Are coast lights that bad?

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I've always seen the low-budget Coast lights as decent for the money. They make a good cheap option to recommend to non-flashaholics who are used to the 3-AAA 9-LED $1 lights you find in chain stores. The HP1 or G19, for example, are around $10 on Amazon.

The more expensive ones though? It always seems like there is something better at the same price point.

Last edited:

Short_Circuit

Newly Enlightened
I've always seen the low-budget Coast lights as decent for the money. They make a good cheap option to recommend to non-flashaholics who are used to the 3-AAA 9-LED $1 lights you find in chain stores. The HP1 or G19, for example, are around $10 on Amazon.

The more expensive ones though? It always seems like there is something better at the same price point.

I was in Walmart today just to look at the coast Flash lights. The one they had was I think the HP5 or maybe HP55, anyway it took 9 AA Batteries, I think it was 1000 lumens. What kept me from buying was the price tag. $59.00 I think, might have been $69.00 and what it comes down to for me is what you said, There are better lights out there at that price point so I passed on that deal.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
No Coast lights are NOT bad. Began my flashaholism with Coast lights I still have 10 or 12 all of which are VERY good flashlights especially when run off NiMHs or L91's(AA Energizer Ultimate Lithiums). Coast variable focus is the best in the industry weather its a twist focus head or slide focus head. Where Coast really shines is in their bigger lights. Using an optic instead of a reflector Coast lights are a nice departure from the norm and for what they can do are dirt cheap. For example the Coast HP550 is sold at most Wal Marts. Its 60 bucks I think? Despite the fact that you have to feed it 9(!!)AA cells to power it and it still has an old XM-L emitter the light still does crank 1000 lumens and with its big head has above average throw and the flood beam is massive and well defined. I power my HP550 off 9 L91's for FULL POWAH!! It rocks. Coast variable focus lights toast any big Mag in beam quality in flood position. Now there is the new HP17 which amazingly has a new XP-L emitter and an aspheric lens!! Its HUGE even bigger than the HP550, power mine off of 3x10000mah Tenergy premiums and its amazing. The hot spot out the new HP17 is square due to the aspheric lens but boy its a big bad high out put light that throws further than the HP550 by roughly 100 yards which is a LOT. Its flood beam is of course nonvenomous and well defined.

Smaller Coasts Ive got in the 150-225 lumen range are very well made throw very very well and unlike any other light in their size classes have first rate variable focus beams. Lots of CPFers poo poo Coast because they are basic direct drive lights with no regulation. This problem is greatly reduced using NiMH's and L91's. 90% of Coast lights are out standing values. The HP7 Pro is pushing it $60 for 320 lumens running off AAA?

They are a lot better than their LED Lenser counterparts which are priced ridiculously high. Only a couple LL lights are really worth buying. LL seems stuck in 2005 technology wise so they get poo pood here a lot. The tiny Coasts are well...you get what you pay very little for. To get the best out of Coast go big. The cost of a Walmart HP550 + $20 worth of L91's is worth it. It cranks, L91s last a surprisingly long time in the light and some purists will argue its traditional round throw beam is easier on the eye than the square hot spot of the new HP17. My HP7 Pro is my house light. Id say its actual lumen output is pretty close to what is claimed, its built very very well and has above average throw and sliding head variable focus.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Ima somewhat Coast fan boy.

I grew up around Mag', Kel-Lites and another big ole cop light I forget the name of. That's what the grownups used while we used our rayovac 6 volt lanterns. When I started out on my own it was Mag Lite or bust. Gotta have that zoom light.

Fast forward to the now. I recently discovered the Coast HP7. Got that 360 model in titanium color which kinda matches my pewter mag collection. Anyway, this summer I beat the crap outta that light. Couldn't tell ya how many times I dropped it, kicked it, fell in mud, got rained on, dropped in fresh concrete etc. (pre-lanyard useage) So after about a month of same supplied batteries I found the HP7R. Being a fan of zoom lights that choice was easy. Comes with a proprietery battery that allows the light to shine on high a good long time. And the throw rivals the D size mag.
The HP7R is a way better thrower than flood. A non rechargeable version is the HP7 TAC. Pretty much the same characteristics as the R model. Just uses 4 AAA's. But throw in some eneloop pros and all that rapid dimming is minimized greatly. Yet the throw is similar and the flood is awesome.

