Anyone tested 1.5V 14500 AA Lithium-ion batteries?

n2mb_racing

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking at 1.5V 14500 AA lithium-ion batteries for a while but haven't found any with good reviews. I need a few for low discharge applications that don't work well with NiMh batteries, i.e. they cut off at 1.25V because of poor circuit design. I hate to keep using alkaline batteries for these things. Pale blue seems to be the most common, but gets variable reviews. I saw these new cells from Vapcell that look good. I generally trust vapcell for high quality cells. Any others to consider?

fulee9999

Enlightened
I've been using the Keeppower P1450U1 ( the AA sized 1.5V li-ion ) and it's been working well. I've used it in a kitchen scale for a while and now it powers my lit desktop clock. I had to charge them 2-3 times the past years despite continuous use, so can't complain.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you looking for 1.5v do not look for 14500, this designation belongs to 3.7v li ion, even thou it represents the size of all AA cells, this particular number used only with 3.7v li ion cell.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used any, but do keep in mind that most (but not all) shut down instantly and without warning when low internal voltage limit is reached. In some things, NBD, but in a flashlight and some other devices, that can leave one in a bad situation. Most likely generate RFI (switching power supply), so don't use them in an application which can be affected by that.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never used any, but do keep in mind that most (but not all) shut down instantly and without warning when low internal voltage limit is reached. In some things, NBD, but in a flashlight and some other devices, that can leave one in a bad situation. Most likely generate RFI (switching power supply), so don't use them in an application which can be affected by that.
yes, however latest xtar cells drop to 1.1v when internal cell is low and your device low voltage warning is triggered, if there is any, or you will just notice voltage drop before it cuts off.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, however latest xtar cells drop to 1.1v when internal cell is low and your device low voltage warning is triggered, if there is any, or you will just notice voltage drop before it cuts off.
(but not all)
That is the singular exception I was referring to. That's why they'll likely be the first ones I'll try if I have such a need, unless other manufacturers follow suit, which they likely will (if they're smart). If I can find them from an acceptable U.S. distributor, I'll likely order some of them to try.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast

I posted this question twice in a 10-post thread last year, and apparently never got a response. That is not a good sign, y'all. I'm starting to think someone doesn't want to discuss this(?):

Incidentally, I'm considering trying some of those cells. My only real concern has been possible conducted &/or radiated noise / EMI / RFI. I don't know if it exists, or if so, at what levels.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Last year there was nothing to discuss, xtar came out with new cell just recently.

I don't have any of these cells so cant speak from experience, BUT as far as I can gather you need the special charger to charge these cells because of the step-down circuitry in them. Ie., you cant charge them in your regular charger. If so, I'm not sure I want to get in to special chargers for particular cells. My MC3000 has so far allowed me to do away with all others (except for 9V).

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea, you do need a special charger, thou some of AA come with usb plug, so you do not need any charger for them. xtar came out with a charger that can charge them too along with nimh, li ion,

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ones I tried out, I was not impressed with at all. The circuit on them kept tripping. One of the four out of the box never worked at all.

They also require a special proprietary charger as you're probably already aware.

XTAR Light

Enlightened
Vendor
Some users tried out many rechargeable 1.5V Li-ion batteries on the market. They told there is a big one of the characteristics of some to go from 1.5V flat horizontal output line, directly to straight vertical line drop too low instantly, without warning when the batteries runs out. Then the devices will also just suddenly stop working with no warning.

So we have made improvement on xtar 1.5V Li-ion batteries. There are low-voltage detection function on these batteries. Such as this one, https://www.xtar.cc/product/XTAR-1.5V-AA-4150mWh-Battery-210.html When the battery voltage drops to around 1.1V, your devices will remind you of power out, if it has a lower battery reminder function (such as smart doorlock). And you may also find the change after voltage drop. For example, if you use these batteries in a AA/AAA flashlights, the lighting would be dim when the power is used up. And users can charge them timely.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
Been using the Xtar 4150mWh AA's for about a month or so. I got the 8-pack+BC8 charger on Amazon. They do NOT work with high drain devices, but for 1A or less current draw they're pretty good, especially for devices, like you mention, that don't like the lower voltage of a NiMH.

