feels a little weird.

To be honest, a titanium i3S with a butt-magnet and a toggle-able auto on would have been perfect. I'd still like pen, but I feel the i3S is inherently better.

curlysir

Newly Enlightened
Just received my 17R. Very nice. Took me a while to figure out that to charge the flashlight you have to screw the head in as if you were turning it on, or turn it on before you charge it. If this was in the instructions I missed it. The charger is 250mA which as others have pointed out is a lower charge rate then the other SR lights which are 500mA or 750mA for the S30R.

Now to find a spare battery. I cannot find the Olight 10440 battery anywhere to buy.

Last edited:

celler

Newly Enlightened
I can't seem to get mine to go into high on a fully-charged battery. It seems like its a standard Olight screw, unscrew interface but I can only get one mode (which seems to be low) when I do this. I'm going to pull the battery and put it on my Thrunite MCC-4 just to make sure its not a a charger issue.

Edit: Oh, I also had to figure out that in order to make a connection with the charger, the head has to be screwed on to turn the light on. And you are correct, it is not in the manual.

Second edit: I figured it out. Its a first generation Fenix-type interface. Tighen for low, super tight for high. This is made a little more difficult by the less than smooth titanium threads.

Last edited:

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light has a very nice beam. Some interesting stuff here, with the charger supplied with the light I think it would make a nice gift light allow a novice light user to get into a 10440 based light. The interface is simple too, and the ON upon removal from it's holder is pretty cool. However I don't really see it as a keychain light given it's magnetic holder and the need to have it off the holder to illuminate. but it seems to make a great small house light or one to keep clipped onto a pack, tool box, or any other place that some keeper could be attached. The price is a little high and the white charger is ugly. The light looks nicer and much smaller than the photographs make it appear.

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
This light has a very nice beam. Some interesting stuff here, with the charger supplied with the light I think it would make a nice gift light allow a novice light user to get into a 10440 based light. The interface is simple too, and the ON upon removal from it's holder is pretty cool. However I don't really see it as a keychain light given it's magnetic holder and the need to have it off the holder to illuminate. but it seems to make a great small house light or one to keep clipped onto a pack, tool box, or any other place that some keeper could be attached. The price is a little high and the white charger is ugly. The light looks nicer and much smaller than the photographs make it appear.

So you are sure it will not light up if attached to the holder?
This was a little misleading in the listings that I saw before ordering and makes little sense to me too?

I am afraid that between this and the D25aaa I have incoming that this whole order might be a bust for me.