Opting for simple I went back in time and found the HP7 in 251 (or 201 depending on where you read) model of the HP7. Hi/Lo, and much better battery life on high. Floods just as good and throws just as good as the 360 model, just not quite as bright. I have one of each color and each model of the HP7...well take that back, I have duplicates of the titaniums.

I'm also a big fan of that little HP1. It too has been beat up pretty good and after about 12 hours still gets it done on the RadioShack alkaline AA.

I like the LED Lenser P7 with it's reverse clicky low thing and it's massive weight. Bought that as part of the HP7 collection.

Now if I want copy paper white output against a white wall, the coast don't cut it. But when I need to see this...in a hurry,
I don't give a flyin' flip about some purple, yellow, green or blue. I want light, and lots of it. Now! Throw in some eneloops and forget about it until you need it.

^^ the HP7 360 and the HP7R.

^^ HP7 360 after about 30 minutes of on/off cycles a few minutes at a time with supplied batteries. I use medium (211 lumens) mostly with that type, but pic was taken after only using it on high.

^^ HP7R after about 6 hours on a charge. Same scenerio, on/off a few minutes at a time cycles.That's a house boat about 1000' away that nobody I work withs flashlight could get to show...regardless of price, lumens or purity of light source.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-Coast-HP7R-Rechargeable-(Li-ion-pack-4x-AAA)

Ihttp://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?392661-Coast-HP1

Last edited:

CaptainBrock

Newly Enlightened
Maybe they're not so "BAD", but I doubt many here will so they are "GOOD"; I would have to say they are definitely "SO-SO". For the money you may as well step up to a well-engineered light instrument.
I scorn the use of AAA batteries for power. These cells cost the same as AA batteries with far less capacity. They typically put three of these 1.5 volt cells in series to meet the voltage requirement of an LED, so they will not need a driver (or current regulator.) This in itself is inefficient and wasteful.
This Coast brand is designed for mass retail marketing and does not deliver performance or value. Avoid!

Zorzi

Newly Enlightened
Good is relative. Good for what? Good for whom? For me spe ificaly, the coaster/LLs are ok (not outstanding): the inneficiency of having to use 4xAAA batteries annoys me, but I do like the focus feature. The build quality looks good as well. Most flashaholics consider them inferior because of the less sophisticated electronics, and in this respect so do I as well. I have some Nitecores and Olights that have comparable price tags. Overall, the chinese lights are superior, for my kind of use.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I don't think so. I have the HP550 (I run Eneloops) and 2 HP1s (Efest 14500). I like the build quality, clean bodies (free of www., QR codes, warnings etc.), and lifetime warranty. The quick spot to flood feature is very nice.

TheShadowGuy

Enlightened
I don't think so. I have the HP550 (I run Eneloops) and 2 HP1s (Efest 14500). I like the build quality, clean bodies (free of www., QR codes, warnings etc.), and lifetime warranty. The quick spot to flood feature is very nice.

The spot to flood feature and optic are some nice selling points. How well does the HP1 run on 14500s compared to other budget lights?

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just my 2¢....
Coast as a stock light.... Mediocre at best electronics wise...
The bodies make great hosts tho!
The poor choice in LED bins and the horrid PWM (if any driver at all) is enough to shy me away...unless I can upgrade it.
I've upgraded a few for clients and my personal fav (coast polysteel 600) with better drivers and better LED bins, as well as battery option upgrades.
My house light has a user selectable multi mode 3.5A mtn electronics driver, high CRI warm white xml2 with beefed up heatsinking and now runs a single 26650imr BUT retains the ability to use the stock 4AA holder as well.
The rotary focus is great, I prefer that over slide focus. The flood is flawless and spot is extremely clean as well and throws beautifully.
Switch remains stock and clicking thru modes is simple.
Now given, I'm the kinda guy who looks at lights as prospects rather than buy and deal with it, I'd say for MOST people who aren't light snobs like I, Coast lights are functional and impressive and certainly affordable, plus, should one decide to upgrade it in the future, it's a simple and affordable task.