I'm testing the Xtar 1.5v Lithium rechargeable 4150mWh head-to-head against Eneloop Pro 2400mAh NiMH in a 10 lumen solar garden light - unknown power draw. After 16 hours, the Eneloop is slightly dimmer than it started, the Xtar is still full brightness - at least to my eyes. At start of testing the light output was (at least visually) identical.

I'll also be setting up a test using a 3s-2p medium-drain flashlight on medium & low setting (1.5v Li-rechargeable will light high mode for about 2 minutes then starts to flash), but with only 1 flashlight, it will take quite a while to get results.

But now, I'm eying Ni-Zn rechargeables..... Stated specs:
> 1.6V nominal 1.85V fully charged
> 3000mWh claimed capacity (about 1,800mAh)
> No problem running high drain devices
> rapid charge
> keep steady output till drained

Don't know how true any of these specs are, but I've got the EBL charger + 8 AA battery set in my Amazon cart for payday... The high sustained output + ability to run high drain devices (even at reduced runtime) has definitely piqued my curiosity. BUT, the 1.85V full charge voltage could potentially be problematic for electronic devices...

n2mb_racing

Newly Enlightened
Been using the Xtar 4150mWh AA's for about a month or so. I got the 8-pack+BC8 charger on Amazon. They do NOT work with high drain devices, but for 1A or less current draw they're pretty good, especially for devices, like you mention, that don't like the lower voltage of a NiMH.

I'm testing the Xtar 1.5v Lithium rechargeable 4150mWh head-to-head against Eneloop Pro 2400mAh NiMH in a 10 lumen solar garden light - unknown power draw. After 16 hours, the Eneloop is slightly dimmer than it started, the Xtar is still full brightness - at least to my eyes. At start of testing the light output was (at least visually) identical.

I'll also be setting up a test using a 3s-2p medium-drain flashlight on medium & low setting (1.5v Li-rechargeable will light high mode for about 2 minutes then starts to flash), but with only 1 flashlight, it will take quite a while to get results.

But now, I'm eying Ni-Zn rechargeables..... Stated specs:
> 1.6V nominal 1.85V fully charged
> 3000mWh claimed capacity (about 1,800mAh)
> No problem running high drain devices
> rapid charge
> keep steady output till drained

Don't know how true any of these specs are, but I've got the EBL charger + 8 AA battery set in my Amazon cart for payday... The high sustained output + ability to run high drain devices (even at reduced runtime) has definitely piqued my curiosity. BUT, the 1.85V full charge voltage could potentially be problematic for electronic devices...
Yeah, I'm thinking about the Xtar batteries specifically for very low drain applications, like garage door monitors and smart locks. Specifically, poorly designed ones that don't work well with NiMh batteries. Ones that cut out at 1.25 v per cell, leaving a lot of capacity in the battery. Well, looking at the discharge curves again, it actually seems like not much capacity is left below 1.25V.

chaosdsm

Enlightened
WOW.... I'm testing these Xtar 1.5V 4150mWh rechargeables using single AA flashlights, Lumentop Tool 2.0 & Acebeam Pokelit AA.

The Xtar batteries are doing FAR BETTER than I expected, especially in the Tool 2.0 which has a much higher turbo output than the Pokelit. That does play out in turbo mode in both lights. Tool 2.0 in turbo mode, average runtime for the 4150mWh Xtar is about 1hr 57min. It's not a flat output then nothing, it does drop subtly over that nearly 2 hour runtime. In the Pokelit it's much better, with an average runtime of 2hr 45min in turbo mode, also with the subtle light output drop. Not at all what I was expecting, I expected minutes of runtime, not hours!!!

This put them at about 3% better runtime than the 2600mAh Eneloop Pro (black label), which run about 1hr 48min in the Tool 2.0 & 2hr 37min in the Pokelit.

Also ran 15 of them in my 5D Maglite with Malkoff 3-6D drop-in LED, by using 3xAA to 1.5V D-cell adapters. Ran for over 10 hours continuously before going dark for a short time, then ran to just over the 13 hour mark before going out for good.

vicv

Flashlight Enthusiast

This was my review of their newest charger. But I also got a couple of of these exact cells and did some testing on them. They are at the bottom of the review.