Arc6 beta test

Status
Not open for further replies.

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone know the exact currents of each level?

From light-reviews you can read, that ist only overdriven at Level7...

What is the current of Levels6 instead? :)

And perhaps someone could explain me, why my Arc6 gets very hot in
Level7 with AW's RCR123 and has a thermal stepdown after roughly
30seconds, but not with a Cr123??!! :confused:
I'll take a guess on this one: Some CR123 cells are not strong enough to even run the Arc6 at Level 7 so you may not be seeing the thermal stepdown because your light is not really at Level 7. Brand new AW RCR123 cells DO run the Arc6 at Level7 and 30 seconds is a long time (relatively) and will get hot. AW IMR cells are the best for running the Arc6 at Level7 and Level6.

If you do use CR123's that are "known" to be good and fresh, then they will drive the Arc6 at Level7 and you will feel the light get hot. There is no getting around Level7 running the light "hot".

Also keep in mind that light-reviews was using a Seoul P4 Arc6 and not the K2 emitter version, so their numbers are not going to be the same. The K2 is NOT overdriven and can handle the high amperages being used in the Arc6.

I don't have the gear (or the know how) to measure the exact currents at each level but the Arc6 website lists approximate lumen outputs at each level. http://www.arcflashlight.com/faqs.shtml

toby_pra

Flashaholic
So the K2 is not overdriven with Level7?

What rechargeables do you use in your Arc6? Somewhere i have read
that with unprotected Rcr123 i have a longer runtime on high...:candle:

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
As I said in my earlier post -- AW IMR cells work the best in an Arc6 for Level 7 and Level 6 usage. See the AW IMR sales thread in CPFMP. They are Li-MNO4 cells that are not protected and they are designed for high amp drain flashlights like the Arc6.

AMRaider

Enlightened
Does anyone know the exact currents of each level?

From light-reviews you can read, that ist only overdriven at Level7...

What is the current of Levels6 instead? :)

And perhaps someone could explain me, why my Arc6 gets very hot in
Level7 with AW's RCR123 and has a thermal stepdown after roughly
30seconds, but not with a Cr123??!! :confused:

These specs are buried in one of the Arc 6 threads. I can't remember which one otherwise I would link it, but here is the info. As each light is calibrated for Lumens, these current ratings are only approximate and will vary from light to light:

L1 - 1mA
L2 - 80mA
L3 - 250mA
L4 - 500mA
L5 - 700mA
L6 - 1A
L7 - 1.4A

From Arc's website, using an RCR123 and a P4 LED you get:

L1 < 1L
L2 = 7L
L3 = 35L
L4 = 70L
L5 = 100L
L6 >= 120L
L7 > 120L

When using a primary CR123, I do not notice any difference between levels 5, 6, and 7 with my eyes. In fact, level 4 appears to be VERY close to level 5 in brightness. It is probable that in order to take full advantage of level 6 and 7, you will need to use an RCR123 (a few other members have made comments along those lines as well). On the Arc website it says that using a primary CR123, you will get 100L on L7. I suspect that when using a primary CR123, levels 5, 6, and 7 are all around 100L. Hope that helps.

toby_pra

Flashaholic
As long as the K2 is not overdriven at Level7, everything is fine to me...:)

I cant believe taht the current raises up from 1A to 1.4A from Level6 to
Level7, because i cant see much mor brightness in Level7 comparing with the lower
Level...:confused:

Elmie

Enlightened
Toby, I take it you have the arc6 proto? I have one as well and I can clearly see a difference between L6 and L7. L7 is just insanely bright on mine...hot too!!!

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Yes i do...but IMO are the differences between Level 5 to Level 6 much more clear to me.

What rechargeables did you use?

toby_pra

Flashaholic
You are right, but as mentioned before the RCR123 from AW are high protected, that causes the "early" stepdown. But the unprotected new IMR's
may work a little longer, than the normal RCR123's...

Elmie

Enlightened
Well if you hand hold the light to draw the heat away it way go much longer than the 30 seconds you are getting. As for the protected 123's and step down, I guess it really depends on much amperage the light is drawing, which is why we see so many mixed results.

toby_pra

Flashaholic
What did you mean with with the amperage the light is drawing?

My Arc6 steps down after 30seconds in level6 and 7 too...

I think with using other rechargeables it would step down later, but i
do not know which one to take?!

Elmie

Enlightened
L7 has no regulation from what I gather. So depending on the LED the amount of power drawn will be dependent on that....I'm guess.

orcinus

Flashlight Enthusiast
According to Peter, L7 is "semi-regulated" but was described as unregulated for simplicity's sake. It probably goes in and out of regulation depending on the state of the cell.

Regarding cells, the Powerizer unprotected RCR123's seem to work very well with L6 and L7. I have yet to see any of the four i use choke up on it or otherwise misbehave in any way. Also, with one of them in my K2 Arc6 i can see the difference between the levels. It's sometimes hard to tell the difference by eye because levels 6 and 7 (5 too? can't remember right now) ramp up to full current instead of just "blinking" on.

Status
Not open for further replies.