Screwball69N

Newly Enlightened
I just started dismantling all my different Coast Flashlights I have 6 or 7 different models from over the years and I so wish I would have just thrown them away first hand heat them up really good they will come apart like butter and then you will see the inner cheapest workings of a flashlight that I will never buy again I am hoping to mod some of these up to XHP35 HI with 18650 batteries but we will see they do have a nice frame hand fit so if I can get these updateed with the focus they could be a bad blinding flashlight

Screwball69N

Newly Enlightened
My finel work junk with completely outdated technolgy but nice outer design if you can mod and push 1000 or more lumans out of it and get a 100000 cadela with the focus factor this could be a vary leathal flashlight but I'll never waist another 50 dallors bill or higher on this company again not when there's little 2 dallor zoomies out there that blow it away

LightObsession

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm quite fond of my Coast HX5. I've been carrying it daily for about a year and am quite satisfied.

Kd5jha

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering... Are coast lights bad? I have seen a lot of hate for Coast on cpf for a reason I don't know.
I have seen people saying: "the regulation is bad(If it has regulation) but Nimh batteries help." But, that issue is not of much importance to me because I have a large stash of rechargeable batteries. And the build quality is just fine. So, I was pondering if coast lights are bad or good because I have 2 Coast Flashlights(hp550 And hp5) and a stash of batteries... So are they good or not? :candle:

------

I personally do not feel that the larger coast lights represent a good value for money. I don't like running AAA cells in my primary light. If I must run primary cells I want CR123 in my primary light. Lightweight and energy dense. AA or AAA is fine for a backup light.

I I run a coast HX5 with 2500mah 3.7v lithium primary cell in it as a pocket light, and a g20 AAA penlight as a back pocket secondary light but I consider neither a full power light.

I want something with 2-3 cr123 or single 18650 to handle primary light duty. Preferably with a single on/off click mode or at most momentary high and constant high/low with tail cap switch.

I love the the surefire interface with tail cap lockout and simple modes. Streamlight Protac's can also be programmed like this for high only.

easilyled

Flashaholic
If I recall correctly, another criticism of these lights are that they are not sealed well against the elements, so probably wouldn't do well in rain.

I don't know if that's still true. Has anyone checked whether they have solid O-ring seals at all points where water could enter?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ I've put an HP7 through some 'weather' and it held up just fine.
I had to find a downed wire source in a down pour, dropped it in mud, fresh concrete and left it outside several times in heavy dew.
Dropped it dozens of times on asphalt pavement or concrete, even saw it get run over by my coworkers pickup truck. (For clarity it got smooshed into the dirt).
That was back in the summer of 015. It is now my wifes bedside table flashlight using eneloop pro cells.

We like that it's direct drive so it dims as fuel drops instead of "whoops my light just fell below x voltage so now it's dark"...

A G25 has provided light while I got several non working flashlights going again.

Coast lights are ok. Sure they don't have 10 guage wire or the latest chip, but they make great gifts to the non discriminating family or friend who want something besides a Maglite.

JohnnyBravo

Enlightened
I just got my 410 lumens version of the HP7. So far so good. I'll use up the alkalines that came w/ it; then I'll switch to some Eneloops. My HP7 and HP550 just feel solid! ;-)

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the bigger Coast lights are amazing values and well made. I prefer them to their much more expensive LED Lenser cousins. I have a few HP7's,HP550 both the old and new HP17's. They are still the best adjustable focus lights in my opinion

cfarrell

Newly Enlightened
I've a Coast HP550. I have it for 2-3 years now. I've not taken it apart, but it appears to be very well made, and and I've had absolutely no problems with it at all.

It's been dropped a handful of times with no ill effects.

I bought a second one as a gift for a friend who uses it regularly on camping trips, and it's holding up well.

My only complaint (if you could call it that) is that it's heavy for hiking trips. But the weight does add to the sturdyness feel.

Colm

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
So basically, meh. You could probably do better for the money, but they aren't intrinsically horrific, either. Since the money has been spent, use them until they break and then decide if you liked them enough to replace them.

For my money, I wouldn't buy one, and I certainly wouldn't count on one in an emergency, but that's also why we typically have more than one light - because even the best flashlight in the world can, and probably will, fail at the worst possible time.